Halls Creek Narrows, 4/6/13

lostlandscapes

rope mule
We had our sites set on the Halls Creek Narrows for a quick yet robust overnighter full of Reef scampering. Not only would it be my first time strolling along the base of the Capitol Reef itself, but it'd also be my first time setting foot inside the Park, period. The last of the "Big 5" that I'd yet to visit since moving here a few years ago. Anticipation was up, and of course, I was not let down.

The Waterpocket Fold, at first light. A break in the cliff allows loose and steep access to the valley floor:

9577.jpg

Heading down Halls Creek. We began to hit brief but clean shallow pools of water within only one mile or so of the trailhead.

9581.jpg

With plenty of time to kill, we spent a lot of the day exploring the Reef and all of it's glorious, convoluted madness:

9588.jpg

We set up camp on a nice, sandy bend under old Cottonwoods. But the day was not over. Time to visit the Narrows. Only minutes after first entering, the soaring walls of a grand alcove greeted us:

9610-2.jpg

Continuing through the Narrows. At this point (and since approximately one mile before the Narrows started) water was a permanent companion:

9617.jpg

While never slotting up too much, the canyon does narrow enough to the point where in several places you have no choice but to get at least a little bit wet. Things would get much deeper later on:

9625.jpg

Soft, graceful curves beckoned:

9623.jpg

9636.jpg

9643.jpg

The initial plan was to hike the entire Narrows and loop back around to camp via Halls Creek Divide. But about 2/3 of the way through a full-on swimmer kept us from proceeding further. With the weather cooling off as the daylight faded, we decided it was best for at least one of us to stay dry and head back to camp the way we had arrived.

Halls Creek provided a lush and enchanting introduction to the mesmerizing beauty of Capitol Reef. Can't wait to get back for more.

Featured Image for Home Page:
slide.jpg

Awesome! Capitol Reef is probably my favorite park in Utah. How many miles was it to the narrows portion?

We took the airstrip shortcut, probably less than 6 miles is my guess. Couple hours hiking.

Wonderful pictures and report!
I add it to my bucket list.
And I fully agree w/ ashergray, if I see here on BCP all your fantastic impressions.

How tough was the descent? Easy to spot going down and coming back?

- JG

Very easy to spot, from both directions. From the top, the road basically ends at the drop in (a faint 4-track continues south from here, but we didn't explore it). From the bottom (Halls Creek), the break in the cliff stands out as an obvious weakness. The route itself is fairly well cairned, but steep and loose in it's entirety. Probably want to put your hiking poles away--there are a few spots that require quadrupedalism.

This area of Capitol Reef is so cool. I've been thru bits and pieces of it, with us coming up short of Brimhall Bridge. (Swimming issue.) The narrows of Hall's Creek are definitely on the short list. Thanks for a beautiful report.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mikjik86 Backpacking Halls Creek Narrows. Backpacking 4
Mikjik86 Halls Creek Narrows Short Video Backpacking 0
Jammer Flash Floods in May? (Halls Creek Narrows Video) Backpacking 20
Ross Invite Halls Creek Narrows.....(& perhaps Needles/Behind The Rocks) Meet Up (Members Only) 12
Clint_N Halls Creek Narrows - May 2013 Backpacking 13
Nick Halls Creek Narrows Backpacking 37
pixie1339 Invite Halls Creek Narrows May 10th - 12th Meet Up (Members Only) 42
NateGeesaman Halls Creek Narrows of Capitol Reef July 2012 Backpacking 20
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Steven's Canyon and the Baker Route (car/key swap) Meet Up (Members Only) 8
WasatchWill Halls Creek: Version 2.0 Backpacking 9
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Stevens Canyon Trip Planning 28
Mikjik86 Halls Creek Loop. 2 Days, or 3? General Discussion 6
WasatchWill Halls Creek...It was time. Backpacking 14
Ross Halls Creek and Muley Twist Hiking & Camping 35
Ross Invite Cathedral Valley,Halls Creek.Happy canyon,Bisti,Caineville Mesa + more Meet Up (Members Only) 4
sierrasummits Halls Creek, Moody canyon, Stevens canyon loop ? Trip Planning 5
Nick Halls Creek Bay On The Water 22
Cody Halls Creek Loop via Lower Muley and Red Slide Backpacking 16
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 4 - Halls Lake to Camp Lake Backpacking 17
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 3 - 'Desolation Valley' to Halls Lake Backpacking 15
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
piper01 Escalante, Part 4: Dance Halls and Dinosaurs Hiking & Camping 3
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
shredhiker Slough Creek mid June? Trip Planning 11
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
CodyL Maple Creek or Duck Creek Drainages-YNP Trip Planning 0
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Dreamer Slough Creek - YNP - 6/5-7/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Blacktail Creek June 2023 Backpacking 4
Dreamer Rescue Creek -YNP - 6/3-5/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Slough Creek May 2023 Backpacking 11
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
scatman City Creek Loop - April 23, 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Janice When might road to Salt Creek TH be ok? Trip Planning 23
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
MikeP Exploring/Calf Creek Trip Planning 28
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4