Cuberant, Kamas & Lofty with a little Mount Marsell

Blake Merrell

Life Elevated - Rising Higher

This is what happens when you leave it up to me to plan a 3 day backpacking trip for 12 year old scouts! The orginal plan was to get dropped off at Payson Lakes and then have the boys backpack over Loafer Mountain, through Snell Canyon and then just walk home. That would have been a 15+ mile hike and probably would have soured the kids to backpacking for the rest of their lives. No way I wanted that to happen, so the more I thought about it, the more I realized I wanted to introduce the scouts to some amazing scenery, with some short sections of backpacking, and try and include a good mountain summit. Do something that is amazing, but not to hard.

After a bit of searching, I found a potential route in the Cuberant and Kamas lake area of the High Uintas.

The beginning of this hike was pure torture! The scouts left on Thursday night, instead of the usual Friday evening. This meant that I had to be at work on Friday while they were traipsing across the wilderness. I was super jealous. To ease the pain, though, I sent the Scoutmaster with a Spot GPS tracker and I was able to follow them with the aid of GPS tech and Google Earth! Every 10 minutes I a GPS track would show up on the Google Earth map. It was fun to see them making progress. On Friday, when I saw that the team made it to the top of Mount Marsell I cheered in my seat at work. I was thrilled to see that the group made the climb! If I couldn't be there in person, I guess following them with the SPOT is the next best thing :)

Over the course of 3 days, the scouts trekked 6.9 miles. Over the course of those 6.9 miles they gained and lost 2215' of elevation.

Day 1 & 2

Day 3

I tell you what, those 6.9 miles are some of the highest quality miles I have hiked. Maybe I suffer from short term memory bias, but the views seen along this loop are some of the best I have seen. I enjoyed the many lakes, meadows, and streams that were encountered. and the summit up and over Mount Marsell was incredible. My breath was literally swept away as I walked to the top of Mount Marsell. Anyway, I am getting a bit ahead of myself....sorry ;)

The scouts took 3 days to do this trip. I really wanted to join them for all 3 days, but opted to spend my friday with my family instead. However, I didn't want to miss out on such a cool trip, so I decided I would leave Friday after work, and catch up to them. There were a few ways to do this (some options were much shorter and easier), but I wanted to see everything they saw, so I followed their exact trail. I convinced a co-worker of mine to come with, and he and I embarked on this trip as soon as we could.

A bit about my co-worker. Jimmy Graves is his name, and he is an avid outdoorsman. Many of our conversations involve hiking, or backpacking, and we both enjoy talking about and using new gear. As I was telling him about this trip, he too had been looking to scout out the exact same area, so when he offered to come with me, I was thrilled. I needed a hiking partner, and who better to have with you than a fellow gearhead and friend! Jimmy is in super good shape, and I knew we would be able to make good time. It was nice to be backpacking with Jimmy.

The first leg of the trail was from Pass Lake TH to Cuberant Lake. This section is about 2.5 - 3 miles (depending on which lake you camp at). The hike to Cuberant lake is very scenic. I loved the views from Reid's Meadow. Bald Mountain and Reids Peak are very prominent and stand out majestically! You get even better views of those two peaks as you ascend up toward the lake. for a moment you escape the veil of pine trees, only to witness Bald and Reids peak surrounded by their evergreen carpet. Beautiful!

It took Jimmy and I about one hour to make it to Cuberant Lake. I don't remember the last time I hiked at a 3 MPH pace, but we for sure made good time. 90 minutes later we would find ourselves coming down Mount Marsell and walking into camp! In, under 3 hours we hiked the 4 miles necessary to meet up with the scouts, and gained about 2k feet in elevation. It was a good evening exercise!

Camp at Kamas Lake was very nice. The scouts found a decent area in a dry lake bed. Once we rolled into camp, Jimmy and I just had to set up camp and cook up evening desert. It was nice to be at camp. It was fun to see all the boys and tell them how proud I was of them for doing what they did. The hike up Mount Marsell is NOT easy. I was thrilled that all of them made the climb! Even more proud that they did it with backpacks on!

The next day we finished the trip. Once camp was picked up, we took up our packs and trekked onward to Lofty Lake. Lofty lake is part of a popular loop hike and we saw lots of day hikers and backpackers on this trail. It is very pretty, and I can't say I blame everyone for wanting to see what you see on this trail.

We stopped at Lofty for a while and went fishing and swimming. We all got skunked when it came to fishing, but the 3 of us who went swimming had a fun time. Just something special about swimming in ice cold mountain lakes.

