Help with a Winds itinerary

Altitude will kill you if you don't do some kind of pack training before hand

Planning on this. After the first camp at 12 miles, which I guess will also be the last camp, where are good camp sites to split up the back 16?

Thats a lot of mileage in a day.... I usually plan 7 miles max. In this country on the ground mileage usually runs over 8 to 12% of the map mileage. You can always go farther if you make your shorter goal.

I might have lost track of where you are going, but regardless @Bob is right. Be wary of the mileage listed on maps and reports. It's high elevation, with most routes having a LOT of up/down. If your kid isn't in great shape, that first 12 miles can end up with inability to continue the next day.

Most people I've taken to the Winds are in good shape, with plenty of experience but are flatlanders like myself. But even my 30-year old nephew had problems and he's a certified Crossfit trainer and competitive Tough Mudder. He trained harder for his second trip. For others, I had to promise to slow the pace and pick a more relaxed route for those returning this year.

I might have lost track of where you are going, but regardless @Bob is right. Be wary of the mileage listed on maps and reports. It's high elevation, with most routes having a LOT of up/down. If your kid isn't in great shape, that first 12 miles can end up with inability to continue the next day.

Most people I've taken to the Winds are in good shape, with plenty of experience but are flatlanders like myself. But even my 30-year old nephew had problems and he's a certified Crossfit trainer and competitive Tough Mudder. He trained harder for his second trip. For others, I had to promise to slow the pace and pick a more relaxed route for those returning this year.

I believe the titcomb Jean lakes loop is 40 miles? 12 miles I agree is a beast of a day but I thought that was the first camp. We have 5 days if we need it and if the first day is too much we will base camp there.

Do we need bear spray? We mostly have backpacked in areas where it’s illegal and there are only black bears.

Yes Bear spray. Where is it illegal? New one to me. Should have it for black bears as well.

I believe the titcomb Jean lakes loop is 40 miles? 12 miles I agree is a beast of a day but I thought that was the first camp. We have 5 days if we need it and if the first day is too much we will base camp there.
Is this the route you're planning to do? Elkhart - Jean Lakes - Knapsack - Titcomb - Island - Elkhart

That route (as far as Titcomb) was the first half of our 7 day trip. Our 1st night was at Seneca Lake, and the 2nd night was at the north end of Upper Jean Lake. The 3rd night was the east side of Knapsack Col (below Mt. Helen) and 4th night was in the middle of the two Titcomb lakes. On that 4th day, we went up to Mistake Lake so didn't push further south, but you could probably get to Island Lake and camp there the 4th night if you don't mind a lot of people nearby.

I think ahead of time it would be good to find out what snow/ice conditions are like on the east side of Knapsack Col.

@Janice itinerary breaks that route nicely. Many folks only make it to Hobb's night 1. Not sure where your basecamp is planned. Can't do that and go over Knapsack.

I want to fish Mistake L some time. Got stormed out last time I went.

Griz have been seen along Pole Ck trail and even Titcomb. But there's so many people at that time of year that the chances of seeing one are remote. More so if you camp off the usual track.

Bear spray. Where is it illegal?
Only places I found were Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia. But, apparently, it's legal in the rest of CA.
BearSpray in NP

Lol....figures....cali. that's why I never heard of that ... I don't go to Cali parks....or Cali in general. Too much to see here.

Last edited:
Is this the route you're planning to do? Elkhart - Jean Lakes - Knapsack - Titcomb - Island - Elkhart

That route (as far as Titcomb) was the first half of our 7 day trip. Our 1st night was at Seneca Lake, and the 2nd night was at the north end of Upper Jean Lake. The 3rd night was the east side of Knapsack Col (below Mt. Helen) and 4th night was in the middle of the two Titcomb lakes. On that 4th day, we went up to Mistake Lake so didn't push further south, but you could probably get to Island Lake and camp there the 4th night if you don't mind a lot of people nearby.

I think ahead of time it would be good to find out what snow/ice conditions are like on the east side of Knapsack Col.

