Gaia GPS alternatives

What I'm seeing is "not currently."

I'd really like to see how this stacks up against Gaia. Better still, I'd like to have a Caltopo phone app.
FYI:
In Motion X I have imported CalTopo Maps. So in other words I do have a "CalTopo app."

Ok, so it's not a CalTopo app, in that it can't do all the things you can do
on the desktop site, but it is the CalTopo maps.

I believe it was a 4.99 in app purchase. It allows me to import any custom map I want.

In summary,
Is there anything comparable to GAIA for the iOS, iPhones, in a fixed price app?
Thanks.
Wayne

I have not used GAIA so I don't know what it's capabilities are. However, I have a couple iPhone apps I use which have been mentioned in this string. They are "Maps 3d" and Garmin's "Earthmate". Earthmate was free when I got it but I understand that it isn't free any more. I looked in the iPhone app store for prices on both, but because I already have them it didn't tell me what they cost. I've had some problems with bugs on Earthmate in the past. Garmin seems to be working hard to fix those but I still don't completely trust it which is part of the reason why I run both apps concurrently. I've never had any trouble with Maps 3d. Both apps are a little different and while they both do several things the same, one or the other will do some things a little better. You can down load quite a few different kinds of maps on both. I always run the USGS ones. Its a lot easier to download maps on Earthmate than on Maps 3d, but it's not like it can't be done on Maps 3d. On Earthmate there are some base maps that you have to have in addition to the USGS ones and sometimes it's nice to be able to switch between them to see how the base map portrays the terrain. This has one really big benefit too and that is that if you screw up and down load too small an area for the USGS map you still have a workable map because the base map covers an entire state. The Earthmate base maps seem to be kept up to date but they aren't as detailed as a USGS map. Roads aren't always right on USGS maps due to closures or new roads being added but I've never found the roads on the Earthmate base map to be wrong. Map downloads are free on both once you have the app. I like the redundancy of running both apps concurrently and the wide array of info provided between them and I will continue using them both. But if I had to be limited to just one I think I'd recommend Maps 3d. It's the one I usually check first in the field when I want to look at the map. If there's cell phone coverage there's some base maps on Maps 3d that can be used too. Those have always seemed accurate.

Last edited:
I just upgraded to the premium membership at $30 per year. The Nat Geo Trail Illustrated maps are worth it alone. This will be awesome to have on my phone next week on the Yampa River.

upload_2017-6-10_11-22-14.png

so a co-worker of mine that teaches the paid compass and maps class at REI told me about some apps that he uses and recommends. One is "Topo Maps" by Phil Endecott. It is $7.99 once i believe and you can download any amount of maps. It is for iOS. I just got an iPhone yesterday, so will be downloading this soon. For android, there is "US Topo Maps Pro" by ATLOGIS. Cost is $10.99. Haven't used that - but supposed to be great as well.

so a co-worker of mine that teaches the paid compass and maps class at REI told me about some apps that he uses and recommends. One is "Topo Maps" by Phil Endecott. It is $7.99 once i believe and you can download any amount of maps. It is for iOS. I just got an iPhone yesterday, so will be downloading this soon. For android, there is "US Topo Maps Pro" by ATLOGIS. Cost is $10.99. Haven't used that - but supposed to be great as well.

I used to use Phil's Topo Maps app but it's basically abandoned. It also requires huge raster file downloads and lacks tracking.

Saw the other GPS thread and it reminded me that my Gaia GPS "Classic" app(the one without a monthly payment) or whatever it's called still works fine as far as I can tell. Have not payed monthly for the new one.

Saw the other GPS thread and it reminded me that my Gaia GPS "Classic" app(the one without a monthly payment) or whatever it's called still works fine as far as I can tell. Have not payed monthly for the new one.

For now. Unsupported status means Gaia Classic will stop functioning at some point in the future.

For now. Unsupported status means Gaia Classic will stop functioning at some point in the future.

I did notice that they did update it to work with the new IOS so they kept it from dying which is something.