Coyote Gulch Route?

powderglut

In search of Fresh
I last visited this canyon in the late 70's. We hiked in the traditional route from Hurricane Wash. Visited Stevens Arch and then returned all the way back the same way. If I remember right, we camped in there 4-5 nights and had it all to ourselves.
I plan on doing a 2 nighter this spring. (could do 3 nts. end of April) with a fairly inexperienced backpacking crew.. I'm thinking of dropping in from Crack in the wall and returning that way. Figure we can maximize the "best of the canyon" for our 2-3 nights. Some of the other steep routes into or out of the canyon, look a little sketchy for some people's ability.
Anyone got an opinion on access to this beautiful gem?

I think the only sketchy ways in are the ones on each side of the canyon at Lobo Arch. We did a nice loop starting from the water tank and coming out at crack. We had two volunteers run a vehicle between the two trailheads cutting off 2+ miles. A good loop option, esp if you don't have two shuttle vehicles. The hike in the way we went was not sketchy at all. We just followed Chimney Rock in the distance. In retrospect, it would have been easier if we had made a point to stay out of the prominent drainage on our left as we approached Hurricane Wash.

Trip report and map here:
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/coyote-gulch-loop.65/

If you have two good shuttle vehicles, I would consider going in from Chimney Rock and out at Crack. I hear good things about the Chimney Rock route but it would certainly require two vehicles to make a loop out of it.

I can see doing the shuttles. We will definitely have a couple of vehicles to use.
Is this route from the water tank towards chimney rock a shorter, superior, route than the traditional start thru Hurricane Wash? I suppose walking slickrock would probably be quite a bit faster than a sandy wash. This route surely would give you the full experience of the canyon. My original thought was to drop in from the crack. Set up camp a mile or two up Coyote, and then day hike both directions. Then hike back up thru the crack. Decisions!!

Curious what others think, but I would much rather do this type of loop going UP the canyon. I've done CG both ways, and I personally find the views better going up canyon with the water flowing toward me. I also think it's easier to get down the Crack in the Wall and sand slide -- especially with a big pack. The downside to this method for me would be fighting brush is always harder going upstream and the end might seem a little anti-climatic.

- Jamal

Also... in my opinion there is nothing wrong with NOT doing a loop, especially if you are with some inexperienced people. If you drop in at the crack you could go up a ways and set up a base camp. You could then spend the rest of that day (or the next) going up the canyon to Lobo Arch (or maybe Sleepy Hollow) and then back. The next day you could go to the overlook of Stevens Arch and descend to the Escalante. Maybe then climb up into the arch or even explore the lower part of Steven's Canyon. The last day you could exit with less food in your pack. If it's warm, you could even cache some water near the rim on your way in so you don't have to climb the sand with it going out.

BTW -- don't expect to have it to yourself ever again (at least not in the spring!) :)

- JG

My favorite route is in at the water tank and out a the crack using a shuttle, I would like to try reversing the route by heading in at crack and out at water tank. If you go in at water tank, you will be sand slogging for the first couple miles. The section of desert from the crack back to the lot for some reason drives me crazy. Probably because I am trying to get to the cooler of beer sitting in the shuttle car and I can see it from at least a mile out.

The crack in the wall is not a challenge as long as you have some paracord or rope for your pack. Climbing the sandune on the other hand is nasty.

Also... in my opinion there is nothing wrong with NOT doing a loop, especially if you are with some inexperienced people. If you drop in at the crack you could go up a ways and set up a base camp. You could then spend the rest of that day (or the next) going up the canyon to Lobo Arch (or maybe Sleepy Hollow) and then back. The next day you could go to the overlook of Stevens Arch and descend to the Escalante. Maybe then climb up into the arch or even explore the lower part of Steven's Canyon. The last day you could exit with less food in your pack. If it's warm, you could even cache some water near the rim on your way in so you don't have to climb the sand with it going out.

BTW -- don't expect to have it to yourself ever again (at least not in the spring!) :)

- JG
This was my initial thought on doing this trip. Pretty much the way you've outlined it. This would give the crew the meat and potatoes of this place. 1 base camp, and mostly "day pack" hikes to explore. Would probably be easiest for the people worried about carrying backpacks. This is not exactly a spring chicken crew.
I will say.. (way back when) when I walked in from the dry wash of Hurricane and finally started walking in the water of the Coyote, it just was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Getting into this lush canyon from the desert was quite a surprise. It just got more beautiful as we headed down stream. I think that's part of the lure of starting from the top and seeing each next thing. I kinda wanted them to see it this way.
So...I will have a short rope for pulling packs. And as far as having it to ourselves... I know that won't happen. But.. this is going to make a few people's dream wish come true. That will give me a big smile!!
I'm still open to anyones opinion on this. Thanks, I appreciate all comments so far.

