Favorite location with no cell phone service

Mikjik86

This crazy year has almost come to an end.

What were/are some of your favorite places to get away from it all and have no contact with the outside world?

I will start:

Fable Valley: Dark Canyon Wilderness takes the cake for me. If you know, you know. P1100174.JPG

Now personally I do NOT have a cellphone. I have never had one and plan on never never never getting one. Just plan to continue to live without these freaking contraptions.

Personally best place to get away from it all .... Anyplace That Is Wild - " At The End Of The Road Where The Trails And Life Begins".

But my most favorite area ... Anywhere in the Greater South Absaroka Wilderness.

But other areas are the Greater Bob Marshall Complex, backcountry Yellowstone, the North Absaroka Wilderness Complex, the Greater Escalante Country in Utah, the Greater Kaiparowits Plateau Country in Utah, Wild Alaska, and .....

Guess Anywhere Wild Away From It All!

Great one. How about a place that does have cell service but shouldn't - Thorofare Pk, by some measures the most remote peak in the lower 48.

haha I feel this one, have gotten cell signal from some amazing places in S Utah, mountain ranges in Nevada, etc. In some cases I legit couldn't imagine what tower my phone would be talking to. I don't really mind since I usually keep the damn thing in airplane mode so the battery will last when I use it for mapping, but it's a bit offensive at some level.

haha I feel this one, have gotten cell signal from some amazing places in S Utah, mountain ranges in Nevada, etc. In some cases I legit couldn't imagine what tower my phone would be talking to. I don't really mind since I usually keep the damn thing in airplane mode so the battery will last when I use it for mapping, but it's a bit offensive at some level.
Yeah I bet. Anything that's got a good view anymore has cell service too. Those blank spots on the cell coverage map are getting smaller and smaller. On one hand, that's helpful - I did 2 months in the GYE this summer, planning not to be in town at all, so having cell coverage just for basic things like paying bills and getting backcountry permits was indispensable.

On the other hand, the "sorry I'll be out of cell range" is an increasingly antiquated excuse when work calls in the middle of your vacation. That said, anybody who'd dare call during my backpacking trip probably doesn't have deep first-hand knowledge of the vagaries of cell communication in the deep backcountry.

No cell service at Campbell Icefield Chalet! However- on the several weeks a winter that we spend up there looking after the lodge- I am required to carry a VHF radio connected to the outside world via a repeater station, in case of emergency. Fortunately, the radio pretty much only gets used on "exchange days" to communicate with the helicopter pilot.
_1190103-copy-2.jpg
Increasingly, many other of the helicopter accessed backcountry lodges in BC have cell coverage, which they tout as an asset. That all too often leads to skiers spending their evenings engrossed in their devices.

Some places deserve to never have cell service, and I had the privilege of visiting one of those places last year. Admittedly my InReach worked here but I kept it off except for evening check ins.

LRM_EXPORT_38789605980461_20190813_103400913.jpeg

Now not only do I live without one of these cellphones, but what about just living a simple life also. LarryBoy talked about using his cellphone to help pay for some bills. But what if one did not even have any bills to pay. I also do not have a car, with walking or biking about everywhere I go. I do have this tablet, but it will go into storage with my other stuff when I go into the wilds. Less stuff then less to worry about. Remember many summers that between Memorial Day to Labor Day, I would maybe come out only twice to resupply. Great to just get back into those deep wilds and live. At times I would take a small radio with me. But how many times would I destroy the small radio for it was too too much of an intrusion from the outside Not Real World. For myself it is all about getting back into the deep wilds, the real world, with really enjoying life and the natural world as it is. But this is just me. Wishing Everyone the Best!

Deep in Thompson Creek, not far from our home in Carbondale. It is the closet backcountry area to us without cell service.
I find my cell phone really obnoxious at times. But it has a button I can use to turn it off.

IMG_1826 (1).jpg

It's great grizzly country! Haven't seen a bear in that area; all my bear problems have been in the Borner Fork area. Nevertheless, that whole area is probably some of the best bear habitat to be found anywhere. Love that place.
I've had the goal to get out there for the last 3 years and still haven't. Really need to change that next year.

Deep in Thompson Creek, not far from our home in Carbondale. It is the closet backcountry area to us without cell service.
I find my cell phone really obnoxious at times. But it has a button I can use to turn it off.

View attachment 94622
Are there any good backpacking loops/routes in the area for a few days that you could recommend?