First Solo Jitters

Miya

I did a solo bikepack trip I want to do a solo backpack trip I just have a hard time putting the bike down. Anyway I started at 8pm at night it was no long ride and literally over the hill from my house but still in the middle of nowhere (no cell service). I rode out made camp in the dark and froze my butt off. I was nervous at the start, but so glad I did it.

Do the hike you have planned. Go the first night and if it freaks you out hike back out the next morning the way you came. No big deal. If you like it and nothing has gone wrong continue.

I have been camping and playing in the big bad outdoors for 40+ years now. Nothing bad has yet to happen. That doesn't mean you should just go without a solid plan and some contingencies if something does go wrong. Just don't let the solo thing bug you. Most likely you will find it highly enjoyable. Be sure to let someone know exactly where you are hiking and sleeping and when to expect you back and when to call out the posse to find you.

Most of all relax and enjoy the scenery.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Miya

I did a solo bikepack trip I want to do a solo backpack trip I just have a hard time putting the bike down. Anyway I started at 8pm at night it was no long ride and literally over the hill from my house but still in the middle of nowhere (no cell service). I rode out made camp in the dark and froze my butt off. I was nervous at the start, but so glad I did it.

Do the hike you have planned. Go the first night and if it freaks you out hike back out the next morning the way you came. No big deal. If you like it and nothing has gone wrong continue.

I have been camping and playing in the big bad outdoors for 40+ years now. Nothing bad has yet to happen. That doesn't mean you should just go without a solid plan and some contingencies if something does go wrong. Just don't let the solo thing bug you. Most likely you will find it highly enjoyable. Be sure to let someone know exactly where you are hiking and sleeping and when to expect you back and when to call out the posse to find you.

Most of all relax and enjoy the scenery.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Everything everyone has said, is stuff I thought or read or tell myself, but it reassures me to hear others. I know lots of people hike solo, so imma need to suck it up and just give it a try!

Thank you again :)

some whiskey (this is one I still do)... some ear plugs...

Yes! Alcohol. I have every intention of bringing my flask of Vodka, and I always bring earplugs, usually only use one though.

There are advantages, the main one being you see see more wildlife going solo. I also find myself more deliberate in thought and action to avoid mistakes that cause injury or debilitation. I will tell you straight up that the most transformative experience I ever had was on a solo backpack trip and I have been trying to repeat it for 33 years. Go for it! :moses:

I got you, I really feel like since I am so introverted and prefer solitude that I will love this experience, just might take some practice :)

As a woman who almost always goes solo, I say go off the beaten path, not where there are lots of people. First, you'll be safer, and second, you'll enjoy it more from the standpoint of knowing you can do it and also from enjoying the solitude. I wouldn't take any alcohol, but that's just me - I prefer to be on full alert. Part of the experience is in reverting to how we humans used to perceive nature before we invented all our buffers. Take some bear spray, even if you're not in bear country. Take a good Bigfoot book if you want to really enjoy being alone at night. (J/k) - Liz

Take some bear spray, even if you're not in bear country. Take a good Bigfoot book if you want to really enjoy being alone at night. (J/k) - Liz

Thanks!
Normally I always have bear spray, but this next location doesn't allow it, even though they require bear canisters *forehead slap*

I do not think I've ever seen a trail or park that specifically banned bear spray :scatman: .. kinda odd. I mean I only carry it in Grizzly country, but for those who feel better carrying it anywhere, that seems weird.

So many great things said here, Miya, that I won't repeat. Just want to say nervousness is totally OK! I bet it goes away when you feel some sun on your back, hear some birds, and splash below a waterfall. It may have been said but the Yosemite idea is really good because I believe most of the designated sites have several. So there will be people around. They're "vetted" in a sense since they have to get the permit.
If no one is around it may be a bit unnerving, but it gets easier your next solo, and the one after that.
After probably 1000 solo nights in my life I still may have a weird nervousness, or down right fear, if I've chose a site that I simply don't feel comfortable with (like, too tired or getting dark or approaching needed water, etc) . It is a good chance to practice some mindfulness and face the irrationality of what I am feeling.
You got this! You'll find that the wild is too important to you to miss for lack of a partner.
John

@Shirt357 it might seem weird, or down right illogical, but Yosemite NP prohibits the carrying of bear spray. I don't remember exactly where I read this but their reasoning is that since there has been no bear attacks in the park it is unnecessary to carry it. They categorize bear spray as a weapon and weapons are banned in the park. I have seen people carrying it in both the front country and backcountry so how strongly do they enforce it? idk...

weapons are banned in the park.

