Fiftymile Mountain rim and ruins tour: 13 May 2023

BeardoMcGrath

Background

After finishing our three day exploration of lower Willow Gulch we had lunch in the shade at Sooner Rocks and then drove the steep 4WD road up Sooner Slide to Fiftymile Bench. The road definitely requires a HC vehicle but isn’t anything too difficult and wasn’t too washed out from winter melt or the previous summer’s monsoon season. The purpose of driving up to this lonely area was to explore Fiftymile Mountain the following day. We found a great spot not too far from the Lower TH amongst the junipers to car camp and settled in for a comfortable night after our short backpacking trip.

DSC02501.jpeg
Sunrise from camp, looking out towards the Bears Ears

DSC02503.jpeg
Beautiful campsite

Hike

Mostly cloudy to partly cloudy, then mostly cloudy with passing thunder late; 50s-60s

After a nice sunrise we packed our daypacks and made the short drive to the Lower TH. There was a good spot to park here that could also serve as a campsite, but with less of a view. Leaving the Tacoma at 9:40 under mostly cloudy skies, we walked up the old closed off road to the edge of the Straight Cliffs. The Lower Trail is certainly in a remote setting, but in good shape, well blasted into the hillside. After our trip along the relatively flat canyon bottoms, our hearts were pumping before long on the climb up. We saw a few wildflowers on the way, and before long reached the top of the cliffs, where the trail peters out next to a handful of huge cairns.

DSC02509.jpeg
Brian along the closed section of road below the bigger climb

DSC02513.jpeg
Wildflowers on the climb up

DSC02516.jpeg
One of the massive cairns at the top of the trail

It was rather blustery at the rim, and combined with the low clouds and occasional rain drops it felt a bit more like winter than mid-May. The plan was to follow the supposed cattle trail north to find the “Rim Ruins” noted in Kelsey’s Guide, which are located below Point 7586 on the USGS topo. Initially we didn’t have much luck locating the trail, and so engaged in some light bushwhacking to gain the ridge NW of the upper end of the Lower Trail. Along the way we passed a few snowbanks hanging on from the record winter.

DSC02518.jpeg
Lingering snowbank

After a snack break in view of the summit of Navajo Mtn (and thus a good spot for the members of our party who are self-employed to check some work emails) we continued down the other side under clearing skies and warming conditions. The going was much more open, and before long we stumbled on the old stock trail marked on the map. While following the trail is mostly easy, it definitely was faint in places but the open juniper forest up on this mountain made for easy walking. The contrast of green trees with the desolate red rock desert far below was enjoyable. Before long we reached the west side of Point 7586, and broke off the trail, rounding the slope until we reached a col between this summit and the rocky domes just to the north. Along the way we passed a snake and were able to snap a photo.

DSC02531.jpeg

After taking in the grand views from the rim over Escalante country, we peered over the edge to the SE to investigate the final section of the route. The guidebook states one must drop below the uppermost cliffs and contour around to find the ruins. From our vantage it was not possible to see the ledge they were on, but I suspected they were around the little ridge we could see in front of us. The upper slopes were somewhat choked with brush and oak, so we had to move slowly along the steep slope and backtracked a couple times when we came to spots that were too steep. We learned the best and least steep route is to stay as high as possible contouring around.

Once around the little ridge we could see the flat spot right before the ledge crawl to ruins. Looking at it we weren’t sure about it at first; I’m not particularly brave when it comes to exposure. However, once on my hands and knees I found it not too bad to shimmy across, with only one especially narrow spot to give pause. Soon we were next to the old granaries, perched with an unmatched view over all the red rock between us and the Henry Mountains.

DSC02534.jpeg
Final approach to the Rim Ruins below Point 7586. The ruins are out of view from here, around the little ridge photo center

DSC02535.jpeg
Descending through the brush to contour to the ruins

DSC02536.jpeg
Ledge crawl to reach the ruins. This wasn't toooo scary but you definitely want to take it easy to get across

It was about 12:10 when we got to the ruins ledge and we spent about 15 mins poking around; these ruins are pretty intact but this is definitely not a secret spot as evidenced by the recent graffiti from 2021 and 2022. We decided the best location to take lunch would be on the top of the little peak right above us, where we could sit in the sun and not have to contemplate crawling back across the narrow ledge. And so we traversed the airy ledge a second time back to our packs, and then back along the steep slopes to more level ground. It was a straightforward climb through some boulders to the top of Point 7586, where we were able to sit in the sun and enjoy the expansive views along with lunch.

