Hi From Far Away

3DegreesSouth

Hi All,

I discovered this site last year and have been lurking a bit so I thought I would sign up. I grew up doing backpacking trips in CO and AK, but hadn't hiked in the U.S. for a while until last year when my boyfriend and I did a 6 day backpack in southern Utah. We are planning another for this year as well. I have lived in Tanzania for about 10 years now and have found this site to be a great resource for the U.S. as I am now a bit out of the loop. I am lucky in that I have been able to do a reasonable amount of hiking and backpacking in the Serengeti, especially in the last few years. I may not be able to contribute as much practical information regarding the U.S. as some others here, but hopefully a few pics and tidbits of our adventures here will provide some with entertainment and fodder for armchair traveling!

A few pics from TZ:

P1300448.JPG P1270420.JPG DJI_0027.JPG P1300488.JPG P1270570.JPG

Hi All,

I discovered this site last year and have been lurking a bit so I thought I would sign up. I grew up doing backpacking trips in CO and AK, but hadn't hiked in the U.S. for a while until last year when my boyfriend and I did a 6 day backpack in southern Utah. We are planning another for this year as well. I have lived in Tanzania for about 10 years now and have found this site to be a great resource for the U.S. as I am now a bit out of the loop. I am lucky in that I have been able to do a reasonable amount of hiking and backpacking in the Serengeti, especially in the last few years. I may not be able to contribute as much practical information regarding the U.S. as some others here, but hopefully a few pics and tidbits of our adventures here will provide some with entertainment and fodder for armchair traveling!

A few pics from TZ:

View attachment 54372 View attachment 54371 View attachment 54370 View attachment 54369 View attachment 54373

Welcome. Glad you joined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. It is always good to get perspective from all many places. I know I for one have a list of places to hike that include more than the US, so its good to see people from outside the US on the site.

Awesome!

If you're camping in the Serengeti I guess you can't
hang your food high enough to keep the giraffes out?:)

Seriously though, what kind of precautions do you have to
take when camping there?

Good stuff! Thanks

Wow, welcome. Thanks for the pics. I prefer to have armed guards when I backpack also. :)

If you don't mind me asking, what were the circumstances of the armed associates?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. :)

Regarding precautions when camping it's not as bad as you might think. The animals here are not interested in your food/toothpaste etc like bears are so we don't have to be quite so meticulous. However one must be very cautious when walking around camp at night. For example if you need to leave your tent during the night, give your flashlight a shine around outside first and if you see eyes looking back at you, well, maybe don't.

As for the "armed guards" in the photo perhaps I should have explained! On walking/hiking safaris in the Serengeti there will always be an armed ranger employed by the national parks service, as well as a rifle trained walking guide. This is ostensibly for protection against animals in a worst case scenario, and it is, but it's also a bit of a false sense of security. Awareness and avoidance are key, and most animals will also avoid you if you are too close for comfort.

So...does one do much star and night photography there? I would think it could get a bit hairy.