Coyote Gulch Route?

Nick, if you ever go earlier than I will go, I'm more than anxious to hear what you think about it. Same thing about me. I'll post my thoughts about it later this year. Unfortunately I have to wait until early October.
I'm still not sure what to think about it yet, but many hikes with a lot of exposure and sketchy parts were a no go for me in earlier years but are no okay to do.
Worst case when I do not trust my skills enough I have to pick another route with some extra miles. I always have that in mind, too.

Hey, I know this is an old thread....but I am looking at a trip into the gulch in Nov and have read all of these posts with great interest. however, I notice that no one mentioned using a rope at the Hamblin exit. I would like to drop in at the crack and exit at hamblin, but I just do not do anything above a 5.0 without a rope. Afterall , that is the definition of a 5.0 or higher route isn't it? So has anyone tried or heard of fixing a rope at the Hamblin exit, with a laminated "don't remove my rope but you can use it if you want" note and then exiting with the help of a Jumar? I think I could even keep my pack on were I to be clipped into a Jumar and a cowtail quickdraw. Or perpaps go up with a figure 8 and get a fireman belay from below for the first guy and top belay for the next? A 50 meter rope should be fine there? It would seem that the only drawback is leaving the rope in place for a day or two but with one of those notes I think it would be OK? I think the worst that would happen is someone using it to haul their packs up and that would be lame.

Only two of us will be there with no xtra vehicle so I am thinking the chimney or Hurricane wash routes seem a bit far for a loop with lots of open desert hiking. hiking out a 1000 foot dune noes not sound fun and Nick is the only one I know that seems to have enjoyed it.

I'm not sure I can get anyone to look this deep into an old thread, but if I can I would appreciate your input.

Hey, I know this is an old thread....but I am looking at a trip into the gulch in Nov and have read all of these posts with great interest. however, I notice that no one mentioned using a rope at the Hamblin exit. I would like to drop in at the crack and exit at hamblin, but I just do not do anything above a 5.0 without a rope. Afterall , that is the definition of a 5.0 or higher route isn't it? So has anyone tried or heard of fixing a rope at the Hamblin exit, with a laminated "don't remove my rope but you can use it if you want" note and then exiting with the help of a Jumar? I think I could even keep my pack on were I to be clipped into a Jumar and a cowtail quickdraw. Or perpaps go up with a figure 8 and get a fireman belay from below for the first guy and top belay for the next? A 50 meter rope should be fine there? It would seem that the only drawback is leaving the rope in place for a day or two but with one of those notes I think it would be OK? I think the worst that would happen is someone using it to haul their packs up and that would be lame.

Only two of us will be there with no xtra vehicle so I am thinking the chimney or Hurricane wash routes seem a bit far for a loop with lots of open desert hiking. hiking out a 1000 foot dune noes not sound fun and Nick is the only one I know that seems to have enjoyed it.

I'm not sure I can get anyone to look this deep into an old thread, but if I can I would appreciate your input.
@Duke we dropped in from the Crack, set up a base camp in Coyote for 3 nts, and hiked up and down Coyote and the Escalante. We then climbed out the sand route up to the Crack and returned to the car. It really wasn't bad at all. Late April. Got an early start up to the Crack. You'll have to get info from others on the Hamblin route with ropes.
Good luck!!

As another dude who hasn't done the Hamblin route, here's my .02.

I've heard that there have been fixed ropes left there in the past. Not sure what length would be needed or what kind of anchors are available. Personally, I wouldn't use a climbing rope for the task - at least not one that you planned to climb on after the trip. I just wouldn't trust it as a climbing rope afterwards due to the mystery of what might get done to it while you're gone. And from the look of it, it sounds like you could almost use it as a handline and even better with gear like you mentioned. If it were me, a retired climbing rope would be just the trick.

Anyway, that's not really helpful but thought I'd chime in. And see, I'm not the only one who didn't mind the slog out at crack! :) I'd do it again tomorrow if I could!

Oh, and if you haven't watched the video from @wes242 of his descent at Hamblin, you should. It's in this TR:

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/first-time-to-coyote-gulch.302/

As another dude who hasn't done the Hamblin route, here's my .02.

I've heard that there have been fixed ropes left there in the past. Not sure what length would be needed or what kind of anchors are available. Personally, I wouldn't use a climbing rope for the task - at least not one that you planned to climb on after the trip. I just wouldn't trust it as a climbing rope afterwards due to the mystery of what might get done to it while you're gone. And from the look of it, it sounds like you could almost use it as a handline and even better with gear like you mentioned. If it were me, a retired climbing rope would be just the trick.

