Grizzly Bear Kills Backcountry Guide Near Yellowstone, Investigators shot and killed the bear after it charged.

This was unfortunate. Guess it happens rarely but still unfortunate for victim and his friends and family.

Seems like a large group went looking for the bear and found it - it charged the group of 7 and someone shot it. But then they learned it was protecting a moose it was eating. Hope they got the right bear. If it wasn't, and they knew it was protecting it's food...would they still kill a charging bear? Wasn't clear if it was a bluff charge.

Bear was dead as soon as it attacked that guy. Could have been protecting three cubs, proof of alien life and the second coming of baby jesus - wouldn't have mattered at all.

derp

Last edited:
Forest Dweller, in the local paper it said that when they shot the bear, the bear was only 20 yards from the group and charging. And that it was an over 400 pound bear. Now 20 yards is close. And a bear can cover that distance in no time whatsoever.

Yes this is unfortunate that the guide died. But still how few people die from bears but how many die in traffic accidents in this day and age. We become terrified of bears but most people think nothing of traveling thru horrendous traffic.

It is sooooo unfortunate now that both a person and a bear have died!

Last edited:
Bear was dead as soon as it attacked that guy. Could have been protecting three cubs, proof of alien life and the second coming of baby jesus - wouldn't have mattered at all.

That's definitely NOT true. Grizzly sows defending cubs and other grizzlies where there's evidence of a bear doing what could be expected of a bear are usually allowed to live. Primary disqualifier is if the bear(s) fed on a human. Black bears are not typically given such leeway.

That's definitely NOT true. Grizzly sows defending cubs and other grizzlies where there's evidence of a bear doing what could be expected of a bear are usually allowed to live. Primary disqualifier is if the bear(s) fed on a human. Black bears are not typically given such leeway.

Didn't realize grizzlies were treated any differently. Black bears here don't get any second chances and they always kill 'the right bear' in response.

http://igbconline.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Montana-Grizzly-Bear-Regulatory-Mechanisms.pdf

(d) Depredations. Contacts between grizzly bear and humans, or property of humans, require delicate handling and careful consideration. When these contacts reach the stage for definite action, the following actions should be carried out:

(i) Grizzly bear, in the process of threatening or endangering human life, shall be captured or dispatched immediately.

(ii) Where no immediate threat to human life exists, individual bear encounters with humans shall be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and when the attack is abnormal or apparently unprovoked, the individual bear involved shall be captured or dispatched.

(iii) When the attack is normal (e.g., a female defending her cubs, any bear defending its food, or any bear defending itself) but the situation leads itself to no reasonable possibility of leaving the bear in place, then the bear should be removed.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you mean by "here" (Colorado Springs?) but in W. Colorado, they typically don't kill the bear unless justified. Ask the many residents of Aspen and all down the Roaring Fork Valley who have had blackies actually enter their houses. Very few are killed. If they were grizzlies, the story might be different.

Googling 'black bears killed in aspen' doesn't lead me to believe things are any different on the w slope than on the front range...

From aspenjournalism:

“It’s human negligence that causes a bear to be a problem bear,” Tesch said. CPW officials will try to relocate nuisance bears that get into trash cans, but “once they enter a home, that’s our threshold to put down. They’ll never revert back to natural forage,” he said.

x.JPG

NW Colorado is way more than the Roaring Fork Valley. But yes, the conflicts are getting worse as we move more into their territories.

Now with the this killing of this Grizzly Bear, it brings something to my mind that I think will post. And do hope that I can get this out right. In the local paper today, the article said that it was over a 400 pound bear. Also it was defending a food carcass at the time with charging the wildlife officers when it was killed.