As of 2010, weapons are allowed in the National Parks, as long as you are qualified to carry a weapon otherwise (not a felon, etc). Weapons are not allowed in the buildings within a NP though. But as @BryanG wrote, bear spray is not allowed. And yes, that is nuts, especially with the problems that park has had with bears.

A couple of people mentioned taking books. I am quite fond of books (I’m a librarian), but I take an audio book rather than a paper one. It’s lighter, BUT, I only put one ear bud in so I can still hear the world, and I can watch *everything*. I used to hike the shores of Lake Superior, and when I read and then looked up, I’d be looking into bright sunshine and my “older” eyes would take a minute to focus. With the digital book, I watch the world, and have my mind entertained. It’s pretty perfect. And if I wake at 2 am, I can listen to something until I start to nod off.

On one of my first solo trips, I was at a group backcountry camp area. I was in the kitchen area and a young man came and hung his food bag and we chatted. He asked who I was with, and I confessed to being alone, and his immediate reaction was, “Wow.” I was only five miles from the trailhead, and there were plenty of people in the park, but I still remember his “Wow.” I was, and still am, pretty proud of that “Wow.” He was young and strong, but impressed that I was out there alone. Honestly, since then, I sometimes have to argue to convince people that my going alone IS a risk. It’s also a glorious gift to myself. :)

As of 2010, weapons are allowed in the National Parks, as long as you are qualified to carry a weapon otherwise (not a felon, etc). Weapons are not allowed in the buildings within a NP though.

Please note... I am NOT trying to start any kind of conversation on this nor am I advocating one way or another for anyone but... I think I have seen some more idiotic things on the trails and backcountry with some individuals and their weapon carrying. Responsible owners I am betting I may not of even known they had one... or perhaps they had me enough at ease that I did not notice. I think I would prefer the person to be carrying bear spray. Again... solely my comment and not one I want to get anyone here irked with me about. I've been on the trails both with people with and without one and been fine.

As to my comment on alcohol or sleeping pills... I think that is one by choice. I would agree with @Wanderlust073 though in that you do need to stay aware and ready for issues that could arise. I have some to just take the edge off once I get to camp. Perhaps it may be better to say that you need to judge use by where you go, how far you go, the type of hike, etc. Plenty of what-ifs I am sure.

Wasn’t my tip (though I agree with it). Avoiding unnecessary risks is rule #1 of solo backpacking imo, and that includes impairing your senses in any way.

@Wyatt Carson haha that is something I wish I could witness. I have encounter many bears in all different areas of the West but the black bears in Yosemite are different. They are just so brazen and really don't care about the people. There are habituated bears and then there are the bears of Yosemite. It is probably in large part due to the incompetent visitors. I remember two years ago we were camped in the Yosemite creek campground and these people pull in, put all their food on the table, set up the volleyball net (yes, the volleyball net) and then promptly take a nap with ALL their food on the table. Luckily a ranger drove by and woke them up but still... the stupidity...

@Miya since my hiking partner wont be able to join me this summer I am hoping to attempt by first solo trip as well! thanks for starting this encouraging thread and prompting me to revisit the topic. Hope everything goes well for you!

@Miya since my hiking partner wont be able to join me this summer I am hoping to attempt by first solo trip as well! thanks for starting this encouraging thread and prompting me to revisit the topic. Hope everything goes well for you!
Yay! I helped! Definitely hope to see a trip report or message me to tell me about it! Goodluck to you!!

I do not think I've ever seen a trail or park that specifically banned bear spray :scatman: .. kinda odd. I mean I only carry it in Grizzly country, but for those who feel better carrying it anywhere, that seems weird.

I was surprised by this is as well...I am going into the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Forest and they do not even allow pepper spray. I didn't realize Yosemite is like that too. Bummer.

Worse case, I will tell the assailant to wait momentarily while I put on my microspikes and then proceed to kick frantically. o_O