Hole in the Rock Road to be paved?

I'm thinking at least we're glad they paved Hwy 12. Doh!!! Now I did it. Half of you are probably gonna say they should have left it alone.

I'm thinking at least we're glad they paved Hwy 12. Doh!!! Now I did it. Half of you are probably gonna say they should have left it alone.

For what it's worth, I'm don't so much mind that that road is paved. It's those dead ends into the wilderness I'm not so down with.

I think this is pretty timely for this thread.
Abbey in SLC in 1988. Part 1:

Parts 2 and 3 are great too.

Thanks for that post Greg!

I believe we first got a hair up our butt, about seeing all the cool Utah and Arizona stuff, from old Ed. I'm thinking the book was called Slickrock. Awesome pictures and words about desert colors and canyons and waters. We "had to" see some of this stuff.

So.. in the late 70's early 80's we did: Burr Trail, Coyote Gulch, Cottonwood road, Paria Canyon and Buckskin Gulch, Grand Canyon for a week with a midnight hike up the Hermits Tr, White Rim (before mt bikes) and...... (one of our dumber one's).... canoe down the Escalante from Hwy12 and up Hole in the Rock. At least that was the plan. This actually turned into hauling canoes down HITR to the lake, paddle up the Escalante and then haul them back up HITR. Reason? The Escalante river looked way too low for us to canoe at Hwy12. We figured it would be a pinball ride and probable disaster. So..... If the Mormon's could take wagons down the HITR, we sure as hell could carry canoes up and down it. Youthful exuberance!! Talk about an adventure driving that road out to the end. Yee Haw!!

So yes, leave HITR Rd alone, along with Cottonwood Rd, Skutumpah, Notom, and all the others that make it just a little bit of an effort to get to.

Hauling a canoe down the Hole in the Rock.

00289_s_9aek6kw8m0366.jpg

00278_s_9aek6kw8m0355.jpg

"Beyond the Hundredth Meridian" is an amazing book.

I stand somewhere in the middle on this issue. I'm not for paving it, but I think leaving it unmaintained is a step in the wrong direction. How many people would honestly rather spend even more time driving down that road? In the short term I don't think paving the road would have much of an impact because most of the spurs are rough enough to keep a lot of people away anyway. I can't drive my car on most of the spurs, so even with the current maintenance I consider the area to be generally high clearance territory. Down the line it would likely become an issue, though. Once the main road is paved I think it's only a matter of time before they'd start paving spur roads. Then we're looking at the Escalante truly becoming overrun, and that would be a damn shame.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
F Hole in the Rock Road Conditions General Discussion 7
WillisBodillus Hole-in-the-Rock Road General Discussion 13
AustinCronnelly Hole in the Rock Road - May '12 Hiking & Camping 5
NateGeesaman Hole in the Rock Road Trip Planning 9
XID_AZ Willow Gulch from Hole in the Rock Trip Planning 4
Jimmy Hole in the Rock Car Camping Trip Planning 0
G Hole in the Rock Hitchhiking Trip Planning 6
Nick Hole-in-the-Rock State Park? General Discussion 18
powderglut 1981 Hole In The Rock Canoe Adventure On The Water 24
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Rock Creek Lake-Hells Hole Hiking & Camping 2
WasatchWill Backpacking Hole In the Rock Trail Trip Planning 21
M Hole in the Rock in Early June Trip Planning 1
steve Planning a packrafting trip to Hole in the Rock Trail - April 10-12 Meet Up (Members Only) 74
IntrepidXJ Hole in the Rock Area Recreation Study to Kick Off General Discussion 1
powderglut Hole in the Rock Base Camp Trip Planning 3
Nurrgle Car Camping Spots along Hole in the Rock Trip Planning 4
Nick Hole-in-the-Rock and Bighorn Canyon, Escalante Hiking & Camping 14
LarryBoy Is there anything technical in White Canyon above the Black Hole? Trip Planning 16
ram Black Hole 1-1-22 Canyoneering 1
Stephanie B Lockhart Road and Bobby's Hole Trip Planning 7
Titans Rick’s Recovery : Paw Hole Sand trap, winch to the rescue! My Lizzy moment, ha…. General Discussion 24
RyanP road from Hite to Water Hole Flat Trip Planning 20
McKee80 Shenandoah - Old Fat Guy in a Swimming Hole Backpacking 6
ram Black Hole 1-1-20 Canyoneering 4
NorthwestWanderer Olympic Peninsula - Rialto Beach / Hole in the Wall / & 2 Bonus Waterfalls Hiking & Camping 6
ram Black Hole 1-1-19 Canyoneering 9
Brian Skibbe Teton Wilderness, GTNP, Jackson Hole 2017 Hiking & Camping 8
regehr 9 dead, boy missing in flash flood in Arizona swim hole General Discussion 1
r3biker Jones Hole in Dinosaur National Monument Backpacking 4
D Coyote Buttes South Paw Hole or Cottonwood Cove (or both) Trip Planning 3
Absarokanaut Jackson Hole Mt. Resort Closed Until Further Notice General Discussion 4
George_Washington_Hayduke Clearwater Canyon, Black Hole of White Canyon, Dark Canyon, Swett Canyon "Packraftoneering" Canyoneering 6
ram January 1st 2017- Black Hole Canyoneering 0
chandlerwest South Coyote Buttes - Paw Hole Hiking & Camping 13
Dave Hell Hole Lake, August 2015 Backpacking 6
IntrepidXJ Little Hole Hiking & Camping 3
Tye Dye Twins TRIBAL in action! The Jackson Hole Film!! Winter Sports 14
hatchcanyon Jackson Hole Off Road 8
scatman Sevenmile Hole - YNP - June 11, 2014 Backpacking 5
scatman Sevenmile Hole - YNP Trip Planning 14
Udink Thompson Hole Hiking & Camping 5
Bill Hell's Hole 2012 General Discussion 9
Bill Zion Swimming Hole General Discussion 4
Nurrgle Hole in the tire road! General Discussion 6
Yvonne How can I fix a hole in the bottom of my daypack? Gear 9
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10