Yes but
@Janice itinerary breaks that route nicely. Many folks only make it to Hobb's night 1. Not sure where your basecamp is planned. Can't do that and go over Knapsack.

I want to fish Mistake L some time. Got stormed out last time I went.

Griz have been seen along Pole Ck trail and even Titcomb. But there's so many people at that time of year that the chances of seeing one are remote. More so if you camp off the usual track.

Only places I found were Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia. But, apparently, it's legal in the rest of CA.
BearSpray in NP

I have more questions ❤️

So I got a paper map and I am comparing the map to the gpx file that someone here generously gave me (attached here)

Thinking on these 3 options based on how the 21 yo does day 1 and 2. Thinking we start early day 1 and see if we get to Seneca or Island and have a few plans in place.

1. Take 1-2 days to get to Island Lake. Set up camp there. Explore Titcomb basin and Indian pass as day hikes. Exit the other way by Cook Lakes for sort of a loop. This seems like the easiest route.

2. Commit to the purple route up through Knapsack. Seems hard with packs but then we don’t need a seperate trip for the basin. Skip Indian basin. Take 5 days. How is the scenery after Knapsack? I can’t find info on the back half of this loop. Also Aug 2 seems pretty early so depends on conditions on Knapsack.

3. Do the loop with the red alternate path through lost lakes maybe adding a day hike to Titcomb or Indian.

Since the elevation gain is harder deeper in this route how would someone suggest breaking up the route with camp locations if we did the loop or alternative?

I changed our flights so we can be on trail Friday through Tuesday giving us 5 days.

No map attached ...

5 days makes it easier. I'd have a plan in case of heavy weather for a day or 2. Forecasts aren't good more than 2 days out.

1. Island L is now TP city, but people still base there (maybe a few thousand each season?). If 2 days, camp a short way into Indian Basin. Plan 2 days for your exit. Cook L area is nice. Easy off-trail but you need to be comfortable on the ledges around Wall L. About 12 miles for exit day depending on where you set up.

2. Scenery before and after Knapsack is outstanding (as are most of the Winds). Peak L is where most people set up before crossing. Way overused. If I was doing it, I'd set up near Elbow. Plenty of camping in the basin too. I made camp at the Big Slide across Fremont Ck Bridge day 1, but that was a long time ago and wiped me out.

3. Lost Lake trail is unmaintained and may still have downfall from the 2020 wind storm. If no one here has done it since, maybe check with the Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale.

5 days makes it easier. I'd have a plan in case of heavy weather for a day or 2. Forecasts aren't good more than 2 days out.

1. Island L is now TP city, but people still base there (maybe a few thousand each season?). If 2 days, camp a short way into Indian Basin. Plan 2 days for your exit. Cook L area is nice. Easy off-trail but you need to be comfortable on the ledges around Wall L. About 12 miles for exit day depending on where you set up.

2. Scenery before and after Knapsack is outstanding (as are most of the Winds). Peak L is where most people set up before crossing. Way overused. If I was doing it, I'd set up near Elbow. Plenty of camping in the basin too. I made camp at the Big Slide across Fremont Ck Bridge day 1, but that was a long time ago and wiped me out.

3. Lost Lake trail is unmaintained and may still have downfall from the 2020 wind storm. If no one here has done it since, maybe check with the Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale.
All great thank you

Thank you all for all the help. It was a perfect trip. Because my pack was heavier being solo – I ended up taking to island lake my first day, then setting up a camp to explore home and island basins on day two without a pack. My legs were so tired after day two. I was done by 3pm each day to give my legs enough time to recover. I decided to split up the exit into two days. Camped my last night at Miller Lake, which I thought would be too close to the trailhead to be interesting but! I woke up to a family of moose swimming in the lake. I definitely want to explore deeper next time, but it was a great first trip and definitely not too busy.

Miller Lake is a great place to camp. Good fishing. Saw a horse on the loose on one trip. Glad it all went well for you.

Back