Think about this. At the time of Lewis and Clark, as we all know, the Grizzly Bear occupied how much here of the Western North American continent. And at the time now much were they the top animal so to speak. And since they are were at the top, they learned to dominant. But Now in what I have witnessed in my hiking with having a whole host of close encounters with Grizzlies in my life. Many a time when they saw me, they ran or retreated quickly. It seems that the dominant Lord Grizzly of days gone by was gone. We are now the one at the top. Then what happened? Well, in short, we executed them. Maybe up in Alaska in someplace where few humans have thread is the Grizzly still Lord Grizzly. But here in the lower 48, maybe at times a bear will show his dominating characteristics, but most now pursue their own paths and have learned to retreat from the Human. Any bear that tries to show his strength to us, is often eliminated like this bear today. Remember back just a few years ago, there were only less then 1,000 Grizzlies left in all the lower 48 states. And those that were left had learned to avoid humans and human habitations. Those that did not learn like always, like today and this bear, we're eliminated. We hear stories from days gone by of some Grizzly that would take on people, eat the livestock, and everything ... But in the end those Lord Grizzly Bears were eliminated. This Soooo saddens me personally! At times I have looked into the eyes of some Grizzly and sensed sooooo much intelligence. Personally I have come to trust them more then most humans for they have never stabbed me in the back. Many a time they let me be with regard to my campsites and did not approach or come into my campsites, but let me be. In turn for good reasons have learned to give them their space which they deserve. Along the roads one can see many foolish humans intruding into the bear's personal space unfortunately. It is always such a joy to watch a wild bear in the distance just doing it's thing. Wish many people would have this opportunity, but also to give the bear it's space. Think it is sad that the days of the Lord Grizzly are gone, when the Bear was at top, and did what it darn well pleased regardless of what we humans thought or felt. But those bears were eliminated it seemed thru the years. Now it seems the bear's that are left, perhaps grudgingly, have learned to retreat from us humans and to let us be. But it is sad when a bear does what it does naturally, being a Lord Grizzly with regard to us humans, it always somehow meets it's demise. As this bear today. I weep for this bear doing what it was doing coming naturally. Maybe if something happens to us humans, maybe the bears will come back to there old ways. Maybe in the end, we will be the ones that will be gone because of our stupidity, and the Lord Grizzlies and the Wolves will Still be here. Lord Grizzly Rest in Peace!

Just My Opinions! Wishing Everyone the Best!

Last edited:
Now with the this killing of this Grizzly Bear, it brings something to my mind that I think will post. And do hope that I can get this out right. In the local paper today, the article said that it was over a 400 pound bear. Also it was defending a food carcass at the time with charging the wildlife officers when it was killed.

Think about this. At the time of Lewis and Clark, as we all know, the Grizzly Bear occupied how much here of the Western North American continent. And at the time now much were they the top animal so to speak. And since they are were at the top, they learned to dominant. But Now in what I have witnessed in my hiking with having a whole host of close encounters with Grizzlies in my life. Many a time when they saw me, they ran or retreated quickly. It seems that the dominant Lord Grizzly of days gone by was gone. We are now the one at the top. Then what happened? Well, in short, we executed them. Maybe up in Alaska in someplace where few humans have thread is the Grizzly still Lord Grizzly. But here in the lower 48, maybe at times a bear will show his dominating characteristics, but most now pursue their own paths and have learned to retreat from the Human. Any bear that tries to show his strength to us, is often eliminated like this bear today. Remember back just a few years ago, there were only less then 1,000 Grizzlies left in all the lower 48 states. And those that were left had learned to avoid humans and human habitations. Those that did not learn like always, like today and this bear, we're eliminated. We hear stories from days gone by of some Grizzly that would take on people, eat the livestock, and everything ... But in the end those Lord Grizzly Bears were eliminated. This Soooo saddens me personally! At times I have looked into the eyes of some Grizzly and sensed sooooo much intelligence. Personally I have come to trust them more then most humans for they have never stabbed me in the back. Many a time they let me be with regard to my campsites and did not approach or come into my campsites, but let me be. In turn for good reasons have learned to give them their space which they deserve. Along the roads one can see many foolish humans intruding into the bear's personal space unfortunately. It is always such a joy to watch a wild bear in the distance just doing it's thing. Wish many people would have this opportunity, but also to give the bear it's space. Think it is sad that the days of the Lord Grizzly are gone, when the Bear was at top, and did what it darn well pleased regardless of what we humans thought or felt. But those bears were eliminated it seemed thru the years. Now it seems the bear's that are left, perhaps grudgingly, have learned to retreat from us humans and to let us be. But it is sad when a bear does what it does naturally, being a Lord Grizzly with regard to us humans, it always somehow meets it's demise. As this bear today. I weep for this bear doing what it was doing coming naturally. Maybe if something happens to us humans, maybe the bears will come back to there old ways. Maybe in the end, we will be the ones that will be gone because of our stupidity, and the Lord Grizzlies and the Wolves will Still be here. Lord Grizzly Rest in Peace!

