Floating Hite to Lake Powell

Nick

-
The recent Glen Canyon Dam thread got me thinking about how I'd like to float the Colorado from Highway 95/Hite down into Lake Powell while the water is low. I am not expecting it to be a pristine, beautiful stretch of river. I mostly want to see what the silt situation is and see how the canyon is coming back where the water hasn't been for years now. I also want to check out the side canyons that appear to be forming their own lakes blocked in by silt in the main channel. It's only 8-9 miles of river, but I think I'll make a full day out of it. Maybe even an overnight and then get picked up by my wife at the top of the lake from our boat.

Anyway, the point of this thread... Has anyone heard anything about what to expect in that reborn stretch of the river as far as technical difficulties and rapids? I'm guessing it would mostly be flat water with some minor riffles, but it doesn't hurt to ask around. I want to to do it in in inflatable kayak that is probably not good for anything more than class 2. I read somewhere that commercial Cataract trips sometimes keep going into Lake Powell and motor all the way to Bullfrog, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Has anyone heard anything about that or know anything about that stretch of river?

awesome. my day dreaming about similar things is what made me ask where Powell started now.

You could do a pretty cool packraft point-to-point with those upper canyons like Trachyte, Swett, Fourmile, etc. Not much motorboat traffic up that way either. I really want to check out Fourmile this year.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ugly Floating Island- Utah Trip Planning 8
Outdoors24 Floating Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 7
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
Jammer Floating the Yampa through Dinosaur On The Water 5
regehr floating East Canyon Creek in a packraft? Trip Planning 3
DrNed Floating The North Platte June 2017 On The Water 5
Nick Floating Glen Canyon On The Water 3
DrNed Floating Smith River in Montana Trip Planning 55
DrNed Floating Through Dinosaur National Monument Trip Planning 9
Nick Floating lower Cataract into Glen Canyon Trip Planning 2
steve Invite Floating the Provo river (Provo Canyon) this Tuesday Meet Up (Members Only) 12
steve Invite Urban Adventure - floating the Jordan River this Sat, 3.21.15 Meet Up (Members Only) 7
steve Floating the Provo River On The Water 0
DrNed Favorite Places To Explore While Floating Labyrinth Trip Planning 38
steve Floating the San Rafael General Discussion 9
gnwatts Floating through Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 22
mattvogt7 Floating into the Maze Backpacking 10
AustinCronnelly Floating the Smith River, Montana On The Water 13
Mike K Floating the Dirty Devil Trip Planning 12
Nick Time to start floating! Gear 6
Nick Floating the South Fork Snake River On The Water 19
RyanP road from Hite to Water Hole Flat Trip Planning 20
balzaccom Hite Cove Trail Work Hiking & Camping 1
Nick Dark to Cataract to Hite Backpacking 27
LarryBoy Moab-Hite April 25 or May 3 - Shamelessly Soliciting a Ride Trip Planning 3
Seldom Seen Anderson Between Hanksville/Hite Trip Planning 6
scatman Grebe Lake - September 4th through the 6th, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 20
K How long in Lake Bled? Trip Planning 1
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
Ugly Two Popular Lake Basins in the Cascades Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
kwc Limekiln Lake paddle On The Water 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
kwc Jockeybush Lake- southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
Ross Any Lake Powell experts who can advice on changed conditions at dramatically new lake levels? Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19