Gear storage

Tyler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So, how do you all store your gear? I'm limited on space in some ways (although I'm sure it's better than others) with a single car garage. I have a nice sized shed in the back yard, but I like to keep all my gear in the garage for loading/unloading ease.

First, how many of you store your down bags as recommended (opened and hanging)? Also, for any of you that have the Big Agnes air core sleeping pads, it recommends storing fully opened, do any of you follow that? I'm running out of room for stuff like this.

I have shelves along each side of my garage and I sort my stuff into bins: Car camping gear (bigger stuff), Backpacking gear (lighter stuff), a bin for canyoneering related stuff, a bin for just my biking stuff, and a bin for misc. camping stuff (gas canisters, odds and ends, etc.). I also have a lot of hooks for helmets, rope bags, etc.

I also have sections on my shelves for all my sleeping pads, my tents, my backpacks, and my regular sleeping bags (in stuff sacks).

I think what I want to know most about is the down sleeping bag storage and other peoples opinions.

So, how do you all store your gear? I'm limited on space in some ways (although I'm sure it's better than others) with a single car garage. I have a nice sized shed in the back yard, but I like to keep all my gear in the garage for loading/unloading ease.

First, how many of you store your down bags as recommended (opened and hanging)? Also, for any of you that have the Big Agnes air core sleeping pads, it recommends storing fully opened, do any of you follow that? I'm running out of room for stuff like this.

I have shelves along each side of my garage and I sort my stuff into bins: Car camping gear (bigger stuff), Backpacking gear (lighter stuff), a bin for canyoneering related stuff, a bin for just my biking stuff, and a bin for misc. camping stuff (gas canisters, odds and ends, etc.). I also have a lot of hooks for helmets, rope bags, etc.

I also have sections on my shelves for all my sleeping pads, my tents, my backpacks, and my regular sleeping bags (in stuff sacks).

I think what I want to know most about is the down sleeping bag storage and other peoples opinions.
I have built shelves in my basement for my camping and hiking gear as well as hooks so I can hang stuff like backpacks etc..
I also have a Big Agnes air core and I've never had a problem with it rolled in it's stuff sack. I've had it about about 5 years.

I'm new to down sleeping bags since I bought my first one last month. It came with two bags, one stuff sack for backpacking and another larger breathable storage sack that the bag loosely fits in.

I just checked their storage care recommendations on their website, and they recommend storing it in the larger bag. Nowhere does it say to keep it hanging.

Might be an option for you?

I store my down bags in the big storage sacks, not hanging. It seems to me like the down would have a tendency to settle or shift into one side of the cels if it were always hanging.

I made up a nice little gear wall this past year because I was so frustrated with storing my gear. It has worked out great. I'll post some photos and details later.

I store my down bags in the big storage sacks, not hanging. It seems to me like the down would have a tendency to settle or shift into one side of the cels if it were always hanging.

I made up a nice little gear wall this past year because I was so frustrated with storing my gear. It has worked out great. I'll post some photos and details later.

I'd love to see pictures. Since I have such a small garage, I'm trying to make the best utilization of the space.

I store my sleeping bags hanging. Sleeping bags will have a couple of loops on the bottom of them. I put a couple nails in the ceiling rafters of our unfinished basement and hange my sleeping bags on them using the loops on the bottom of the sleeping bag.

My sleeping bags (synthetic, not down) came with a stuff sack and a big sack for storage. I keep them in my closet. As for the air pads. I keep them with the valves open laid flat under my bed.

Spent a little time getting my gear wall organized today. This is just my most commonly used stuff that I keep on hand all the time. The rest gets stuffed in the basement. Up until today I haven't had a bit of extra room on these shelves so I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. :).

IMG_0289.jpg

Nice, I built some 2x4 and plywood shelves 2 feet deep x 5 feet long 3 shelves high in my basement next to the climbing wall to store my gear on. Unfortunately I still need more room as I have more under the house and in the garage. I used to hang all of my bags but have found that unless your down has good baffles (many don't) the down settles to one end more than you want it to... I just put all of my bags into the oversized bags they come in and store pads inflated, and tents ect in tubs after they have dried :)

Nice, I built some 2x4 and plywood shelves 2 feet deep x 5 feet long 3 shelves high in my basement next to the climbing wall to store my gear on. Unfortunately I still need more room as I have more under the house and in the garage. I used to hang all of my bags but have found that unless your down has good baffles (many don't) the down settles to one end more than you want it to... I just put all of my bags into the oversized bags they come in and store pads inflated, and tents ect in tubs after they have dried :)

Totally agree on the sleeping bags and the insulated pads. So you store your tents un-stuffed too? Why?