All to soon, we were all on our way back down to the cars. The only redeeming factor for the reality of hiking home, was that the views getting down to the TH were amazing! If we were going to have to finish this trip, this was a good way to do it. From the top of the Lofty Lake trail, you can see Scout Lake and Hayden Peak dominating the mountain scene. It was beautiful to behold.

All in all the trip was wonderful. I love seeing the boys get out on trips like this, but mostly I just love getting out and seeing beautiful places like this! I am very grateful I am friends with people who do these kind of things! Huge shout out to Scoutmaster Josh for always being willing to go where I tell him to go (haha) and to the scouts dads who made it possible for the scouts to do a 3 day trip instead of a 2 day'er. And special thanks to my friend Jimmy, for taking time out of his weekend to be my hiking partner.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

What was the descent like from Marsell down to Kamas like? A few years ago I wanted to do this exact loop, but the maps and Google Earth made it look too steep, so I never did. I'm glad to hear that it is doable. Would it have been any easier going
up the Kamas Lake side and descending on the Cuberant side? Thanks Blake!

Last edited:
What was the descent like from Marsell down to Kamas like? A few years ago I wanted to do this exact loop, but the maps and Google Earth made it look to steep, so I never did. I'm glad to hear that it is doable. Would it have been any easier going
up the Kamas Lake side and descending on the Cuberant side? Thanks Blake!

Going up the Cuberant side was easy. Probably a bit longer than the Kamas side, but not difficult at all. Going down was a bit more tricky, but only cuz there are steeper cliffs that you can run into. We didn't seem to have any issues though.

So to answer your question, either side is probably about the same. Route finding your way up the the Kamas Lake side will be a bit more difficult, but not by much.

Awesome looking trip and nice time lapse. Looks like a really beautiful area. Your scouts are lucky dudes to go on trips like this. All the Boy Scouts do out here, it seems, is sell popcorn outside of Stop & Shop every weekend.

Awesome looking trip and nice time lapse. Looks like a really beautiful area. Your scouts are lucky dudes to go on trips like this. All the Boy Scouts do out here, it seems, is sell popcorn outside of Stop & Shop every weekend.
haha! poor scouts, having to sell popcorn all the time.

I think my scouts are super spoiled. But really, I think i have just found a excuse to have the scouts pay for my adventures ;) shhhhhh don't tell anyone lol

Great report!. I've done the loop several times but never climbed Mount Marsell. I'll definitely have to do that after reading your report.

I went back and climbed Mount Marsell from Cuberant Lake. This was Awesome!. There is nothing better than the view from the top of a mountain like that. Even had some mountain goats to watch that even added more to the experience. Thanks for this report Blake. I probably would of never done this without it. I definitely will go back one day with my sons.

Resurrecting an old thread; over on summitpost, they claim that the trail to Cuberant is a lot easier to find on a map than on the ground, and that a lot of route-finding across a very sketchy trail might be required.

Of course, they also caveat that with the fact that their experience may be out-dated. What's the trail itself like? Is it easy to find and follow, or is some route-finding and potential bushwhacking involved in getting into the Cuberant Lake area?

Resurrecting an old thread; over on summitpost, they claim that the trail to Cuberant is a lot easier to find on a map than on the ground, and that a lot of route-finding across a very sketchy trail might be required.

Of course, they also caveat that with the fact that their experience may be out-dated. What's the trail itself like? Is it easy to find and follow, or is some route-finding and potential bushwhacking involved in getting into the Cuberant Lake area?

Not my thread but I'll step in... the trail to Cuberant is very easy to follow. It narrows down to a single track on the last stretch, but it's not anything to be concerned about following, especially by Uintas standards.

As an aside, the one time I went up toward Marsell, I ran into a cornice on the ridge. When I saw the GPS track on this report going down that side toward Kamas Lake, it reminded me of what a freaky thing it was standing on the snowfield wondering how far out it extended over the void.

_MG_1379.jpg

I went back and climbed Mount Marsell from Cuberant Lake. This was Awesome!. There is nothing better than the view from the top of a mountain like that. Even had some mountain goats to watch that even added more to the experience. Thanks for this report Blake. I probably would of never done this without it. I definitely will go back one day with my sons.

That is awesome! So glad the TR help inspire the trip. Glad to hear that you had such a good exprience. This trip was a summer highlight for sure :)

the trail to Cuberant is very easy to follow. It narrows down to a single track on the last stretch, but it's not anything to be concerned about following, especially by Uintas standards.
Ditto. I cruised on this trail! We hiked to Cuberent in about an hour, and it took another to get over the Mount Marsell. I think in 3 hours we had done all that and landed at the scout camp near Kamas Lake.

haha! So if you caught up to them in 3 hours, what had they been doing for the last day?