Everywhere I've ever camped

Nick

-
As I mentioned in another thread, I keep a personal Google Map and I drop a pin on every spot that I've ever camped. If I've camped there multiple times, it's a purple flag. One time, it's a blue flag. Obviously I'm missing a ton of flags from when I was younger, and some of the early ones I've just placed in the vicinity of where I think I was.

For me, this is a great tool to keep me motivated and especially to keep me exploring new places. It's easy to get in a rut and keep going back to the same awesome places but then you don't get a new pin on the map! :D

Here's a screenshot of the Utah portion of my map. I have some flags in Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona and Oregon but not very many.

At this zoom level a lot of the flags are hidden behind others, but you get the idea. ;)

Looks like I really need to spend more time in Cedar Mesa!

utah-campsites-map.png

That's awesome. Like your backpacking weight spread sheet, I'm going to have to copy you on this one.

very cool that you are doing this.
I've been starting to create paths for all of my dayhikes & am thinking of going back & creating some for older hikes. at first i was just highlighting areas I've covered on my Nat. Geo. Map for the area.
I've been building an internal map working my way outwards from Boulder & rarely, if ever, hike in the local area in places in which i do not have a previous reference spot. old school explorer style. ;) it is rare that i even look at at map when out on the trail.

Have you spent anytime in the Unitas? ;)

I like this idea too nick. Sure would be quite the project for me to copy it though. Yikes..

I like this idea too nick. Sure would be quite the project for me to copy it though. Yikes..
Sadly, it didn't take me long as I probably have 1/10 of what Nick has... or less.....:(

I'd love to see a composite of data from all members on here! It would be a great way to see usage patterns at a glance.

BTW -- I have a similar KML file with all the trails I've hiked in southern Utah. I'll see if I can post it later this week.

- Jamal

LOL! Tyler, you're not suppose to "like" that I have so few pins on my "camped here" map. :lol:

I'd love to see a composite of data from all members on here! It would be a great way to see usage patterns at a glance.

BTW -- I have a similar KML file with all the trails I've hiked in southern Utah. I'll see if I can post it later this week.

- Jamal
I made mine in google earth and then imported the KML file into google maps.

After I read the post I started putting together a map. I also put one for everywhere I've lived which is a lot of places.

I was just catching up my 'Everywhere I've Ever Camped Map' and remembered I'd posted a screenshot here. Fun to go back and compared the map from 2 years ago. Still slacking like crazy in southeastern Utah and the Wasatch.

eg14.jpg

Although I did pickup a bunch in Wyoming that I didn't even bother doing a screenshot of before.

upload_2014-4-15_23-6-24.png

Anyone else keeping a map? It's fun to go back and be able to remember right where a killer campsite is sometimes. Also good to remind yourself you're really neglecting certain areas, as it is in my case.

I was just catching up my 'Everywhere I've Ever Camped Map' ....

You seem to have a void in the Upper Paria area too (and Bryce). Didn't you do a Bull Valley/Sheep Canyon trip?

I have my camps in Google Earth. When I did the master map for my site I decided not to export and include these -- but I should go back and do it just for this thread. That doesn't include my car camps though -- just hikes.

- JG

Nice. I have been thinking about getting a big utah map on the wall and doing this, but google maps would certainly be easier. It looks like you need to spend some time in the west desert.

I started mine after @Nick first posted his a while ago.

My "everyplace I've camped" map is only from the past 8 years. There's no way I could remember everywhere I camped as a kid! Looks like I've been neglecting Idaho.

Campsites.JPG