Eclipse in the Wind Rivers

Hey @Nethos , it looks like we are going to do it after all.

We plan to go in at Elkhart Park around noon-ish on Wed Aug 16th, so we can visit Titcomb Basin (17th, maybe 18th) before the weekend crowds and be gone, heading north toward Jean Lakes and Elbow Lakes. Maybe drop down into Sauerkraut Lakes, to fish, but maybe heading north to NoName & Cuthroat area. From there, work towards Lozier Lakes and Kenny Lake, either cross-country across the plateau just west of Glover, or else on the highline via Clark (depending on weather, energy levels, etc). The idea is to view the eclipse from Greeley Pt, or the plateau around Lozier Lakes pass (just above Clark Lake), or perhaps even on top of Peak 11.820 overlooking Lake 10925 (sometimes labelled Marten Lake on some quads, sometimes labelled Kenny Lake). From there, we'll either head out New Fork Park, or the Green River (Highline Trail) to Green River Lakes, on Tuesday the 22nd.. We're currently still debating which exit.

As of right now, I think it's just 3 of us, but we may have 4 people. We're looking at 8-10 miles on most days, depending on weather etc. My wife takes a ton of photographs (and carries a lot of photography gear), hence our "slow" pace. We can knock out 15-18 miles/day when we need to, if weather or other conditions warrant. Contact me if our schedule (16th - 22nd) is potentially useful to you re: car shuttling or what have you.

I'll PM you!

Hey, I just got into Pinedale today, and the whole area is under a thick cloud cover and it even sprinkled a little (it's actually pouring now). But when you're coming up here (from the south), you can see that this area has the only clouds for miles and miles, everyplace else is totally clear. I think I would steer clear of here personally. I camped in a cool spot on the way up about 10 miles north of Baggs Wyoming that has 360 degree views and would be perfect. Watch for a big Quonset hut just past it going north (turn around). It's on the east side of the highway and is signed "Wild Horse Road," but it splits into three roads and I took the middle one that goes way up on a big ridge. Nary a soul around, no bugs, no wind, and perfect views. The coyotes sang to me at dusk. I think it's called Wild Horse Butte. Nice views of Baker Peak, Black Mtn, and the backs of the Bears Ears (Colorado's, not Utah's).

I was curious about this spot so I searched it on a map of the path of the eclipse, and it looks like it's outside the path. Just a heads up. ;)

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

I realized that later. But good to let people know. No point in going that far and not seeing the totality. That's a very cool map you posted, as it gives lots of data for a location.

Thanks! That was my thinking. It would suck to get out there and realize you weren't getting the full meal deal, so to speak. I've been using that map to help me figure out where I can go to be within the path of totality. Glad it was useful. :)

I'm sure this gets asked a lot here but, is there a general consensus on bear cans in the Winds? Im aware that it's not required. I'm very comfortable hanging in areas with trees, but obviously a lot of this route is above tree line. My rope and hanging skills are good, but is it truly that easy to find boulders etc to hang off in the above timberline areas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Nethos , it's going to be hard to hang if you decide to camp in Titcomb Basin. For the route we plan to do, we would not have hanging options on 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, nights. A few years ago, we started using bear cannisters on all our treks - even in the Appalachians - because we grew fond of using them as camp chairs. They're a nuisance, but then again, so is sh!tting in the woods. ;-)

Do you need to be bear safe if all you carry is freeze-dried foods - the kind sealed like Mountain House? I know bears have a tremendous sense of smell, but is it that good?

Turns out we had perfect weather and the clearest of skies - not just for the eclipse at Greeley Point / Clark-Lozier Pass, but for the entire 7 day trek in the NW winds. It was amazing to see the eclipse at 11,000', but even if we hadn't, the trek was worth it.

None of us had ever been in the northern Winds before; I was the only one of our group of 5 who had ever hiked in the Winds before (and it had been 35 years ago for me since the last times, in the southern Winds).

Turns out we had perfect weather and the clearest of skies - not just for the eclipse at Greeley Point / Clark-Lozier Pass, but for the entire 7 day trek in the NW winds. It was amazing to see the eclipse at 11,000', but even if we hadn't, the trek was worth it.

None of us had ever been in the northern Winds before; I was the only one of our group of 5 who had ever hiked in the Winds before (and it had been 35 years ago for me since the last times, in the southern Winds).
Welcome back to the Windies, Langdon! Any chance of seeing your route, or TR? If you are shy about sharing the route a PM would even be good. Lozier lakes area was fab. for me one year and exposed me to the wonderful New Fork on approach.

Yeah, I hope to do a trip report later, I have a major work deadline due Aug 31 that is going to beat my ass over the next week. (Actually, I owe you guys quite a few TRs. :( Yeah, I suck that way.....)

Here's our route, +campsites. Four of us dayhiked into Titcomb on day 2 from Island Lake.
Click here to view on CalTopo
Views into New Fork valley/park and Palmer Canyon were Yosemite-esque. I'm glad we made the effort to loop around there.

If I could do it all over again, I'd try to find a way to camp at Upper NoName Lake. That entire section between Summit & beyond Cutthroat was outstanding (as was the entire Lozier / Greeley / Clark area.)

Yeah, I hope to do a trip report later, I have a major work deadline due Aug 31 that is going to beat my ass over the next week. (Actually, I owe you guys quite a few TRs. :( Yeah, I suck that way.....)

Here's our route, +campsites. Four of us dayhiked into Titcomb on day 2 from Island Lake.
Click here to view on CalTopo
Views into New Fork valley/park and Palmer Canyon were Yosemite-esque. I'm glad we made the effort to loop around there.

If I could do it all over again, I'd try to find a way to camp at Upper NoName Lake. That entire section between Summit & beyond Cutthroat was outstanding (as was the entire Lozier / Greeley / Clark area.)
Thanks Langdon.

That Jean lakes area is also one of my favorite places in the Windies as well as your route through New Fork and Lozier Lakes. Looks like Greeley was a great perch to see totality!