Can you tell me how to get to labyrinth canyon

o2bav8

Work has been a beast lately and I've been missing my sandstone fix. Managed to get a couple of days off headed to Glen Canyon for a two day kayaking/camping trip. Saved up my REI points and bought some new gear and couldn't wait to test the new sleeping pad & pillow. I've found kayak camping to be a good hybrid of backpacking and car camping as the weight isn't an issue, but space still is.

backcountry-03131.jpg

Labyrinth Canyon had been on my mind and the 14 mile paddle one way from Antelope Point seemed like a good destination. Looked at the route on Google Earth and charged up the batteries on my GPS and headed up into heaven...

backcountry-03133.jpg

backcountry-03151.jpg

Got out of the kayak every now and then to stretch the legs and check out the scenery I was paddling by.

That's where things got a little interesting... as I was paddling along and coming up on one of the junctions I picked up my GPS which I had used a carabiner and strap to attach to the kayak. Well, the carabiner was attached to the back of the battery cover, which apparently came undone and as soon as the GPS was over the walls of the kayak, splash.... my nice GPS sank to the depths of Lake Powell. This threw me into a bit of a panic as I really wasn't positive how to get to labyrinth canyon. After a little thought I realized I could use the GPS on my phone and with a app called "Distance" plot of how much further it was. This was important as I was starting to get into a nasty headwind and the water was getting pretty rough. I had to start thinking about energy management and conserving my resources

backcountry-03187.jpg

backcountry-03192.jpg

backcountry-03207.jpg

At long last, I see the entrance to labyrinth canyon! I was getting exhausted by the time I finally arrived

backcountry-03221.jpg

But the views... were worth it!

Setup camp which was made intesteresting by some gail force winds. It was a miracle the tent didn't blow away. Thankfully the winds calmed down a few hours after sunset

backcountry-03287.jpg

backcountry-03260.jpg

backcountry-03267.jpg

Got up early the next morning for some sunrise photos and to explore the area... labyrinth canyon beckons me to explore its splender

backcountry-03297.jpg

backcountry-03305.jpg

backcountry-03333.jpg

backcountry-03352.jpg
backcountry-03391.jpg backcountry-03411.jpg
backcountry-03420.jpg

The early morning was so calm and the mirror images just captivated me! This was heaven...

backcountry-03450.jpg
backcountry-03440.jpg

Finally reached the end of the lake.... time to do some hiking!

backcountry-03469.jpg

backcountry-03472.jpg

backcountry-03480.jpg
backcountry-03482.jpg

The best part of labyrinth canyon reminded me of Antelope Canyon, without the chaos

backcountry-03590.jpg

After exploring labyrinth canyon it was time to find another campsite closer to Antelope Point for a quick departure back to work and reality

backcountry-03706.jpg

backcountry-03725.jpg

backcountry-03690.jpg
backcountry-03756.jpg

Night two campsite was on Antelope Island and was enjoyed with a few cold beers.

Got up early the next morning and made the 4 and half hour drive back to Phoenix.

Last edited:
Such amazing views! Sorry about your GPS though.
Those are some HEFTY rocks that you used for your tent! Glad you didn't fly away though.

Wow, that sunset, those reflections, and that final tent shot, and just all of your photos. Great stuff. Thanks.

I really like the B&W photo, looks like an awesome trip.

I went back and read this a second time today.
The sunset, the serenity, the reflections. Pretty freakin fantastic!
Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I need a Glen Canyon fix!

Couple of questions...

How far above the reservoir were you able to walk in Labyrinth?

And are those quagga muscles caked on the walls of the slot here? It totally looks like it. That is so sad...

backcountry-03480-jpg.63161

Nick,

The (slot) canyon goes for miles past the current waterline (3612 ft)

Thankfully that is just water debris on the Canyon walls, not quagga muscles.
There were definitely places lower in the canyon though where they were more apparent

Nick,

The (slot) canyon goes for miles past the current waterline (3612 ft)

Thankfully that is just water debris on the Canyon walls, not quagga muscles.
There were definitely places lower in the canyon though where they were more apparent

Phew! Some of the pictures of quagga-covered walls I've seen had me freaked out. I haven't hiked Labyrinth yet for various reasons, but I'm hoping to paddle up it and take a walk later this year. Thanks for the teaser.

Awesome!

Is that a Sea to Summit boat?

As one who is not well informed on such things, I'd call that
a canoe vs a kayak. What's the difference?

The kayak is made by Seaeagle.com

Kayak & canoe are similar... kayak you typically sit in, while at canoe you sit on top of.
There can definitely be a little crossover between the two