Cave Canyon, Grand Canyon west

westy

Having been interested in Cave Canyon for some time, it found its way to the top of the que and off I went. I found myself, quite by accident, at a very nice campsite atop Grand Wash Cliffs overlooking Meadview just beneath Rampart bm. Sometimes not paying the closest of attention to choice of dirt roads works out well. So I tromped around a little, hitting a high point north,

_MG_7870.jpg

and then going up Rampart,

_MG_7879.jpg

before getting a few moon rise shots.

_MG_7883.jpg

_MG_7917.jpg

Next morning I found the dirt I was looking for previously and took a stroll down Cave Canyon for a ways. Very nice.

_MG_7918.jpg

_MG_7923.jpg

_MG_7929.jpg

_MG_7935.jpg

_MG_7940.jpg

_MG_7946.jpg

Once back at the truck I moved over to another very nice camp to watch another sunset and moon rise before shuffling the playlist off to sleep.

_MG_7953.jpg

_MG_7971.jpg

Woke up early the next morning and headed home :( after stopping to enjoy a nice sunrise.

_MG_7981.jpg

"

Last edited:
Having been interested in Cave Canyon for some time, it found its way to the top of the que and off I went. I found myself, quite by accident, at a very nice campsite atop Grand Wash Cliffs overlooking Meadview just beneath Rampart bm. Sometimes not paying the closest of attention to choice of dirt roads works out well. So I tromped around a little, hitting a high point north,

View attachment 86529

and then going up Rampart,

View attachment 86530

before getting a few moon rise shots.

View attachment 86531

View attachment 86532

Next morning I found the dirt I was looking for previously and took a stroll down Cave Canyon for a ways. Very nice.

View attachment 86533

View attachment 86534

View attachment 86535

View attachment 86536

Once back at the truck I moved over to another very nice camp to watch another sunset and moon rise before shuffling the playlist off to sleep.

View attachment 86537

View attachment 86538

Woke up early the next morning and headed home :( after stopping to enjoy a nice sunrise.

View attachment 86539

"

Had never heard of it. Had to consult the map. Looks awesome! Dryfall blockages further downcanyon? In the que....

Had never heard of it. Had to consult the map. Looks awesome! Dryfall blockages further downcanyon? In the que....

I came in off a smaller tributary branch that had some mild brush and easily navigated, terraced falls. Until a couple 100M or so before its confluence with the main canyon - a maybe 30M drop ? I bypassed dcr and found a crack to drop down to steep slopes leading to the canyon floor. After that it was all easy walking that I experienced, just as the high vantage pic shows. Exiting I stayed in the main drainage back towards the truck until jumping the ridge east, and that whole walk was also unhindered. Can't comment on the last 5 miles to the Colorado from where I turned around. Columbine falls is at the mouth, and a spring above that, so I assume brush at least becomes more of an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben
Rampart, Muay, and an unnamed are all at the mouth. Think its ~5-6mi one way from Pearce Ferry. Not sure if any are still accessible, but doubt it. Too bad, Would have been nice to access Rampart, if access ever was legal, not sure. Maybe there's a cave in canyon somewhere ? Didn't see one in the 1/2 I covered.

Reactions: Ben