Complaint(s)

I have nothing to add except that I support generalized grumpiness.
It’s not grumpiness dag nabbit..what in tarnation??? It’s one of th worse cases of nostalgia I have ever seen….to th brewpubs! We need to quaff down a brew to see us thru! Or, grab a couple of growlers n head to th mountains and remember back in those thrilling days of yesteryear,

when th mountains:

-had a greater density of oxygen enabling one to breathe easier and hike much farther?

-had trails that weren’t as steep as they are today( may be due to erosion???)?

-had trails that the distances were shorter between point a and b…they’ve stretched out due to age methinks?

-had trails where th gravity was less and hadn’t increased like today?

Let’s face it, Nostalgia is here to stay….unless th above changes back to how it used to be and then we wouldn’t need nostalgia! Let that sink in y’all…

Til next time,Happy Trails to y’all.

I try to take the approach that the more people that are enjoying the outdoors, the better, as long as they are doing responsibility (no/low impact, not hogging space, etc.). We need more fans of outdoor spaces. I can always get away from people if I want to.

One potential concern I've got with the whole E-bike thing is how there is the bills coming forward that are wanting to allow mountain bikes in some wilderness areas. As of now, many wilderness areas are a great way to get past the crowds. If they pass this mountain biking bill, I wonder if E-bikes would be included. If E-bikes would be allowed, I imagine we could see a lot more E-bikes and people on the trails. I don't know maybe I'm looking at it wrong just because I'm a 'Hiker'.

there was a bunch of work done on the (long neglected and completely ad hoc) trail system above my house and, while I did not agree with some choices they made, a very positive thing was starting to segregate bike and foot trails, and clearly marking all of this. it remains to be seen if people will listen (I've already seen plenty of bike tracks on the pedestrian-only trails) but it's a start.

but anyway, it seems to me (as a non-ebike rider) that these permit speeds that make them much more like mopeds and such, than bikes, in terms of the danger they pose. I'd love to see them lumped in with powered vehicles, not with true bicycles, for purposes of trail/sidewalk rules

What you are feeling is probably normal Hugh.

I imagine Great-Grandad McScat probably thought the same thing when he kept getting past by those automobiles whilst he was riding to the saloon on his horse. As previously mentioned its all in the name of progress. Definitely good progress for some, but for people set in their ways like you and me it can be somewhat uncomfortable.

I know you would not have any experience with this but I feel the same way about cell phones. I have a smart phone for work, but most of the time I still use a flip phone. . . to make phone calls. When I see people out at dinner, at their jobs, or even driving there is always someone looking at their phone. I have the urge to grab those phones, throw them, and tell people to take in the world around them. I know they are a useful tool in so many ways, but I am very glad I grew up in a time when cell phones, computers, and cameras everywhere were not major factors in life. I believe it is one of the reasons I grew to appreciate all the subtleties of nature and my place within it. Its probably also the reason I was not in jail for mischief and shenanigans at a tender age, but those are stories for another thread. ;)

What you are feeling is probably normal Hugh.

I imagine Great-Grandad McScat probably thought the same thing when he kept getting past by those automobiles whilst he was riding to the saloon on his horse. As previously mentioned its all in the name of progress. Definitely good progress for some, but for people set in their ways like you and me it can be somewhat uncomfortable.

I know you would not have any experience with this but I feel the same way about cell phones. I have a smart phone for work, but most of the time I still use a flip phone. . . to make phone calls. When I see people out at dinner, at their jobs, or even driving there is always someone looking at their phone. I have the urge to grab those phones, throw them, and tell people to take in the world around them. I know they are a useful tool in so many ways, but I am very glad I grew up in a time when cell phones, computers, and cameras everywhere were not major factors in life. I believe it is one of the reasons I grew to appreciate all the subtleties of nature and my place within it. Its probably also the reason I was not in jail for mischief and shenanigans at a tender age, but those are stories for another thread. ;)

You've got everything right except my Great-Grandad McScat road a draft mule to the local watering hole. :)

Draft_Mule.jpg

Now neither of yew fellers better be usin one of those gps thingys! I had better see a compass n big ole paper map other than thoseI’m packin

Now neither of yew fellers better be usin one of those gps thingys! I had better see a compass n big ole paper map other than thoseI’m packin

I'm bringing a compass the size of a grandfather clock. We can tie it to your pack, and if you'll walk in front of me along the way, I can bark out directions - little to the left, little to the right, straight ahead. :D

I feel ya Hugh! I don't think there is anything wrong in feeling what you feel about the ebikes. It's like so many other things though, you'll just see more and more until you stop being bothered by them, and then something else crazy will come around to take it's place... I had one of these mini bikes (see below) try to pass me on the Adams Canyon trail a couple of weeks ago. On a steep downhill narrow trail section with my puppy trying to drag me down at the same time. While idling behind me he politely said "excuse me"... I turned around and told him "I'm not going to crawl into the scrub brush with my dog just to let you by, you'll just have to wait for a wider section".
I have always tried to have a "To each their own" mentality... but that pissed me off to no end! If I start seeing those on all the trails, I'm going to take up knitting! :lol:

Attachments

• MTMiniBike49cc_Black_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    MTMiniBike49cc_Black_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 5
I'm bringing a compass the size of a grandfather clock. We can tie it to your pack, and if you'll walk in front of me along the way, I can bark out directions - little to the left, little to the right, straight ahead. :D
I will buy you a pair of cheater glasses so ya can see a normal sized compass , that way with that giant compass of yours left at home, I can carry th steaks to grill at th campsite..don’t worry..won’t be on of those ELECTRIC grill! Wonder I should pack a steak or two hundred or so for th Grizzlies?

I will buy you a pair of cheater glasses so ya can see a normal sized compass , that way with that giant compass of yours left at home, I can carry th steaks to grill at th campsite..don’t worry..won’t be on of those ELECTRIC grill! Wonder I should pack a steak or two hundred or so for th Grizzlies?

Bacon grease is the key in Grizzly Country. :)