Just My Opinions! Wishing Everyone the Best!

Kmatjhwy, has it be determined that they got the right bear, the one who mauled the guide?

Also it's a bit scary if any bear will charge a group of 7...I thought there was near sure-thing safety in numbers when it comes to grizzly bears.

That trip I'd like to do back into the Thorofare....the concern would be in the very back of your mind constantly...and something like this brings it a little more forward in your mind!

This conversation was going on at bpbasecamp too. Interesting to hear all the views. I mentioned a few from my perspective as someone who is comfortable to solo in low-to-moderate griz territory, but not in those with much higher density:

Experienced folks know to immediately leave the area when finding a carcass in bear territory. The bigger dangers appear to be in not being aware of the kill and getting too close. In this case, 1/2 a football field. There was a case near Brooks Lakes in the Absarokas when a biologist was unknowingly near a recent kill. He unfortunately was mauled to death (and eaten). He did not have his spray with him.
2014 Cub Creek grizzly attack

I had to make a decision to hike past a moose carcass in the Wind Rivers last year with a small group. Was alerted to it by inbound hikers about 5 miles before the kill. The carcass was located just off the trail and had been left there by bow hunters. I decided to remain on trail for speed, with bear spray ready as we neared the area. Could have easily ended differently if we hadn't been alerted and a griz (or even black bear) had moved in. The carcass was about 30 yds from the trail.

On the same trip, my girlfriend and I had planned a day hike at Double Cabin CG (N of Dubois), which has a much higher density of griz. We noted the warning posters and decided to stick to open ground far away from a potential encounter of a bear on a carcass. Big difference when you have advance warning.

DSC00367_Large.JPG

Last edited:
So tough to hear that he passed away. I read about the attack and was hoping he'd survive once they got him to the hospital for surgery. I knew that area along highway 191 (Richards Pond, Gneiss Creek, Lee Metcalf Wilderness) is no place to be off trail and solo this time of year. This happened more south by the Madison. 20 yards away for a group of 7 is crazy

It always saddens me to hear of instances of an animal being killed for being its natural self.

I've read a couple articles on this incident, and never got the impression the party revisiting the area was going so with the intent of putting the bear down, but rather to investigate the incident. My impressions were that the animal would have been allowed to live had it not charged the investigating group.

I've read a good amount on bear and grizzly attacks, and while there is truth to there being strength in numbers, there are incidents of attacks on groups of four or five or more.

As to my home state of CO and black bears - it's pretty obvious that many people that live in the towns and a high percentage of visitors to those towns where high concentration of black bear exist, take bear awareness too lightly - contributing to habituated bears which is a different, albeit sad scenario altogether.

Big difference when you have advance warning.

Yeah, imagine that, hiking along, being as loud as can be for bear safety and unknowingly coming upon a multi hundred pound grizzly eating a carcass, determined to do everything it needs to to protect it's food...and you're probably dead. That's terrible luck. And I hear that bears like to stay on human trails so I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

I want to go see paradise and maybe the bears in it from a safe distance....would be terrible to become a nightmare / hell.