Gold Butte Region

Udink

Still right here.
Our second day in southern Utah was spent in Nevada. :) Our group was very fashionably late to breakfast at Golden Corral in St. George where we met with a large group of geocachers for their annual event held the first weekend of March. We picked up some other people after breakfast and decided to head to the Gold Butte region in Nevada. We made a quick stop at Kenny's house to load some geocaches into our GPS units, but since I didn't have my laptop I couldn't load any maps. Due to the spur-of-the-moment nature of the trip I didn't have a chance to do any research on the area where we were headed and I had little idea what was in store. We had three Jeeps and nine people as we drove past Mesquite and into the desert.

Driving along the Gold Butte Road
IMG_2952.JPG

Taking a break from the long drive
IMG_2954.JPG

Virgin Mountains panorama
IMG_2958_stitch.jpg

Gold Butte Road and Little Virgin Peak
IMG_2962.JPG

We turned south before reaching Whitney Pocket to look for a couple of geocaches. We DNFed on the first cache but found the second one which said something about petroglyphs in the name. After finding the cache we searched around for petroglyphs and found some that were so-so. I kept pressing on looking for more petroglyphs and was joined by Paul and Eric. We found some kinda interesting petroglyphs near a natural arch, then rounded a corner where I spotted the Falling Man petroglyph! It's a pretty well-known petroglyph, and I figured there would be more great rock art nearby. We ended up hiking for almost two hours and found hundreds of petroglyphs. It was a great surprise that none of us were expecting!

Climbing up a small sandstone peak west of Whitney Pocket
IMG_2964.JPG

Traci and Eric at the parked Jeeps
IMG_2967.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2972.JPG

One of a very few pictographs in the area
IMG_2989.JPG

Deer(?) petroglyph
IMG_2994.JPG

Karin on the rocks
IMG_3000.JPG

Following a trail to more rock art
IMG_3009.JPG

Dark clouds over the Virgin Mountains
IMG_3012.JPG

Petroglyph and a natural arch
IMG_3015.JPG

Bosley in the arch
IMG_3018.JPG

Falling Man
IMG_3029.JPG

Eric through an arch
IMG_3032.JPG

Little Falling Man
IMG_3035.JPG

Cliffs with a large concentration of petroglyphs
IMG_3048.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_3054.JPG

Mmm, bacon
IMG_3060.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_3076.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_3082.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_3092.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_3102.JPG

Bosley drinking from a small pothole
IMG_3106.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_3121.JPG

Eric and Paul hiking and looking for more rock art
IMG_3123.JPG

Painted petroglyphs
IMG_3140.JPG

Back at the Jeeps everyone was waiting for us when we returned. Sherie had found a strange, fuzzy red bug that I found out later was a Red Velvet Mite (we were all a little freaked out by it, not knowing whether it was poisonous). We drove on to Whitney Pocket and visited a dam built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. From there it wasn't far to the Devil's Throat sinkhole. The sinkhole was fascinating but there wasn't much to see there beyond the five minutes it took to walk around it and take in the sights.

Walking back to the Jeeps
IMG_3142.JPG

Red Spider Mite
IMG_3144.JPG

The Jeeps parked at Whitney Pocket
IMG_3148.JPG

The approach to a CCC-built dam
IMG_3150.JPG

Karin on top of the dam
IMG_3151.JPG

Chris on the large dam and Karin in the distance on a smaller, older dam
IMG_3155.JPG

Chris apparently warming his hands by the fires of hell at Devil's Throat sinkhole
IMG_3158.JPG

Next we drove down Mud Wash to another petroglyph panel. We tried getting to Devil's Fire (aka Little Finland) before sunset but we didn't make it. The sun dropped below the horizon while we were finding a geocache called Little Finland, but none of us knew the actual Devil's Fire location was almost a mile away. I have a feeling we'll all be back to experience it another time. We drove back in the dark and ate a late dinner at the Pasta Factory in St. George before retiring to Hurricane for a good night's sleep after a long day.

Mud Wash petroglyphs
IMG_3165.JPG

I loved this high, lone lizard petroglyph
IMG_3170.JPG

Small arches near Mud Wash
IMG_3171.JPG

Near Mud Wash with Bitter Ridge in the distance
IMG_3172.JPG

View up Mud Wash toward Whitney Ridge
IMG_3174.JPG

Sandstone funkiness near Devil's Fire
IMG_3175.JPG

Clouds after sunset
IMG_3176.JPG

Full photo gallery:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Dennis.Udink/GoldButteRegion

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

How big was that spider mite? He's an interesting little fella.

Does anyone know if any camping restrictions exist around here? Is BLM dispersed camping the name of the game?