Help with a Winds itinerary

Ultrajen

Hi I am new to this forum but my googling had brought me here on another winds thread. People seem to know it well. My son and I will be flying from California to Salt Lake and then driving. I realized titcomb basin is more crowded, but it looks really beautiful. We are used to the eastern Sierras and this looks like it compares with gorgeous flora and lakes.

We would love to do a four day itinerary, but could push it to five. Wondering if Elkhart loop makes sense or get a shuttle and do Green Lakes to Elkhart to cover more. We are both experienced but I have fitness currently so this might be a good year to do Basecamp style as it seem many do, and explore the basin. That way if my kid is exhausted, we can do separate day trips those days. Kid is 20 btw but way out of shape. Has done a big backpacking trip every year with me but really suffered on a hike yesterday so I’m a little worried.

Maybe specifics on a four or 5 Day Loop or shuttle itinerary and also a base camp itinerary that might allow for a lazy day for the teenager

I have no shortage of time and patience for discussing routes in the Winds, but probably need a little more info:

1) Approximate dates?
2) Priorities for the trip? Sounds like Titcomb Basin is one - and a worthy one, even w/ "crowds".
3) Target mileage/elevation gain? Should be pretty similar to the eastern Sierra, for context.
4) Comfortable off-trail or prefer to stick to trails? On-trail sections are very similar to the eastern Sierra, but I find off-trail to be a bit more difficult in the Winds - though still in the same ballpark.
5) Do you want to do a shuttle? If you have a few more days, I might suggest the Green River Lakes to Elkhart option, but the GRL approach eats pretty much a whole day alone. I'm thinking a loop out of Elkhart might be your best bet - and fairly easy logistically.

Id do something like scab creek to middle fork, Europe, halls, bonneville, maybe into east fork towards the south. Depends on your hiking mileage ... And how you do with up and down at elevation.. remember most is around 10K feet

Course i stay away from titcomb and the cirque

Great ideas and questions already.

If you have to go see Titcomb but only have 4-5 days your choices are set by your pace. Green R or New Fork to Island L to Elkhart plus day hike to Titcomb is close to 50 miles. Do you want to do 10 miles/day with about +9229/-10520′ total gain/loss?

The easiest is an out and back just to Island L. 24 m round trip. Add in another ~5-7 m for Titcomb. So, 12m 2600' gain, 1600' loss just to get to Island Lake from Elkhart. Either a long day (with full backpack) or 2 day entry. Walking out is easier since packs are lighter, but it's still a lot of up and down.

The alternatives @Bob gave are spectacular. Still long approaches. Could basecamp near the Cirque if you don't mind crowds. Easier walk in/out to basecamp anyway. But doing Jackass Pass twice in one day wouldn't be my choice. Very nice area near Deep Lake though. I've done that when I only had 3 days to spare. Or, camp at Big Sandy night 1, spend 2 nights in the Cirque and a long day on day 4 back to the trailhead.

What about a Titcomb Basin/Jean Lakes loop out of Elkhart Park? You'd have to do a little x-country over scree/talus or snow to cross Knapsack Col. To me, Titcomb and the Cirque are like the Second/Third Lake area around Temple Crag in the Sierra. Sure, it could be a little busy, but that view never gets old.

Last edited:
My main advice is to do five days at least. Four days just isn't enough to make the winds worth it in my opinion (at least compared to other more accessible options).

I'm not as experienced as a lot of people here on the forum and have only backpacked into the Winds once but it was such a great trip I thought I would share it. We backpacked to Big Sandy and set up base camp (5 or 6 miles but not difficult at all). Day 2 was a day hike to the Cirque and Lonesome Lake and back to camp (about 10 miles RT and strenuous.) Day 3 day hike to Deep Lake to explore and relax in that area (can't remember mileage but it was moderate to easy). Day 4 hike out. The views from the Cirque and Deep were so beautiful and had Yosemite vibes in my opinion.

My main advice is to do five days at least. Four days just isn't enough to make the winds worth it in my opinion (at least compared to other more accessible options).
Agreed. I normally frame it as you need the time required for you to do at least 40+ miles and 8k'+ gain, but same idea.

But I'm also always a proponent of doing what you can w/ the time you have - whatever that might be. I've driven to Dubois for a 3-day trip before. (Not a recommendation, but I had a great time. :lol:)

Last edited:
Agree on the 5 days, it feels like the Winds start "slower" than the eastern Sierra.