DSC02537.jpeg
Granary with intact roof

DSC02541.jpeg
Storage with a view

DSC02542.jpeg
The ledge is somewhat narrow but we were able to poke around effectively

DSC02549.jpeg

DSC02551.jpeg
Only a couple pottery shards here

DSC02555.jpeg
View north from our lunch spot. Still plenty of snow on Boulder Mtn! The long snaking route of the Hole-in-the-Rock Road is also visible

DSC02556.jpeg
View across the Escalante Canyons to the Henry Mtns

DSC02562.jpeg
This looked like a kind of balsamroot one could see in E WA but I'm not sure if it grows this far south

After about 45 mins we were done with lunch and it was time to head back south, this time along the rim. While there isn’t a trail along this route, it is the best way to travel up here, with continuous views off the cliffs and only the occasional rim to negotiate. South of Point 7586 we dropped down past a pretty impressive Piñon Pine; during our visit on top of the mountain we saw quite a few old specimens of both Piñon Pine and Juniper. Not quite NW old growth but still impressive!

DSC02563.jpeg
Joe takes in the view. The point to his left is where we were headed next

DSC02565.jpeg
Large Piñon Pine

DSC02570.jpeg
View down to our campsite. Upon our return we realized we could actually make out the Rim Ruins through the binoculars

DSC02573.jpeg
A number of tree skeletons on the rim made for interesting photos

DSC02574.jpeg
Lots of the dead trees up here were all blown over in the same direction. Looks like there can be some pretty strong NW winds at times

DSC02578.jpeg
Flowers everywhere

Descending towards the top of the Lower Trail we actually crossed a small stream, so it seems there is water available up here in wetter years or the springtime (we had carried all our water up from the car for the day). Arriving back near the big cairns at 2:30, we decided there was enough time to explore a few other potential ridgetop ruins on the way to the survey point at the east end of Bull Ridge (Bull Ridge Point?), where I expected we would have a great view down Twilight Canyon to Lake Powell and across to Navajo Mountain. So we continued south away from the rim, through intermittent forest and then crisscrossing through sagebrush. Once again the pack trail on the map was hard to find, but climbing out of Trail Hollow and onto Corral Ridge we did find a couple of ruins in poor shape, not much more than stone circles on the ground.

DSC02579.jpeg
Looking back north over upper Trail Hollow back to the area around the top of the Lower Trail. We stayed in the trees to the right on our return as it was easier than weaving through the sagebrush

DSC02581.jpeg
One of the pretty degraded ruins climbing onto Corral Ridge

Once on the ridgetop we decided to angle back towards the rim, in order to have the best views. Portions of this area have been burned by fire–possibly the Lake Canyon Fire in 1996–but there were lots of wildflowers to brighten the scene and of course the continuous views over the rim. Walking the edge was quite easy, with only a handful of cliff bands to negotiate dropping between Corral Ridge and Bull Ridge. As we approached Bull Ridge Point we got great views back to the north along the surprisingly green slopes of the Straight Cliffs.

DSC02589.jpeg
DSC02590.jpeg
Looking north along the Straight Cliffs with the sun coming back out. Corral Ridge is at center-left

DSC02591.jpeg
Canyons of the lower Escalante. I believe this is looking straight into Davis Gulch

We reached unassuming Bull Ridge Point right around 4 PM, with partly sunny skies. While the point was unassuming, the views were not, with a 270˚ panorama from Navajo Mountain to Boulder Mountain. The point sits right above Fiftymile Point, which I recall looking massive from the end of the Hole-in-the-Rock Road a few years prior but looked somewhat small down below. We spent over an hour here in the sun and calm conditions, and I took plenty of time to look through the binoculars, particularly the interesting Entrada cliffs in upper Twilight Canyon and the massive deep canyons on the north side of Navajo Mountain. This spot may have some of the best views in all of Utah.

DSC02594.jpeg
Our reward: a five star view down Twilight Canyon to Lake Powell and Navajo Mtn

DSC02596.jpeg
Looking straight off the point. The top of Fiftymile Point is at center-left with Davis Gulch behind it to the left and Llewellyn Gulch above Brian.

DSC02598.jpeg
Assuming this came from a cow, if so it came to a scenic place to die

DSC02604.jpeg
The cliffs above Twilight Canyon were very impressive

DSC02614.jpeg
Though perhaps not as impressive as the vertical relief from Lake Powell to the top of Navajo Mtn. Still a few ski runs there on the north slopes...

DSC02627.jpeg
Happy hikers

Eventually it was time to depart, if we wanted to return to camp before sunset. Walking back NW into the sun was actually a little hot, a surprise after the cool and showery morning. Fortunately some clouds had begun to build again later into the afternoon, and so we were shaded as we continued along the rim off Bull Ridge and up and over Corral Ridge. On the north side of Corral Ridge, at the base of a small cliff band, we ran across an interesting old cowboy camp.

