Fremont Island - February 19, 2022

If you’d gotten the number on that plane you’d probably find it was registered to the DWR. I heard they now have your photo on their "Help Us ID This Species" website.

Somebody ought to hone in that pretty quickly - The Fremont Cuckoo Bird. :p

You haven't been accessing their site with positive IDs have you?

I couldn't do that since I'm not even sure myself what the actual ID is. :)

Oh, it is definitely the Fremont Cuckoo. It's too fat to fly, and runs around making god awful noises. Also, it tilts its head back when it rains, greatly increasing the likelihood of drowning. :)

Great looking trip, but probably a bit much on the mileage for us at the moment. We were down toward the South end of Antelope Island a couple weekends ago. We had planned to hike to Frary Peak but arrived a bit later than planned and the parking area was a zoo. Instead we hiked from Garr Ranch up around Beacon Knob and back. That was our first hike down that direction and quite enjoyable. We plan on exploring the Southern part of the Island a bit more.

Last edited:
Hey @Ugly, what type of wildlife do think inhabits Fremont? I'm pretty sure I saw some rather fresh pronghorn scat, but I didn't see anything from up high, and I had good sightlines of almost the entire island.

Hey @Ugly, what type of wildlife do think inhabits Fremont? I'm pretty sure I saw some rather fresh pronghorn scat, but I didn't see anything from up high, and I had good sightlines of almost the entire island.
Since there are proghorn and muley's on Antelope, they may also look longingly at castle ROCK and dance across the mud flats, especially when the mud is frozen and not crawling with brine flies. So you are probably right, some antelope scat. I am not sure I want to walk 10 miles, but the water situation intrigues me too.

Now that I look at the internet, google concurs.
I also did remember correctly, there were boars on the island back when it was private. Now if one of those boars had been hiding in that hunting cabin, say reading some old magazines from the 60s and 70s that had been stashed up on the ledge between the walls and the roof and turned to see a kilted figure at the open door, that would be something else.

If that bird had just perished on the island, then it could be the resident rodent population that ate the body?

Great looking trip, but probably a bit much on the mileage for us at the moment. We were down toward the South end of Antelope Island a couple weekends ago. We had planned to hike to Frary Peak but arrived a bit later than planned and the parking area was a zoo. Instead we hiked from Garr Ranch up around Beacon Knob and back. That was our first hike down that direction and quite enjoyable. We plan on exploring the Southern part of the Island a bit more.

A number of years ago I hiked the southern causeway to Antelope Island from the International Center by the airport, but once I reached the island, I just turned around and headed back without really doing any exploring on that end. I've been to Garr Ranch twice, so the area between Garr and the borrow pits towards the south end is unexplored territory for me. So would you recommend the hike from Garr north to Beacon Hill? Did you use the Mountain View trail to get to Beacon?

Since there are proghorn and muley's on Antelope, they may also look longingly at castle ROCK and dance across the mud flats, especially when the mud is frozen and not crawling with brine flies. So you are probably right, some antelope scat. I am not sure I want to walk 10 miles, but the water situation intrigues me too.

Now that I look at the internet, google concurs.
I also did remember correctly, there were boars on the island back when it was private. Now if one of those boars had been hiding in that hunting cabin, say reading some old magazines from the 60s and 70s that had been stashed up on the ledge between the walls and the roof and turned to see a kilted figure at the open door, that would be something else.

If that bird had just perished on the island, then it could be the resident rodent population that ate the body?

It funny, while I saw multiple sets of coyote tracks across the mudflats, I didn't see any deer or antelope tracks, but there is definitely some wildlife that is calling the island home.

A maybe on the rodents, or perhaps a coyote.

I read about the exotic boars too. Wild boars are a bit nasty, so I'm guessing an exotic one might be more than the Scatman could handle. :) If I had encountered one when I opened the cabin door, I could have ripped off my kilt and used it as a cape, kind of like a bullfighter.

Speaking of old stuff from the cabin, this old (B&W or color maybe?) TV was left behind the cabin. I left it for you, along with the magazines from the 60s and 70s. :D

01d.jpg

Speaking of old stuff from the cabin, this old (B&W or color maybe?) TV was left behind the cabin. I left it for you,

How do you work that thing without a remote?! No wonder someone left it out there.
Those nobs and dials and stuff are too much. I cannot even find the power button on my flatscreen.

It reminds me when I watched E.T. with my kids last summer and E.T. hid behind the tv. "Why is the tv in a cabinet on wheels?" one of them asked and another asked about the antennae. "Well, we actually used to turn the tv off, and sometimes we even took our one tv and put it in the other room or put it away." or "Sometimes you tricked your little sister to hold the rabbit ears just right so you could get a less fuzzy rerun of Giligan's Island or Batman and Robin."

How do you work that thing without a remote?! No wonder someone left it out there.
Those nobs and dials and stuff are too much. I cannot even find the power button on my flatscreen.

It reminds me when I watched E.T. with my kids last summer and E.T. hid behind the tv. "Why is the tv in a cabinet on wheels?" one of them asked and another asked about the antennae. "Well, we actually used to turn the tv off, and sometimes we even took our one tv and put it in the other room or put it away." or "Sometimes you tricked your little sister to hold the rabbit ears just right so you could get a less fuzzy rerun of Giligan's Island or Batman and Robin."

I used to have an old small B&W TV that I had in my room when growing up. Maybe it had a 10 or 12 inch screen. I took it up to Logan with me when I went off to college, and I kept it up until my kids were maybe two years old and four years old. I then went to pull the antennae out and it snapped off at the base. It would still tune a channel if you were in just the right location in the house. Eventually the channel changing knob stopped working and that is when I got rid of it. So it has been roughly 18 years since I watched a B&W TV. I kind of wish that I still had it. :)