One possible trip is Scab Creek to Dream Lake and set up your base camp. Lots of potential day hikes from there. Caltopo says about 10ish miles and 1600' of elevation.

one of the most delightful backpacking trips we had in the Winds was Scab Creek Trail - Bonneville Basin - Middle Fork Lake. Much fewer people than Island, Titcomb, Cirque of the Towers, Dinwoody Pk area. There was a neat old trail on the way to Middle Fork (no longer on any maps, CalTopo, etc) that goes from Bonneville Basin to Sunrise Lake, Rainbow Lake, and then Middle Fork Lake. The area around Middle Fork is spectacular and serene at the same time - a real treat to be there.

I would second the Big Sandy suggestion. Yes, it too is crowded, but the hike into a basecamp, say around Washakie Creek, is pretty easy and scenic. There are good day hiking opportunities to Shadow lake, Washakie Pass and Hailey Pass. For a mellow day of fishing or hanging out you could simply walk to Pyramid Lake. See: https://hikingwalking.com/destinations/wy/wy_ww/big_sandy/bigsandy_skull_rt for more details. Not the basecamp in this description is Skull Lake. Sounds like you might be better off stopping before that at the Washakie Creek area (before you cross the creek). Also I think 5 days is much better than 4.

Heres a report from few years ago of Scab creek area I was with Oldbill on.... if you havent seen it. And you can search wind rivers here on the forum and ges lots of ideas.

I'm going to second the Lee Lake loop. I did it two years ago, and it was a great trip.

Reactions: Bob
I have no shortage of time and patience for discussing routes in the Winds, but probably need a little more info:

1) Approximate dates?
2) Priorities for the trip? Sounds like Titcomb Basin is one - and a worthy one, even w/ "crowds".
3) Target mileage/elevation gain? Should be pretty similar to the eastern Sierra, for context.
4) Comfortable off-trail or prefer to stick to trails? On-trail sections are very similar to the eastern Sierra, but I find off-trail to be a bit more difficult in the Winds - though still in the same ballpark.
5) Do you want to do a shuttle? If you have a few more days, I might suggest the Green River Lakes to Elkhart option, but the GRL approach eats pretty much a whole day alone. I'm thinking a loop out of Elkhart might be your best bet - and fairly easy logistically.

Aug 1 arrival

Titcomb basin looked epic in the pics but I guess but the best lake and mountain scenery in 4 days of moderate backpacking 10-12 miles a day if the gain is moderate. So 40-50 miles and maybe no more than 2000 ft a day?

Comfortable on and off trail but I am so much slower off trail.

I just priced the shuttle. $322 because we are flying in and renting a car id like to skip that.

Thank you!!

• Wow
Aug 1 arrival

Titcomb basin looked epic in the pics but I guess but the best lake and mountain scenery in 4 days of moderate backpacking 10-12 miles a day if the gain is moderate. So 40-50 miles and maybe no more than 2000 ft a day?

I just priced the shuttle. $322 because we are flying in and renting a car id like to skip that.

Thank you!!
Sending you a PM, but I would also heartily endorse the "Lee Lake Loop" suggestion from @Bob.

Another option is to head in on the trails southeast of Dubois at the end of the Trail Lake Rd. The trail south takes you over Arrow Mountain on a well-used trail. The possibilities are many for both on and off-trail travel with great scenery and wildlife viewing. Also heading west toward Ross Lake has awesome scenery. Cutting southwest off from the Arrow Mountain trail can take you fairly easily to Goat Flat for a nice camp or continue south from Goat Flat toward Grasshopper Creek and camp in the forest.
In my very limited experience in the Winds, this area is much quieter than Elkhorn and Titcomb.
Hard to go wrong in the Winds, of course.

Cutting southwest off from the Arrow Mountain trail can take you fairly easily to Goat Flat for a nice camp or continue south from Goat Flat toward Grasshopper Creek and camp in the forest.
Might have to do this one myself! I do remember climbing Arrow Mountain was tough even with a day pack. Ran into an exhausted 30-something hunter on his way to the corrals. Tough climb in the sun.

Getting off Goat Flat could be problematic for some. Toe of Grasshopper is loose and dangerous. Getting around Ross lakes to Mile Long Lake can be a brush thrash

Aug 1 arrival

Thank you!!
Europe Canyon/Halls/Long loop is about 40 miles, 45 miles if you add MiddleFork. MiddleFork/Bonneville Loop is about 35 miles. Both on/off trail mix. The out and back up Dinwoody about 40 miles, could make the loop for Goat Flat, if you can handle the getting off of Goat Flat by Downs Lake.

10 to 12 MAP miles in the Winds will end up 12 to 14 miles on the ground.