Floating Hite to Lake Powell

Nick

-
The recent Glen Canyon Dam thread got me thinking about how I'd like to float the Colorado from Highway 95/Hite down into Lake Powell while the water is low. I am not expecting it to be a pristine, beautiful stretch of river. I mostly want to see what the silt situation is and see how the canyon is coming back where the water hasn't been for years now. I also want to check out the side canyons that appear to be forming their own lakes blocked in by silt in the main channel. It's only 8-9 miles of river, but I think I'll make a full day out of it. Maybe even an overnight and then get picked up by my wife at the top of the lake from our boat.

Anyway, the point of this thread... Has anyone heard anything about what to expect in that reborn stretch of the river as far as technical difficulties and rapids? I'm guessing it would mostly be flat water with some minor riffles, but it doesn't hurt to ask around. I want to to do it in in inflatable kayak that is probably not good for anything more than class 2. I read somewhere that commercial Cataract trips sometimes keep going into Lake Powell and motor all the way to Bullfrog, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Has anyone heard anything about that or know anything about that stretch of river?

Ben

awesome. my day dreaming about similar things is what made me ask where Powell started now.

Nick

-
You could do a pretty cool packraft point-to-point with those upper canyons like Trachyte, Swett, Fourmile, etc. Not much motorboat traffic up that way either. I really want to check out Fourmile this year.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Outdoors24 Floating Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 7
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
Jammer Floating the Yampa through Dinosaur On The Water 5
regehr floating East Canyon Creek in a packraft? Trip Planning 3
DrNed Floating The North Platte June 2017 On The Water 5
Nick Floating Glen Canyon On The Water 3
DrNed Floating Smith River in Montana Trip Planning 55
DrNed Floating Through Dinosaur National Monument Trip Planning 9
Nick Floating lower Cataract into Glen Canyon Trip Planning 2
steve Invite Floating the Provo river (Provo Canyon) this Tuesday Meet Up (Members Only) 12
steve Invite Urban Adventure - floating the Jordan River this Sat, 3.21.15 Meet Up (Members Only) 7
steve Floating the Provo River On The Water 0
DrNed Favorite Places To Explore While Floating Labyrinth Trip Planning 38
steve Floating the San Rafael General Discussion 9
gnwatts Floating through Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 22
mattvogt7 Floating into the Maze Backpacking 10
AustinCronnelly Floating the Smith River, Montana On The Water 13
Mike K Floating the Dirty Devil Trip Planning 12
Nick Time to start floating! Gear 6
Nick Floating the South Fork Snake River On The Water 19
balzaccom Hite Cove Trail Work Hiking & Camping 1
Nick Dark to Cataract to Hite Backpacking 27
LarryBoy Moab-Hite April 25 or May 3 - Shamelessly Soliciting a Ride Trip Planning 3
Seldom Seen Anderson Between Hanksville/Hite Trip Planning 6
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
SirDonB Echo Lake via the Overlook Mt Trail Hiking & Camping 0
Tim Valentine Market Lake Idaho: Birds Photography 2
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 30
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Dustynails0 Beartooth lake to East rosebud traverse Trip Planning 6
kwc Winter Hike into Broomstick Lake 1/13/21 Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Jockeybush Lake in the Winter Hiking & Camping 8
D Coyote Gulch to Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Tomaswmitchell Cuberant Lake hike, Bigfoot tracks? Video Hiking & Camping 2
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Heart Lake -- September 14-17 2020 Backpacking 32
norwegianxplorer Summiting Mount Whitney from Guitar Lake, 6 Days backpacking the Sierra before the Creek Fire closed everything down. Backpacking 5
Perry Teal Lake Lollipop Over Night Trip Backpacking 21
kwc Murphy Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
Titans Pharaoh Lake Wilderness- some much needed Vitamin W Hiking & Camping 5
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Jammer Sequoia: Upper Kern and Lake South America Backpacking 12
Born to Hike 85 miles on the Uinta Highline Trail including Crater Lake and a Dinosaur: July 26 - Aug 1, 2020 Backpacking 33
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Okanogan National Forest : Copper Glance Lake & failed attempt at No Dice Lake Backpacking 2
Curt Visiting (Part of) the Lake District of Cloud Peak Wilderness Backpacking 15
scatman Bourbon Lake, Uintas - July 11, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
NorthwestWanderer Overnight Backpack to Louis Lake, Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 4
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
Perry Last Minute Over Nighter to Packard Lake Backpacking 13
Born to Hike Early June 3-day jaunt on the Uinta Highline Trail: Naturalist Basin, Pinto Lake, Margo Lake Backpacking 8
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 6