First Solo Backpack

andyjaggy

I've decided to finally stop being a wuss and try my first solo backpack this summer. I love company in the backcountry, but sometimes it's just hard to find people who are willing to go, when you can go, and go where you want to go. I feel like I am missing too many opportunities by not being willing to go solo.

So that said, and this being my virgin solo trip, I want to do something rather tame. I have a couple of ideas, but would appreciate any comments.

1)Ruth lake area. I figure it's highly traveled, close to the road, and I can maybe go off into the trees and have a little privacy, but still know that other are close by.

2)Ibantik Lake. I guess this one doesn't scare me too much since it's in the lower more accessible reaches of the Uintas. Close to fairly high use areas, though I'm not sure how much usage the actual lake gets. It also looks gorgeous.

3)Amethyst Basin. A pretty spot I've been meaning to get back to for years now. From what I recall it's a heavy use area, so I won't be totally alone.

4)Allsop Lake. This is the one I really want to hit up, but am a bit scared that it's a lot more out of the way than the others, but it still seems like it receives moderate usage, and there would be a good chance I wouldn't be completely alone.

Those are all great options. I'd also throw Ryder Lake in there as a suggestion. Allsop is probably the least trafficked of the places you mentioned, but I doubt you'd be all alone out there, so if that's where you really want to go, you should do it. Going solo feels a little scary the first time, but your first successful trip will give you some confidence. Just make sure someone knows where you're going and when to expect you back, and have fun!

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I might start off with the Ruth Lake area, and then when my wife can see that going solo is not an instant death sentence, maybe try one of the others. After all a summer with only one backpacking trip is no summer at all. ;)

The Ruth Lake area is an excellent choice. Lots of people around and close enough you could practically crawl out if you had to. I'd suggest picking up a Spot as well. You'll probably never need it, but it provides a little peace of mind for you and anyone at home wondering if things are okay.

Thanks Nick, I agree, I think the Ruth area will be really nice for my first time. How busy is it around Cutthroat? I was thinking maybe cut across country from Ruth lake to Cutthroat, or take the Lofty Lake Loop to Cutthroat and spend the night there. It looks like there are some great views across the basin and towards Hayden peak from the Cutthroat/Teal lake area.

I may have to pick up a spot to give my wife some peace of mind. We are going to be staying at the cabins at Christmas Meadows for a few days in mid July, I am hoping after she sees the area she won't worry quite so much.

I was at Allsop last year as well as Ibantik. We had the lakes to ourselves at night but saw day hikers/riders each day.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Aldaron Musings from a solo backpack General Discussion 10
gnwatts Northstar Northwind Solo On The Water 10
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
norwegianxplorer Early Season Solo Backpacking during Snowmelt Runoff in Norway Backpacking 0
R Eastern Uinta Solo Trip Advice Request Trip Planning 5
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
Miya 2nd Solo - Trinity Alps Wilderness - Wildflower Madness! Backpacking 50
TractorDoc September 14th-21st Solo Hiking in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP Hiking & Camping 12
Perry My First Multi-day Solo this Weekend - Looking for some Beta Trip Planning 0
Yvonne Yellowstone 2018 - a solo trip hiking and exploring America's first National Park: Part II Madison Hiking & Camping 3
Yvonne Yellowstone 2018- A solo trip hiking and exploring America’s first National Park: Part I Mammoth Hiking & Camping 13
fossana solo white rim day trip on the dual sport Off Road 11
Born to Hike Backpacking Northern Windriver Range, solo 60+ miles, 5 days, mid September 2018 Backpacking 17
Parma American man first to solo across Antarctica unaided General Discussion 21
Miya First Solo: I Did It! Backpacking 25
Jackson A Solo Stroll Near Capitol Reef Backpacking 17
Miya First Solo Jitters General Discussion 84
Perry Nepal Bans Solo Climbers General Discussion 9
seekinglost Sawtooth Wilderness, ID - 8 Day Solo Hike August 2017 + Solar Eclipse Backpacking 7
H suggestion needed: 9-day solo Winds near Elkhart Park Trip Planning 5
blueeyes #noplacefamous First Solo Bikepack Trip Everything Else 5
V Yellowstone - Thorofare - Solo? Trip Planning 15
C New Member - Coyote Gulch Solo Trip Noobs: Introduce yourself! 8
kimbur96 First Solo overnight, Navigation Trail, Upper Priest River, Northern Idaho Backpacking 10
CaptnKidd Solo Trek Down South, Advice? Trip Planning 8
kimbur96 Tell me about your first solo overnight trip General Discussion 2
seekinglost High Uintas Wildernes - 8 Day Solo Hike August 2015 Backpacking 10
seekinglost Uintas Highline Trail Solo Thru Hike - Getting to/from trailheads logistics Trip Planning 59
WasatchWill Going Solo in Capitol Reef Backpacking 27
Nick Solo at Powell On The Water 29
outnabout Solo Wind Rivers - Need some advice Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Yvonne Priord Lake Solo Trip, Uintas August 2013 Backpacking 20
owyhee Noob looking for solo hike advice in Capital Reef Noobs: Introduce yourself! 12
JoanieBelle Solo Utah Adventure Trip Planning 8
Kullaberg63 Solo Maze trip, with a twist. Hiking & Camping 13
tarpon6 9 Days Solo Wind River Range Washakie Pass, Grave Lake, Hailey Pass Loop. Backpacking 6
uinta_eagle Solo Uintas Loop From East Fork of the Bear Backpacking 5
MaddMoki A few shots from a winter solo odyssey above the Old Escalante Backpacking 9
PureLightImages Solo Hike with Baby - Northern Swell & Little Wild Horse 10.06.2012 Hiking & Camping 10
Nick Tips for solo backpacking Trip Planning 181
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
Tim Valentine Eastern Sierra Backpack 2023 Backpacking 16
T Cloud Peak backpack Trip Planning 0
F Little Death Hollow Backpack Trip Planning 2
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
C Grand Gulch Cedar Mesa Utah 11 Day Backpack October 2022 Backpacking 10
Ugly A Washington Backpack and some driving Backpacking 14
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
Kerrie at Thru We Go Grand Canyon Backpack/Packraft Loop at New Hance Backpacking 11