Cinemascapes

Whoa! The self-arrest practice in this is sweet, but hang on until the sweet avalanche and the shot of Vajayjay Mountain at the end! Like seriously, is that photoshopped or what?! :roflmao:

I think Whoa! is right. I only saw one belayer self arrest the pair in time to keep both from going over the edge. In all the cases but that one the faller and the belayer are both over the edge to their death. They happened to have a rope anchor set up for the pair for the film shoot which is never there while traveling a glacier. Epic Fail! Rarely do you setup a belay for an observed obstacle like the exposed bridges they kept showing. Usually the fall would be a surprise.

After reading Deep Survival, I was convinced that self-arresting on a glacier was more of a hail mary pass than a reliable way to save your life. That's probably why glaciers scare me now.

Those guys were rocking it, weren't they. :) I slipped on a wicked steep snow slope below Jardine Peak in the Naomi Wilderness once. I was flying down the hill towards the boulders below, completely out of control. The hill was not far from vertical, or so it felt. I'd be way scared to board on it. It was so steep that as we crossed it, I had one trekking pole set super short for my uphill side otherwise my hand would have been at like eye level. Probably a couple hundred feet down the fall and less than 100 feet or so to the boulders, I was able to slam that stubby trekking pole into the snow and self arrest on it. Seriously intense. Almost don't believe it happened when I think back on it!

And all this time I had been thinking Jungles are hot and humid! :D

My buddy just showed me this. Might be hard to watch if you're squeamish, but it has a "good" ending and I didn't think it was too bad.

My buddy just showed me this. Might be hard to watch if you're squeamish, but it has a "good" ending and I didn't think it was too bad.

Holy hell that is insane! I'm just blown away he survived, especially after watching the full speed clip of it at the end. That was an awfully quick ride down. And of all the spots on that wall to hit!? Damn!

Wow.. this is good. There seems to be a lot of people doing time lapse projects out there lately but this guy is particularly good at working that moon shadow and the clouds.

Wow.. this is good. There seems to be a lot of people doing time lapse projects out there lately but this guy is particularly good at working that moon shadow and the clouds.

Good heck those are some of the most amazing time lapse videos.

I love this commercial from The North Face. I personally don't use their gear much, but every time I see this commercial I am stoked to get outside and do some exploring.

Back