Clearwater - Bowdie - Fable Valley - Gypsum - Easter Pasture -8 Day Backpack/Packraft Loop

Fantastic! How do you like those Klymit Dingies? I see so much mixed reviews on them. Can't beat the weight of them, but I reckon they're only appropriate for light duty stuff which is just what I've been eyeing one for.

I don't have anything else to compare it to, but I have been happy with mine especially considering the ~$100 price. I'm not a white water paddler either, but for easy water, this is pretty great. The worse thing is finding a comfortable sitting position if you have to actually paddle vs. float with the current.
You might like this trip report that I did last year https://backcountrypost.com/threads/packrafting-the-big-south-fork-ky.7041/

Fantastic! How do you like those Klymit Dingies? I see so much mixed reviews on them. Can't beat the weight of them, but I reckon they're only appropriate for light duty stuff which is just what I've been eyeing one for.

The Klymit was perfect for this kind of trip, but we got lucky both days we were on the water because there was no wind. Like @wsp_scott said, the worst part about them is the sitting position. It forces you to lay so far back that when you paddle, its like doing sit-ups. Compared to an alpacka packraft they feel like pool toys, but they get the job done for river crossing and short distance flat water paddling. If money wasn't an issue, id get an Alpacka Scout for these kinda trips

Swoon.
I've plotted, mapped, dreamed and drooled of a similar trip, but not quite this epic. Well done, this is amazing.

If money wasn't an issue, id get an Alpacka Scout for these kinda trips

My thoughts after reading that: "If I worked for Alpacka Raft I would sponsor you!"
It turns out they do give 2019 sponsorships away, see https://www.alpackaraft.com/rafting/sponsorships/
But a sponsorship comes with strings attached- you may not be crazy about that. ;)

They might also consider you for a "loaner boat" - they do that from time to time for "unique adventures".

Last edited:
For trips like this (flat,slow, shortish,deepish) the Klymit is perfect. I have a Scout and for trips like the above it’s a bit heavy/overkill (ridiculous statement for a 3.5 lb boat you can carry in your backpack) for the amount of walking but worth it for the durability if it’s your only boat and you want to be able to do other stuff. I’ve considered a klymit or supai for this kind of short river sections or glen canyon trips but the extra security in unexpected high winds is enough to just stick with the scout for the time being (though I’m sure I’ll eventually end up with a klymit or something similar for appropriate trips)

Haha that looks like so little food for your trip! I must be a piggy.
I love that little frog! Glad you were able to see it.
You put in a photo that says "can you see it?" And I don't think I can haha, is there an animal??
Thanks for sharing!

Dude, man..what a hard core TR! Really appreciated the pic of your gear. The video and pics were all awesome - looks like an anthropologist's dream that one.
The frog rocks.

Thanks for sharing!

You put in a photo that says "can you see it?" And I don't think I can haha, is there an animal??
Thanks for sharing!

Look across the valley and up to the left of the photo on the cliff face, the left most cave/overhang has a structure in it

Like others have noted, I don't usually have the patience to sit through 17+ minutes of video. With yours, I was glued to my seat and often rewound to take another look at a particular scene. Great job! Very inspiring.

How did you get down into Gypsum from Fable? We descended the huge slope directly into Gypsum from where the Fable Trail heads East to Beef Basin.

Where did you guys descend? Ours was pretty tricky.

How did you get down into Gypsum from Fable? We descended the huge slope directly into Gypsum from where the Fable Trail heads East to Beef Basin.

Where did you guys descend? Ours was pretty tricky.
We went the standard route into Gypsum from the Kelsey Guide. We descended into Gypsum right after the trail passed a "brush fence". It was super steep and loose until we got to the bottom.