Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 2 Deer Cyn explore-->Esplanade-->Indian Hollow Tr. April 18-23, 2021

John Morrow

Part two of the Grand Canyon included a layover day and 2nd night at Deer Creek Camp followed by a climb back onto the Esplanade for a nice final night camp and hike out the last day.

April 21:

We laid over in Deer Creek Canyon for the day giving each of us the opportunity to visit waterfalls, lounge on the Patio and/or explore forks of Middle Deer Canyon.

Tranquil Deer Creek
by John Morrow, on Flickr

layover day exploration

I headed as far up the forks of Deer Canyon as I had the energy to. My goal was to reach the Redwall Limestone and hope for some pretty narrows after reaching the junction of the main and east forks.

yucca bloom

Upcanyon in Deer Cr Canyon

more jams in middle Deer Canyon

made it to canyon forks!

Main Deer Canyon

East Fork Deer Canyon

E. Fk ends for me at rockslide

a lunch counter

turn around, distant fork ahead

lunch

return

narrows

above the river

April 22:

Time to pack up and take the trail back up to the Esplanade camp we had on our first night. Temps cooled off which made it much nicer.

Last morning

Back to Esplanade

In the evening Maureen and I headed out for an exploration in the Esplanade sandstone of headwater forks of the S. Fk. of Deer Canyon. No evidence of ancient cultures but fun walking and descending dryfalls and finding yet more water.

Esplanade sandstone

getting back out of Deer Canyon

April 23:

Nothing left to do but hike the final 6 miles and 1200 vertical back up to the North Rim and our vehicles at Indian Hollow TH. Then I was off to the races to drive as far north as possible to be in position to get home by Saturday night. Not before a big old fashioned Hot Fudge Sundae in Kanab.

Deer Canyon below

trumpet

parting shot

The area does not have much info on Rock Art readily available on the web, which is probably a good thing. This is a sample of what we could find:

panel

negative handprints

elaborate panel

Maureen's panel

Rhonda's panel

pictographs

pictographs

Really nice report John. There are so many cool things down there. Thunder River gushing from the rock for some reason left me awestruck. Also having done so much of my desert hiking before that only in Utah, the sharper and much harder types of rock as that trip was my first down to the canyon bottom was surprising, and makes wingate and navajo sandstone "soft"... It was not a pleasant trip for me from Thunder over to Deer and involved some blood. haha
The pit toilet with a view? was there still a resident skunk poking around at night? Staring at the glowing eyes with my headlamp in the middle of the night had me rethinking the urge from the extra liter I had drank before bed.

You're extra climbs and scrambles are especially cool and inspiring, to do that on top of the rest of the loop. Hat's off and thanks for sharing.

As an aside, I have also wondered, and perhaps you know, is this authentically ancient? or recent? it did not seem natural.
_DSC0132 (1).jpg

Really nice report John. There are so many cool things down there. Thunder River gushing from the rock for some reason left me awestruck. Also having done so much of my desert hiking before that only in Utah, the sharper and much harder types of rock as that trip was my first down to the canyon bottom was surprising, and makes wingate and navajo sandstone "soft"... It was not a pleasant trip for me from Thunder over to Deer and involved some blood. haha
The pit toilet with a view? was there still a resident skunk poking around at night? Staring at the glowing eyes with my headlamp in the middle of the night had me rethinking the urge from the extra liter I had drank before bed.

You're extra climbs and scrambles are especially cool and inspiring, to do that on top of the rest of the loop. Hat's off and thanks for sharing.

As an aside, I have also wondered, and perhaps you know, is this authentically ancient? or recent? it did not seem natural.
View attachment 98023

Hmm, I actually never saw it. I can't get a sense of the scale from the photo. Sorry to hear about the "bloodshed". Interesting you mention the "harder rock". I felt most at home on and in the Esplanade sandstone, myself!

Hmm, I actually never saw it. I can't get a sense of the scale from the photo. Sorry to hear about the "bloodshed". Interesting you mention the "harder rock". I felt most at home on and in the Esplanade sandstone, myself!
haha, Not the Esplanade. Not being a geologist, down lower. like the Schist and right along the river.

Nice ......... Now you need to do Kanab creek and go upriver and out Deer Creek...

Nice ......... Now you need to do Kanab creek and go upriver and out Deer Creek...
Definitely on the list, with all the Tribs: Jumpup,Indian Hollow, Chamberlain, Flipoff, Sowats, and Kwagunt. When...don't exactly know. Maybe early Nov if not too scared of the access getting snowed in for the winter.

Definitely on the list, with all the Tribs: Jumpup,Indian Hollow, Chamberlain, Flipoff, Sowats, and Kwagunt. When...don't exactly know. Maybe early Nov if not too scared of the access getting snowed in for the winter.
It can, but there is a somewhat lower elevation road to sowatts

I enjoyed your report. We're starting to think about next year's spring break trip and are considering this. We have to go early April (approx 7-15), and even though there's no way to know in advance what winter will be like, I'm wondering if it's just too early for the roads to be passable. Any thoughts?

Thanks for sharing, John. Great rock art finds, but why no pics of the hot fudge sundae?? ;)