There is a great basecamp location at the mouth of Coyote Gulch at the point the trail heads up the dune. Last trip down I saw a church group from Oregon there.

From that location you could day trip up Coyote Gulch and see most of the sights, as well as have easy access to the river for other cool stuff. As I understand it there are a couple other canyons in that area that are worth visiting.

When Miss Buffalo and I went last year, we went in and out at the Crack. Going down was awesome, but on the return climbing 1,000 feet almost exclusively in deep sand really sucked. Especially in the 90+ degree heat with a big pack. I would not recommend exiting there for beginner backpackers. It sounds to me like the easiest way would be in and out at Chimney Rock, but the nice thing about Coyote Gulch is how many options you have available to you. Whatever you choose, have fun!

I'll be posting a trip report from my visit to Coyote Gulch shortly and will expand my thoughts on this, but I'd agree the experience would be better starting at the top and moving downstream. I went I at the crack and pioneered my own way out of Hurricane Wash to form a roughly 25-mile loop. I'd parked at 40 Mile Ridge and the slog out was not at all fun. It would certainly demoralize beginners.

If you're going in at the crack with newbs, I'd take them out the same way. If you can do the sand dune climb early (before full sun) or at twilight, it would probably mitigate the drudgery.

getting in via the Crack is awesome, especially with the wonderful views of Stevens Arch in the distance.
Getting down the sand dune is no big deal, but I would never exit that same route again. Climbing up the dune, even very earling in the morning, was one of the worst things ever I've experienced.
Next time I definitely choose The Hamblin Arch exit.

Next time I definitely choose The Hamblin Arch exit.

I'd take serious pause before instructing a group of inexperienced backpackers to take the Hamblin route, as powderglut already indicated that's probably beyond their level. So really the choice are climbing back out Crack in the Wall or going up Hurricane Wash.

I'd take serious pause before instructing a group of inexperienced backpackers to take the Hamblin route

I agree. We didn't have any problems when we did it...but it could certainly go bad fast. One slip could be catastrophic. Both of our backpacks were pretty well decimated from pulling them up the Hamblin route.

On the plus side, we got to get new packs!

I'd take serious pause before instructing a group of inexperienced backpackers to take the Hamblin route, as powderglut already indicated that's probably beyond their level. So really the choice are climbing back out Crack in the Wall or going up Hurricane Wash.

with having these two choices I would definitely going up Hurricane Wash.
Going up the sand dune at the crack is so exhausting, not sure if a beginner will be really happy with the idea of climbing up a 1000 ft. dune.
I would not recommend it.

Not sure if it's only me, but I had really big issues with my knees getting up that hill and regretted the decision to do so with every step.

Not sure if it's only me, but I had really big issues with my knees getting up that hill and regretted the decision to do so with every step.

That scares me...I'm planning on exiting back out the crack in a couple of weeks. I've descended it before, but I can't remember what I thought about it.

I loved climbing the 1000 foot sand dune! Just do it in the morning and it feels great! :)

we did it early in the morning, Nick. :(It didn't help.

Aldaron

eventually you like it exiting out the crack. I guess it's just me with the horrible experiences. It seems I have a sand problem and seriously prefer a more sketchier route instead of climbing out a 1000ft sand dune. So I guess my experiences can't be used to rate a route like that in general and definitely should not be used to scare you off.

I loved climbing the 1000 foot sand dune! Just do it in the morning and it feels great! :)

That's what we did. Wasn't so bad.
Pushing my dog up that sketchy ladder was the worst part, but they probably don't allow dogs anymore.

I am pretty positive we will not do the Hamblin route with this crew. Actually, very positive.
The end of April should give us fairly comfortable temps for a climb out. I'm thinking.. the 2 or 3 of our group that will likely have more of a struggle with the big climb, will get their packs lightened by the stronger climbers. All of our Steamboat crew are backcountry skiers, and know how to put their heads down and get after it. Our out of town guests we really aren't sure. Oh well!! You know the rule, you are only as strong as your weakest member. I'm feeling more like the Crack (both ways) is the way to go. (Talk me out of it??)
I am really excited to go back, and see this place I first saw 35 years ago. I actually was hoping I could find a spot we camped at, that had a wall seep and a formation that looked like T-rex against the night sky. Anyone??? We had none of this beta, when we first went down there. Some pictures in a book and topo maps. Today's technology is awesome.
I truly appreciate all the input. It is pretty cool to see that so many of you found your way into exploring this amazing canyon. Who wouldn't want to see this place?

powderglut - per your request in the other Coyote thread...

This is looking down from the top of the dune. It just goes down gradually to the left side of that fin in the middle. Really not very hard unless it's really hot out. Maybe it was because I'd heard bad things, but I thoroughly enjoyed it on an average late-May morning. You can see my friend in the lower corner for scale.
5077422380_db35ef6053_b.jpg