GSENM: Burr Trail hikes

images
Dangerous-Dogs-Feature-700x415.jpg

Well I'll be hitching down the Burr Tr in a few days so if you see a dirty dude in an orange shirt and a boonie hat (green or gray backpack), pick me up please :)

@LarryBoy - we have to drive across the country first.... but we will be in the area next week, Burr trail probably mid to end of next week.

@LarryBoy and @Rockskipper are exactly right.
If you stay up high on the Burr trail, or off wolverine you can also catch the sunrise that morning from something like the exit/overlook of Long canyon.
There is rarely a bad sunrise anywhere, but the past few days were some great ones, and Friday I had kinda wished we had stayed down that way bc much of it was under low misty fog, which is a personal favorite. But where I was that morning ended up peachy.

There's a short dirt road just east/downhill of the Long Canyon Overlook that branches off to several campsites on a small hill. Not too much privacy since it's visible from the overlook, but I spent 2 nights there since both the sunset and sunrise views were spectacular and there wasn't much traffic midweek anyway.

Sunset
IMG_1578.jpg

SunriseIMG_1605.JPG

There's a short dirt road just east/downhill of the Long Canyon Overlook that branches off to several campsites on a small hill. Not too much privacy since it's visible from the overlook, but I spent 2 nights there since both the sunset and sunrise views were spectacular and there wasn't much traffic midweek anyway.

Sunset
View attachment 70859

SunriseView attachment 70860

Thanks for the camping tip @piper01 - we will be there next week.... Looking forward to reading about your trip.

Sunset

Sunrise

Yes. and Funny. A spot I know well.
We spent our first night there on accident. I was in our old Odyssey and pulled in to check it out. It had just recently rained, was near sunset and I went to a side road there that I knew I shouldn't, and we bottomed out. It was early March and I knew the muddy part that was impassable at the moment would freeze that night. SO that determined where we were camping. By morning the kids were running up the washes near the frozen Chinle, loving the petrified wood throughout there, and I was loving the views. We have been there a couple of times since when at a loss of somewhere else to camp. Leading to views such as this:
Capitol Reef-GSENM 20170958.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
fossana Yellow Rock, Pollock Arch, Hackberry Canyon loop (GSENM) Hiking & Camping 10
swmalone GSENM Take II Canyoneering 8
piper01 Little Death Hollow, GSENM Hiking & Camping 3
piper01 The Upper Gulch and Egg Canyon, GSENM Backpacking 6
swmalone GSENM Camping Question Trip Planning 37
J Dayhikes GSENM, Cap Reef, Behind the Rocks: Deer Cr, Tanks, Sheets Gulch, Moab Rim Apr. 4 to 8, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
J In Grand Staircase (GSENM), Paria-Hackberry 10 Days backpacking April 23-May 2, 2017 Part 1 Backpacking 0
Bob Wire BLM destroying The Gulch in GSENM Hiking & Camping 1
powderglut 2 Week Trip Paria/Vermilion, GSENM and Maybe Hanksville Trip Planning 4
LavranJ GSENM early in the year Trip Planning 10
WasatchWill Seeking a little help for Fall Break with family in GSENM Trip Planning 4
piper01 Southern UT in April: Cedar Mesa, Capitol Reef, GSENM Trip Planning 6
A Visiting GSENM - need advice on itinerary Trip Planning 18
slc_dan Two Peaks & a Bellybutton GSENM April 2014 Hiking & Camping 9
piper01 GSENM trip itinerary Trip Planning 9
slc_dan Little Death Hollow-Wolverine Loop, GSENM June 5-8 2013 Backpacking 16
Udink GSENM Hiking & Camping 10
Christian Bryce, GSENM and Capitol Reef Hiking & Camping 17
Seldom Seen Anderson Lower Hackberry (GSENM) Trip Planning 3
Artemus Burr Trail new pavement General Discussion 39
J Who's done Steep Creek Canyon off Boulder Mtn folows into the Gulch at the Burr Trail? Trip Planning 3
Devin Ashby The Gulch to Horse Canyon Loop - From Burr Trail Trip Planning 5
J Burr Point Happy Canyon Airstrip Trip Planning 0
Jammer Burr Trail Loop Hike Backpacking 16
D Invite Dirty Devil - Burr to Poison Spring Packraft March 12-13 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Kullaberg63 Angel to Burr. Dirty Devil packraft/backpack Backpacking 11
fiber Happy Canyon/Sams Mesa Box Canyon - 4 day loop from Burr Point Canyoneering 7
fiber Hanksville Shuttle Needed: April 18 from Burr Point to West Rock Canyon Trip Planning 0
Joey Sams Mesa/Twin Corral Box Canyons Loop from Burr Point Backpacking 11
Parma Bill Burr on hiking in the mountains General Discussion 0
Christian Little Egypt, Burr Trail, Upper Muley Twist, Escalante Slots Hiking & Camping 23
Desertrat The Burr Trail (4-28-12) Hiking & Camping 2
Nick Camp sites along The Burr Trail Trip Planning 10
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Tweedie Weminuche off-Trail from Elk Park to Needleton 2023 (Via Vestal, Balsam, Noname and Ruby) Backpacking 15
beaver-one Section Hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail): Oregon + Washington Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Hard work on the trail--literally Hiking & Camping 3
b.stark Brent's Trail Hiking & Camping 1
Bob Trans Canada trail Trip Planning 0
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Outdoors24 A weekend on the Pony Express Trail Off Road 2
wsp_scott Lakeshore Trail and two creeks in the Smokies Backpacking 6
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
A Teton Crest Trail Shuttle Resource Discussions 3
TractorDoc CVNP Towpath Trail 07/16/2023 Hiking & Camping 4
balzaccom Trail Crews--one more time Backpacking 1
Bob 206 mile water trail Trip Planning 0
Bob New USA long trail Trip Planning 2
Henk Hiking The Portal Trail, Moab Everything Else 2
L Boulder Mail Trail April 2023 Qs Trip Planning 14