Eclipse in the Wind Rivers

Nethos

My wife and I are planning to head to the Wind Rivers this August for the week&weekend of the Solar Eclipse, and looking for some 4-5night suggestions.

We had been looking at the Teton Crest Trail but ultimately punted thinking it would be crazy crowded and definitely not because someone forgot to log on and get permits in February ([emoji6]).

My wife has plenty of experience backpacking but this would be her longest trip by far to date. Mostly 2nighters for her previous. I have experience with this length of trip and am comfortable. We are both fit and capable, though we are more 10-12 mile day people. We'd be flying into SLC or Jackson and likely renting a car [emoji24]. I see no other options and the trail shuttles seem too steep for my blood. Point to point or loop is fine, at this time another couple from out west will likely join us and we can spot cars if needed.

Would the Highline trail be a good fit? We want something that length where we can be a few days from a trailhead on the day of the Eclipse, and I thought it would be a good option because it seems to have some bail out points in case the wife gets cold feet after night 3. But I have never been to this area before, so very open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance and let me know if I can provide other info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like the real question is: where is the weather likely to be good in August? This is afternoon thunderstorm season, which seems to argue for driving somewhere farther west: in the Cascades you can see the eclipse closer to 10am whereas it'll be nearer noon in the Winds.

I'm 44 and have never seen a total solar eclipse and really, really don't want to miss this! I live in SLC and had been planning on driving up into Idaho with my kids.

Hmmm. Good point. Are the t-storms in the winds an everyday reality? Or is it just that there's a stronger chance during the late summer?

Last edited:
Which thread? I think you forgot to link :)

Union Pass north of Green River Lakes is on the center of the path.
The Gros Ventre (spelling?) Wilderness is on the path.
If you want mobility to dodge bad weather find the path map online and pick a spot East of the Divide. Then go backpacking after the herds clear out.
Good luck.
Wayne

Nah, just had to go dig it up. There are like 5 eclipse threads here now...

Sorry if it feels like I'm adding to the spam!

Eclipse aside, anyone here that has experience with the Highline Trail Green Lakes to Big Sandy? Basically looking for a 5-6 day trip with some bail out options in the Winds or Gros Ventre, as it'll be my wife's first trip of this length.

We'd likely be flying in from sea level NYC and spend a day acclimating(although we are kicking around the idea of driving the eCamper https://www.flickr.com/gp/120748852@N04/V43n0y out).

Eclipse aside, anyone here that has experience with the Highline Trail Green Lakes to Big Sandy? Basically looking for a 5-6 day trip with some bail out options in the Winds or Gros Ventre, as it'll be my wife's first trip of this length.

We'd likely be flying in from sea level NYC and spend a day acclimating(although we are kicking around the idea of driving the eCamper https://www.flickr.com/gp/120748852@N04/V43n0y out).

I haven't done that trip myself, but this is a great documentary about that trip. I believe it takes them nine days.

I would recommend checking out Island lake and the Titcomb Basin area. You could hike in from Elkhart Park TH and back out, there are a few loop options. You could also do the highline from Green River Lakes TH to little seneca lake, and out Elkhart, that is a beautiful hike.

Question:
How do you plan to get back to your vehicle if you do the traverse?
Wayne

Question:
How do you plan to get back to your vehicle if you do the traverse?
Wayne

We may be traveling with friends from out west. So, car spot.

If not, mayyyybe the shuttle service, but it's pretty pricey.

Can you string together 4-5 nights out of Elkhart/Titcomb? Maybe hike in base camp and dayhike out of there? Light bush whacking isn't out of the question for us.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Can you string together 4-5 nights out of Elkhart/Titcomb? Maybe hike in base camp and dayhike out of there? Light bush whacking isn't out of the question for us.

I'm not sure why you'd want to spend any less time out of that trailhead. It takes a day and a half just to get into the goods.

I've done two 7 day trips and a few shorter ones out of Elkhart Park. Lots of options there. Titcomb Basin is a must see. The trail from Elkhart Park to Photographer's Point is the trail that never ends--long and not very interesting. Things get good once you get to Seneca.

Hey @Nethos , sorry for the delayed response (I lost access to my log-in data/password about a year ago; just now getting back on here)

There's an 80% chance (or better) that I'll be leading a small group on a [roughly] 7-day backpack in the Winds during the eclipse. Planning to start at Elkhart Park at least 4 before the eclipse, pass through Titcomb Basin before the weekend (hoping to avoid crowds) and head north of there in hopes of being relatively remote (and secluded, hopefully!) by the 21st.

We plan on using the Pinedale Outdoors shuttle service to move one of our vehicles to either Green River Lakes or New Fork Lake. We think it's worth it for the $100 'quasi-shuttle' fee, lets us cover more miles and hopefully be further away from dayhikers / overnighters when the eclipse hits.

Probably 4 of us for sure, but could be 6-7 of us in our party if all decide to make it.

Last edited:
Do you have an idea of how many people fit in their shuttles? Wondering how plausible it would be to try and share one if we're going in and out on the same days/trailheads.

Do you have an idea of how many people fit in their shuttles? Wondering how plausible it would be to try and share one if we're going in and out on the same days/trailheads.

They move your vehicle for you while you're out hiking. I'm not sure if they even do people moving.

Nick is right that from the West "The" Winds have a very long approach. That's the biggest reason why I haven't gotten deep into them for many years. However much I greatly prefer the Southern Absaroka Wall and true Headwaters area of the Wind River across the Wind River Valley I do however regularly get "deep" into them from the much shorter appraoches just outside of Dubois. These pics are all day hikes if you want them to be.

Bighorns on Whiskey Mt.

Wind River bighorns on Whiskey.jpg

This is actually from a vehicle West of Union Pass on the two dozen mile long meadow.

Winds From Union Pass Dos.jpg

A friend on the Northern Alpine Terminus of the Winds, Union Peak.

Winds Sheryl On Union Peak.jpg

From Union Peak.

Winds Union Peak View.jpg

Bomber Falls.

WindsBomber 2.jpg

Ross Lake and Downs Mountain from Whiskey Mt.

Ross Lakes From Whiskey July 2011.jpg

Attachments

• Winds Bomber 1.jpg
    Winds Bomber 1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 17
Check the resource section... I have gpx route. Also search this forum for windrivers, wind river. I have posted under wind river. You will find a lot.

Highline trail has a lot of people, titcomb is nice but overrated....as nice but less crowded places.
Check out MyOwnFrontier wind river on Utube for the north section.

Here's the Utube of my trip:

Last edited: