Google Maps 3D Detail

Jackson

I ❤️ GYE
I noticed this a few months ago but failed to share. On the web-based Google Maps and the Google Earth mobile app, they've recently added a significant amount of 3D detail to some of the national parks. It seems like most of the areas in the Utah parks have been done so far, as well as areas in Yosemite, Yellowstone, and likely others that I haven't looked at. Here are some from the Needles District. Bryce Canyon looks pretty awesome as well.

chesler.png
druid.png

I really like that you can actually see through arches. I also looked at Spring Canyon in Capitol Reef, and their mapping of the slot section was pretty accurate, complete with pour-offs and everything. Could be helpful for trip planning in areas you haven't been to.

Unfortunately, this level of detail doesn't seem to be available in the Google Earth program for PC. I fear they're eventually going to scrap Google Earth, like they did to Panoramio.

Unfortunately, this level of detail doesn't seem to be available in the Google Earth program for PC. I fear they're eventually going to scrap Google Earth, like they did to Panoramio.

I HATE this. Google Earth is such an amazing tool and Maps just isn't a replacement. A modern update of GE to run more efficiently would be amazing.

Way cool! Bummer about it not being in GE though. It seems like a lot of tech companies are just kind of giving up on desktop computing lately. Makes me feel old.
Me too, though I'm in my mid-twenties. Haha. I didn't think they could make everything nearly completely web-based, but that's what seems to be happening.

Apple Maps too, at least around Moab, has been incredible in 3D mode on desktop for quite some time now.
I didn't realize that. I'm a heathen with a PC, so I've never been able to see it. I'd really like to now, though. I'll be sure to next time I'm at an Apple store.

I HATE this. Google Earth is such an amazing tool and Maps just isn't a replacement. A modern update of GE to run more efficiently would be amazing.
I completely agree. Maps is pretty business-oriented. Not much functionality as an actual mapping service, other than giving directions to travelers.
It seems like they haven't truly updated GE for a long time. A considerable part of the appeal of both Earth and Maps will be lost for me when they eventually get rid of the Panoramio photos that don't pertain to a business or other identified attraction.