Dog-friendly hikes around St. George

Nick

-
I'm heading down to the St. George area this week to do some work, which happens to be hiking 15 or so easy to moderate trails over 3-4 days. I want to bring Sage with me as I'll otherwise be solo. Any suggestions on good hikes around St. George that I can do with a dog?

This is my working list...

upload_2014-3-17_15-50-48.png

I may also end up needing to do a few in Snow Canyon, if that were to happen, is there anyone in the St. George area that might want to let me leave a really cute dog at their place for a morning or afternoon? :)

upload_2014-3-17_15-52-40.png

Dang!

Yeah, any input on anything would be great. On the ones I have listed or others that would be good. I need to fill in all the 'TBD' spots with an actual hike!

Also, I wouldn't mind hooking up with anyone for a hike but my schedule is going to be a bit nuts going from trail to trail. If you're around and want to go for a hike on one of these kinds of trails, let me know.

I'm planning to be down in St. George as well. Maybe we could meet up for a time on Saturday or Sunday.

I'm at home this weekend and might join you on a hike or two. :)

Pioneer Park is more like a picnic area than a hike, a bit of fun scrambling and Dixie Rock out there as well as the Joint, a super skinny crack where I barely can squeeze through.
Anaszasi Ridge is dog friendly, a lot of locals hike there with dogs. Halfway Wash Trail starts around the corner at my place but it's more like a bike trail and paved. Yellow Knolls is a nice and fun trail, super easy, but nothing super exciting, dogs are welcome.

Have you done Snow Canyon Overlook off Highway 18 in the Red Mountain Wilderness? Or have you done Jones Bones? It's across the street at Snow Canyon North Entrance, easy trail and great for sunrise or early morning.

Most anything you do on BLM land by St G is pretty lax dog wise. I used to walk my family's pooch out and about all the time off leash. But I stuck to less popular spots because she wasn't the most trusting of other people. Regulations may be different on more popular trails.

Beware that rattlesnakes will be waking up from their winters around now and the hills around there are slithering with them.

Yeah, the 'suuuuuuuper easy' hikes in that column are just paved trails and stuff. Not all of these are necessarily my kind of hike, but walking them is not a bad way to make a living. :)

Is Snow Canyon Overlook and Jones Bones within the state park or outside where I can bring my dog?

Good call on the snakes, @Scott Chandler. I need to take Sage in for her spring rattlesnake shot before I go!

Is Snow Canyon Overlook and Jones Bones within the state park or outside where I can bring my dog?

Are you talking the Snow Canyon Overlook on the west or east side of the canyon? I know there are a couple overlooks but I've never been sure if there is an "official" Snow Canyon Overlook.

I believe the western one is in the Red Mountain Wilderness, managed by the Forest Service=probably Sage friendly.

the overlooks are both outside the park boundary. I know probably of other ones, too, but they are way harder to get to and involve some climbing.
Red Mountain Wilderness is Forest Service, the other official one is just a viewpoint off Highway 18 and Jones Bones is also a hike outside the park off Highway 18.

When it comes to rattlers I've never seen one here in the St. George area and last year I hiked in Snow Canyon almost every second day.

When it comes to rattlers I've never seen one here in the St. George area and last year I hiked in Snow Canyon almost every second day.

I never did either for 5 years then my dog got bit and a friend of mine saw two all within a month (around this time of year.) They're there, you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Better safe than sorry, especially with the curious pups.

I never did either for 5 years

Heck I lived in the desert for 21 years and saw one wild rattlesnake in Phoenix AZ. I never even saw the one that got my dog in St G. Then last summer I saw five in the Salmon Mountains of Idaho, one rattled me so bad I nearly peed myself. Easily within two feet behind me, strike distance.

Right place, wrong time. :eek:

Heck I lived in the desert for 21 years and saw one wild rattlesnake in Phoenix AZ. I never even saw the one that got my dog in St G. Then last summer I saw five in the Salmon Mountains of Idaho, one rattled me so bad I nearly peed myself. Easily within two feet behind me, strike distance.

Right place, wrong time. :eek:

Only time I've seen rattle snakes is on the north facing slope of Millcreek Canyon.

I need to take Sage in for her spring rattlesnake shot before I go!

Is that a real thing? I've been worried my dog would die from a rattlesnake bite. Can humans get rattlesnake shots?

Is that a real thing? I've been worried my dog would die from a rattlesnake bite. Can humans get rattlesnake shots?

Not sure about humans, but it's legit for dogs. It's like $40 per year and it basically just makes it so they can survive much longer while you get them to the vet. I've never had a dog get bitten, but given that I'm often many hours away from a vet if it were to happen, it seemed like a good idea, at least for my dog(s) that hike with me often.

http://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/dog-health/Rattlesnake-Vaccine
http://www.redrockbiologics.com/rattlesnake_vaccine_for_dogs.php

With that said, I've ran into a handful of rattlesnakes but they've always been in the mountains and almost always between my legs when I noticed them! :eek:

With that said, I've ran into a handful of rattlesnakes but they've always been in the mountains and almost always between my legs when I noticed them! :eek:

YIKES! Good thing you're really tall!

I have seen plenty around STG hiking and biking. In the 4 years I have lived here I haven't gone a year yet without coming across one. Almost stepped on one. Nick you should add the third ravene hike that is dog friendly.Wish I could go with you but moving this Friday. Spencer is staying until May and dog is welcome to hang out with him or at our house while you hike. Text me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Second question for you, Chere (or anyone that knows): is that area out by Third Ravine as good as it looks on satellite for finding a quick spot to camp for the night? I'm not looking for much but some nice rocks and maybe views would be nice without having to drive really far out of town. Just a spot to pop open the back of the truck and go to sleep without people all around.