DSC02631.jpeg
Brian and an impressive old growth juniper

DSC02642.jpeg
Old fire pit at the cowboy camp

DSC02646.jpeg
Old bottle at the cowboy camp

Descending back into upper Trail Hollow we contoured around the hill right along the rim, staying a bit higher than our trip south to remain in the woods and avoid dancing around all the sagebrush. It was about 6:40 when we reached the top of the Lower Trail again, with the skies dark and threatening and occasional rumbles of thunder rolling our way. Not wanting to get caught out in anything unpleasant, we hiked back down the cattle trail pretty efficiently, although I did have to stop at some nice dappled light on Fiftymile Bench, as well as a rainbow appearing just before we returned to the pickup.

DSC02651.jpeg
Descending the Lower Trail under threatening skies

DSC02661.jpeg
DSC02663.jpeg
Rainbow just before the TH

Overall this was an excellent dayhike that provided some of the best views I’ve had in the state. For anyone headed up this way I would definitely recommend sticking to the rim rather than attempting to locate the old pack trail on top, although it may be more visible in some places rather than others. While we didn’t make it all the way south to Navajo Point, the view from Bull Ridge Point was exceptional and involved quite a bit less hiking. Bull Ridge Point would make an excellent campsite if you were willing to haul water up there. After camping another night on the bench we drove back down to the Hole-in-the-Rock Road, and back out to Escalante to continue our trip.

Nice Trip Report and Photos! Thanks! This place, the Kaiparowits Plateau has always been on my bucket list.

Really cool report. I have had this marked, but never made the drive and hike up there. I just might have to for an overnight next time I am in the area with "free time" or at least unplanned time!
The photos and writeup are sweet.

A great Trip Report, with some fantastic photos, especially the stunning views across the Escalante Canyons and towards Lake Powell and Navajo Mountain

It's disappointing to read about the recent graffiti close to the ruins you explored ... I'm surprised though, since this seems to be a relatively remote location ... it beggars belief that someone would go to all the effort of reaching this spot, and then decide to deface it

A great Trip Report, with some fantastic photos, especially the stunning views across the Escalante Canyons and towards Lake Powell and Navajo Mountain

It's disappointing to read about the recent graffiti close to the ruins you explored ... I'm surprised though, since this seems to be a relatively remote location ... it beggars belief that someone would go to all the effort of reaching this spot, and then decide to deface it
Yes we were actually quite surprised given these are far from the most well known ruins in the SE part of the state. We did see a pair of other hikers up on a bluff across from us at one point so perhaps more people go up there more than one would expect? After our hike up there we reported it to the folks at the Visitors Center in Escalante so hopefully they'll get up there to clean it up.

Last edited:
The years of the COVID fiasco saw a huge increase in vandalism and trashing of the outdoors...... A lot of people show no respect to anything anymore

Yes we were actually quite surprised given these are far from the most well known ruins in the SE part of the state. We did see a pair of other hikers up on a bluff across from us at one point so perhaps more people go up there more than one would expect? After our hike up there we reported it to the folks at the Visitors Center in Escalante so hopefully they'll get up there to clean it up.

Yes, it does seem a bit counter-intuitive that most of the well-known accessible archaeological sites in this region show little sign of 'modern' damage, and yet a remote location has ugly graffiti

Coincidentally (!), one of the worst examples of rock-art defacement I have seen is not too far from where you visited on this trip; a little-visited site on the Haymaker Bench, east of Escalante

Those shots of Navajo Mtn. and the Rainbow Plateau actually made my heart rate increase. I look forward to spending some time up there one of these years. Thanks for sharing.

I've been eying this area since I first started researching the Escalante area. Excellent bit of exploring in this trip report! That view toward Navajo Mountain is one I've wanted to see with my own eyes since first looking at maps.

Those shots of Navajo Mtn. and the Rainbow Plateau actually made my heart rate increase. I look forward to spending some time up there one of these years. Thanks for sharing.
I've been eying this area since I first started researching the Escalante area. Excellent bit of exploring in this trip report! That view toward Navajo Mountain is one I've wanted to see with my own eyes since first looking at maps.
Looking at the map for a long time before this trip I was hoping the views that way would be spectacular and they were! We really got a great sense of the geological overview of the area, from the uplift west of the Waterpocket Fold all the way to the upturned sedimentary layers around Navajo Mtn. The vertical relief on the north side, from the summit all the way down to the lake, was very impressive.