Gold Butte National Monument, Nevada, February 11 - 15, 2020

Stephanie B

Steph and Blake
My husband and I ventured over to Gold Butte National Monument last week and had a great time. The weather was perfect! We camped at Whitney Pocket and took a number of day hikes within the Monument. I don't really have much to offer in terms of photos. For that you'd be far better off checking out the following trip reports that served as inspiration for us.

What I will share is this:
  • While we only explored the more northern part of the Monument, we felt it was quite varied in terms of terrain and visuals. Some parts reminded us of Death Valley, some of White Pocket, others of Turtle Mountain Wilderness in California, and others of the nearby Bowl of Fire.
  • My favorite hike was to Kirk's Grotto (aka Keyhole Canyon). It was (literally) quite cool and an unusual setting for rock art. Blake's favorite hike was wandering around the area that "contains" the Falling Man petroglyph. Every time we turned around, there was another rock art panel.
  • Little Finland is not to be missed. I think kids would have a blast there.
  • Although Whitney Pocket is only 30 miles south of Mesquite on a "paved" road, it's a long-ish, tedious drive out there. Lots of potholes and washboard at present. And the roads that we traveled south and southwest of Whitney Pocket weren't much better. Not once did we feel we needed high clearance but we did use 4WD a few times. We saw a few regular sedans getting around seemingly fine, but I don't know what it would be like if it had rained or snowed.
  • If you are looking for solitude and you want to camp at Whitney Pocket (which has several, large, dispersed camping sites), you'll be much happier if you go during the week. We arrived on a Tuesday and there were just a few campers in the area. On Thursday afternoon more and more campers were moving in. By Friday we counted 10 large horse trailers at one site, 6 large toy haulers in another, and another large group in a third. And it looked like many, many ATV's and UTV's had driven down from a staging area south of Mesquite. Gold Butte is not a little-known secret.
  • Having said that, of the 5 hikes we took we saw only a maximum of three other people on the trail and those hikes were quite peaceful.
  • Lastly, we were told by some other hikers that the folks who run "Friends of Gold Butte" out of Mesquite were very helpful in offering advice and directions for hikes on the Monument.
Nick's Gold Butte x2

Yvonne's Gold Butte Campout

Randy's Kohta Circus

Randy's Falling Man

Dennis's Trip Report

Last edited:
Thanks for the up-date, appreciate it! Glad you got out there and had a great time :). It's still on our to-do list.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nick Gold Butte x2 Hiking & Camping 33
CTTim Gold Butte General Discussion 3
Yvonne Gold Butte Campout, February 2016 Hiking & Camping 17
Udink Gold Butte Region Hiking & Camping 5
pixie1339 Southern Nevada, March 2013, Part Two: Gold Butte Area Hiking & Camping 2
Wanderlust073 Invite July 16-18 - Gold Dust Peak / Lake Charles Meet Up (Members Only) 2
scatman Gold Mine Loop Trail / Noland Trail - Great Smoky Mountain National Park, June 7, 2016 Hiking & Camping 3
AustinCronnelly Gold of Carrie-Shinob General Discussion 3
Kullaberg63 Mt. Tukuhnikivatz to Gold Basin loop, La Sal mtns. Hiking & Camping 5
IntrepidXJ Gold Star Canyon Loop Hiking & Camping 3
Deadeye008 Gold fever... On The Water 8
Deadeye008 Gold!!! Photography 4
Janice Aspen to Crested Butte - end of September? Trip Planning 11
NorthwestWanderer Tomyhoi via Yellow Aster Butte, WA Backpacking 5
NorthwestWanderer Yellow Aster Butte & Tomyhoi Lakes Basin, WA Hiking & Camping 11
NorthwestWanderer Delancy Ridge via Driveway Butte, Okanogan NF, WA (5/20) Hiking & Camping 3
Adrian Kien A Noob from Butte, America Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
gnwatts Aspen to Crested Butte & back Everything Else 4
Rockskipper Wild Horse Butte, Wyoming Hiking & Camping 1
Mike Jones Smithsonian Butte Road Utah BLM camping? Trip Planning 5
scatman Red Butte Canyon Rim-Walk - May 20, 2017 Hiking & Camping 10
Seldom Seen Anderson Red Butte Wilderness Hiking & Camping 3
Bob Wire Day Hike at Crown Butte Reserve Hiking & Camping 5
JackBurns Pahvant Butte Hiking & Camping 1
hatchcanyon San Rafael Swell - The Western Slope and Mesa Butte Off Road 2
JoanieBelle Crested Butte/San Juans Yankee Boy Basin 17-23 July Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Blake Merrell Canyoneering the Elephants Butt, eh... I mean BUTTE! Canyoneering 2
Nick Aztec Butte Trip Planning 0
regehr Steele Butte Trip Planning 3
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
futurafree government shutdown effects on national forests? General Discussion 21
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
fossana New Baaj Nwaavjo I'tah Kukveni National Monument General Discussion 4
J York Fire, Mojave National Preserve. Aug 2023 Resource Discussions 3
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
D Need suggestions -Beaverhead-Deerlodge National forrest, and Phillipsburg, MT Trip Planning 5
Ted California couple killed in Yosemite National Park rockslide identified by park officials General Discussion 0
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
fossana New National Monument planned in Southern NV General Discussion 3
canadug Hiker death in Zion National park :( Hiking & Camping 32
F Frontenac National Park, Quebec, Canada Hiking & Camping 2
J Mojave National Preserve Monsoon Aug. 3, 2022 Trip Planning 2
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
Absarokanaut Flooding in Yellowstone National Park and Adjacent Areas of Montana Today June 13, 2022 General Discussion 82