Continental Divide Trail Thru Hike 2018 - 31 Episode Video Series

The Wind River video had some outstanding shots and video. Great job. It takes work to get good shots while hiking over tough terrain.

I was curious what month you were in the Winds. I was there in July and mosquitoes were unbearable.

Oh my gosh! You got called out by Dixie (to make a video of your luxury items)!!
I imagine you are going to get more people checking out your channel! Yay!

I have tried to figure out why I anxiously await the release of your videos. And why I have been held by the grandeur the entire way. I have seen a fair amount of reports and video from the Winds but yours seemed to almost overwhelm the senses! Maybe it is because it was part of a series that I am now invested in. Maybe it is something as simple as the contrast settings of your videos. Maybe it is because you have done something that I seldom see in these multi day projects......give wildflowers their place to shine amongst the grand view. You aren't just hiking the CDT you're capturing what you saw, experienced and felt. I just wanted to give you an attaboy. Needless to say I look forward to your Glacier NP sections.

I just watched the final Episode 31. Well done! I'm sorry that your adventure had to end.
I can't wait for the Encore!
Wayne

Congratulations on finishing the cdt! What a sweet accomplishment. I just finished watching all 31 videos. Bummer about the weather in glacier. Your videos were incredible! I so enjoyed the scenery, commentary, and details you put into the videos. What an experience! My favorite was episode 20 through the wind river range. That route was quite spectacular. I also loved episode 22 through the Teton crest. Episodes 13 and 14 in Colorado with those fourteeners were also beautiful. Well done! I usually have a short attention span with hiking videos but very much enjoyed your detailed description and beautiful images of the cdt. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Wow @metalbackpacker I just finished watching the final three episodes yesterday. What a supreme accomplishment. I have to admit to feeling a bit of the emotions you felt on those last two days. I can only imagine how overwhelming and ecstatic it must have been.

The videos were great. Being an amateur back country videographer I really appreciate how much care, effort and time you put into them. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My fav was the last one. You expressed some understandable concern about getting back into regular everyday life. Looking forward to more videos.

Last edited:
You rock!
Not exactly long. An extension of our CDT.
Go back to Glacier NP. Start at East Glacier since you couldn't really hike that last section in 2018.
Continue into Canada on the Great Divide Trail.
All the best!
Wayne

HH
Tuktoyaktuk

So I Google “The backside of nowhere?”
Google replies, “The backside of nowhere is the last stop before Tuktoyaktuk.”
I always figured that the Cirque of the Unclimbables was far enough back in the woods for me.
Thanks for adding to my Geographic
Knowledge.
Wayne

when do you leave?
Not to hijack this thread, but I go back to Colorado in May to get my Tiger and fix a few things (dead battery type stuff), then I'll slowly work my way north, trying once again. :)

And @Venchka at least you can drive to Tuk, but not to the Cirque.

Reactions: Ben
Hey @metalbackpacker .... I just read this on your website...

"Another thing that has me worried is my lack of appetite when hiking. This has been a huge problem for me in recent years. Often times, the more I demand of my body the less appetite I have. Not only am I not hungry when I clearly should be, but food often tastes bland and things I normally like make me gag. Not being able to replenish calories makes it very tough to cover the daily miles needed to complete the trail. I’m hoping that I will “develop” an appetite after a few weeks. "

My brother and I both suffer from this exact same thing on long, multi-day trips. Its nice to know we're not alone. What was your experience with this on the CDT?

You rock!
Not exactly long. An extension of our CDT.
Go back to Glacier NP. Start at East Glacier since you couldn't really hike that last section in 2018.
Continue into Canada on the Great Divide Trail.
All the best!
Wayne

I was thinking of that too, depending on what I commit to this summer job/life wise. But no matter what I definitely want to get back out to Glacier and hike the Highline Trail properly. And now you have me looking at the cirque of the unclimbables too :)

Hey @metalbackpacker .... I just read this on your website...

"Another thing that has me worried is my lack of appetite when hiking. This has been a huge problem for me in recent years. Often times, the more I demand of my body the less appetite I have. Not only am I not hungry when I clearly should be, but food often tastes bland and things I normally like make me gag. Not being able to replenish calories makes it very tough to cover the daily miles needed to complete the trail. I’m hoping that I will “develop” an appetite after a few weeks. "

My brother and I both suffer from this exact same thing on long, multi-day trips. Its nice to know we're not alone. What was your experience with this on the CDT?

Actually, I had no issues from day 1. I couldn't believe it. I live around 500ft above sea level, so I wanted to blame past appetite issues on rapid ascents to high elevation when I travel to these locations. I have had issues at lower elevations too, so I can't completely attribute it to that, but I do think I feel it more at altitude.. Loss of appetite is one of the symptoms of altitude sickness, so it makes sense, I just think it's the one symptom I feel most. I was still expecting to have little appetite in the beginning, especially in the heat, but my appetite remained normal. I was really thankful for that. Still lost 17 pounds by Pie Town though, I think mostly because I didn't carry enough food out of Doc Campbells for such a long stretch. Weight stabilized after Pie Town and ended the hike down about 17 pounds.

Very interesting. Now that you mention altitude I wonder if that is a contributor as all my longer trips were at 10k ft plus. I live at 5k ft so not as dramatic a change but I still wonder. I do suffer some at altitude having the headache and even mild nausea. I also suffer with periodic breathing at night which was my biggest concern. Interrupted sleep all night long is not conducive to a pleasant trip. Because of this I have taken Diamox on recent long trips and it has been a godsend. I have not experienced the my usual symptoms at all but still makes me wonder about altitude and loss of appetite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad the Diamox has brought you relief. Just to clarify, the Diamox took care of all your symptoms except the loss of appetite, or including it? I would be interested to know for future hikes myself. Anything to add to the ol' tool kit!