Totally agree on the sleeping bags and the insulated pads. So you store your tents un-stuffed too? Why?
Mainly because I have 2 tents with clear windows in them and I have found that leaving them folded the windows get creases and dis-color... I have heard people say that storing tents folded/rolled will mess up the nylon but I call BS on that one :)

I'm about to move into a much more spacious gear room/office and thought I'd bump this to see if anyone has anything to share on the subject. Debating what kind of shelving/storage to use in the new room. I've totally outgrown the existing setup.

I'm curious as I'm about to lose storage space and moving into an apartment. Luckily I have the "master" room with a walk in closet. I don't have many clothes to store in it, but all of my gear will take up space.

@Nick I like the pic from last year. My backpacking gear is similarly organized in the single car garage. I use metal shelves for stability and a peg hole board to hang things up. My sleeping bags are stored in large bins rather than the bags to keep moisture out (we keep them out until they are dry before, obviously). The pads we keep unrolled with the valves open in a closet to minimize breakdown. The rest is in bins, much like the set up in the pic. I also have all my map/route info filed for easy retrieval.

I also have my canyoneering, camping, raft/river trip, kayaking, and overlanding gear organized. The garage looks like an outfitter gear shed and I love it.

Bins, hangers and a sturdy shelf unit are the best way to keep gear organized in a small space. Good luck @nonameiwant and I expect pics after it's complete.

Salud!

I use see through plastic containers that I fill and store in the crawl space in my master bedroom. We occasionally get mice and I'm paranoid about leaving anything out or hanging that might get chewed on. When family camping I just load the packed bins in my truck.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I searched before starting a new thread and found this one...

Now that Spring is on the horizon, my wife is all over me to organize the garage as my first Spring-time project. I don't have a dedicated room for all of my gear, only a one car garage which we also park a car in. I'm thinking of ripping out all of my shelving units and installing something more practical but don't really have a plan. I am also thinking it would save room to store our 2 kayaks on the same wall one above the other. Right now they are on opposite sides and our car door bangs into them when we open them.

@Nick posted a picture in this thread and I find it really helpful to see how other people have their gear storage set up.

Any ideas, tips, and especially pictures would be much appreciated.

I'm perplexed why some forums are against old threads being brought back to life. I totally love it when that happens!

Since that photo above, we finished our basement and moved down there, so I took over the old upstairs master bedroom as my new office/gear room. So now I have those two shelves plus a closet and a bit more room to work with. Unfortunately the pile of gear has grown with all the new stuff I've done since then like kayaking, boating, canyoneering and so on. So I had to add more shelf units and bins in my garage and basement to accommodate the overflow.

With that said, I'm not very happy with how I have my gear/office organized at the moment. I took a trip to Ikea a couple weeks ago in hopes of figuring out some awesome solution but came up empty handed. I need something very batcave-esque. All nice and tucked away and then when I open the doors everything has it's own little cut out spot just for that piece of gear. Oh, and it all has to be back-lit and make 'swoooooshhhh' sounds when the doors open. Is that too much to ask????

My solution for sleeping bag/sleeping pad, stored hanging (I have an Air Core too):

My sleeping bag has two hang-loops at the foot. I put two picture hangers into my wall, up near the ceiling, spaced as far apart as the hang loops. Put the loops on the hooks, done.

For the pad, I took some ribbon I had, cut it into sections, and made two loops with a knot on the end. I used Tenacious Tape to stick the loops to the pad - make sure the knot is entirely outside of the tape, or it will pull through. I let things sit for a while before hanging it, on the (unfounded) theory it would make the tape adhere better. I hang the pad behind my sleeping bag on the same picture hangers. It has worked so far.

I live in 160 square feet, so I had to get creative!

haha ......... I think Nick has a little too much gear to get used in a year. If he gets anymore He will need a storage unit... :)