Fall Creek Falls, Snake River Idaho

Duke

Mountain Carver
Ibenick's post make me think of the Falls on the South Fork, Swan Valley Idaho. Usually they are accessed via drift boat but there is a "trail" from above so no need to hire a guide to float you there. Heading up 26 in the Swan Valley area; one turns onto the dirt road paralleling the river. This road is just before the "big bridge" where 26 crosses the Snake. Just a couple miles up the road or so. There are no signs, just look for a creek heading toward the river. The roar of the falls is audible there also. The net is filled with awesome photos of the spot. Here are some not in that category. I float there so it brings up two conundrums for me: 1. I never dare to bring the 'good' camera/lenses along in the boat, just a point-n-shoot....and 2. The best light is early in the morning and my float times never bring me by there during any good light. Se La Vi, the flyfishing takes priority for the schedule.

IMG_6094.JPG
PICT0028.JPGPICT0011.JPG IMG_6115.JPG

Featured image for slideshow:
slide.jpg

I hear ya on the bad light there. If you're floating, you pretty much have to hit that later in the day, right? I know it was all in the shadows when we were there. Pretty tough to take a long exposure from a boat too! :lol:

I brought my fancy camera with me on the boat but it was kind of nerve racking. I just brought a big dry bag and kept putting it and taking it out. Now that I have a better point and shoot I might just bring it.

Shadows in the evening, though it still beats the midday sun. I have never been there at the correct light but based on the evening shadows first light would be it. However, if I am floating the upper stretch I would have to zip right through some of my favorite areas to get to the falls and I just can't bring myself to do it...... So, I am almost always there at bad light.

This is a sweet waterfall. I used to live not far from it in Rigby, but never got into photography till later after moving back to Utah. I have hiked down from the road many times to the waterfall. It took a little bit of some scrambling to get down, but was worth it. I am not sure when it had that big part of it fall off on the left, but here is a couple shots I took back in 2003 and 2004.

DSC04884.jpg

CRW_9309.jpg

Back