I wouldn't use a climbing rope. I have an older static rope that I would use, but it is still not one that I want to lose.

Dynamic or static, I still wouldn't rap on it afterwards. That's all.

Ah, I'm a bit slow I guess. Now I get it. Good point. Hmmmmmmm.......down and back through the crack is sounding better and better.

It's a pretty long climb. I had a 50 foot rope that I used to pull up packs and for my wife to tie up to, and I think I did 4 or 5 pitches. Of course, we didn't use the whole 50 feet on each pitch, but I would still guess that you would need at least 200 feet of rope.

I don't think anyone would steal the rope, and I'm guessing you could find something to tie off to, if you had a long enough rope.

Here's my trip report:

http://www.edarnell.com/Trails/page176.html

The group I did this with, are not your hardcore backpackers, (at least not anymore). Age. Finding a good base camp with a good water source (wall seep so we didn't have to filter the water) was my main goal. I knew they would all be a lot happier doing hikes up and down the canyons with day packs, instead of moving each day with full packs. Besides.... looking for the next quality camp spot as the canyon gained a small populace, would become tougher each day for our 7 person crew.
Having a reliable water source near camp was excellent (I know.... the Coyote is right in front of your face), but...we did not have to filter this water . Not a bad move to take an empty half gallon milk container or some type of collapsible water sack for camp water. Doing day hikes with light day packs and returning to an already set up camp was awesome.
The distance to Coyote from the Crack route, is by far the closest. Compared to Hurricane and Red Well. I really couldn't consider the Hamblin route for fear of mutiny. Lowering and pulling packs at the Crack will save a lot of time. Bring some rope. An early start up the sand slog is key. We had a 70 deg day so no problemo. If you only have 1 vehicle and leave it at the Crack and return via Hamblin, you will still have an exposed sand slog to get the car although not an uphill climb. So keep that in mind.

I found the Crack in the Wall route to be awesome (trip report coming soon to a backcountrypost near you)! Great views and all around awesome! Yeah it's uphill, but just take it slower. It was late in the day as well, beginner group.
We didn't use rope to lift packs, just passed 'em along. I thought there were too many rope grooves for a place that people don't even rappel. /:

Hey folks: I am thinking a backpack trip through Coyote in October. Read a lot of your trips, thanks. Excellent pictures and reports.
What is the time and distance dropping in from the Crack and climbing out Hamblin and walking the road back to the crack? Could this be a long day trip?
Some recommend entering from Red Well, seems a bit long if the best is near the Escalante confluence. Plus need a second vehicle.
What length rope needed for lowering the pack?
Route finding to the crack, Hamblins route? I do not have a GPS, map and compass good enough?
Might be more questions soon.

Thanks

I would guess that it's around 8-10 hours total going from Forty Mile and up Jacob Hamblin...it could probably be done as a dayhike, but don't forget that the days are getting shorter. And it's so nice down there...it'd be a shame to rush it :)

To lower the pack at the Crack and to pull my pack at Jacob Hamblin, I took 50' of rope. But remember that I completely decimated my pack pulling it up the slickrock, and I'm not sure I have a good solution for that, other than to put it inside a duffel bag or something. It was too steep for me to feel comfortable soloing up it with a full pack on. Maybe a day pack wouldn't be as bad if you're an experienced climber.

You can't mess up the hike from the Crack to JH. Once you reach the Crack, go down. When you get to the bottom, turn left. When you reach JH, turn left and climb. But getting to the Crack from the trailhead can be a little tricky, and getting from the top above JH to the Tank can be a little tricky. I don't know, I used a GPS (or my phone) to find my points, but there's a trail for most of the way from the trailhead, and once you get on the slickrock, I remember there being cairns to the Crack. And from JH to the water tank there were also cairns. In both places, I recall that the cairns were pretty sparse, though, so I definitely wouldn't do it in the dark (you don't want to fall off the canyon wall!), and just keep a sharp lookout for the next cairn.

I don't know if that was helpful or not. I just hiked it again this spring, but I swear I can't remember much!

Here's my more recent trip:

http://www.edarnell.com/Trails/page238.html

Thanks Aldaron. Nice report, I also read your other one. I figured it was worth spending a few days down there, just want to know my options. Might also be best to hike in on Sunday out on Mon or Tues due to crowds. I'm good with a map, compass and cairns. Hopefully that s all I will need.
How far from JH trailhead to the Crack trailhead.

Once we climbed back to the top of the canyon at JH, I want to say it was about an hour and a half back to the car. I dropped my pack at the tank and got the car and came back for my pack (and my wife :) ).