Caltopo Has a New Android App.

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
Rejoice! Full details here:

http://caltopo.blogspot.com/2018/12/android-open-beta.html

It's still in beta testing, so I'm sure Matt would appreciate any feedback. I found it to be pretty laggy for a while this evening. But something's better than nothing. If you have a paid-for subscription, you can download different layers for offline use. IOS is supposedly coming within a few months.

Maybe this makes me a nerd, but a caltopo app is by far the best "gift" I could get for Christmas. :D

Played with the beta app for just a few minutes. It will have to end up being pretty good to bump Gaia GPS to 2nd place for me. At this point Gaia is just more full featured and functions better. Will keep an eye on the caltopo app development for sure. Do still really like the caltopo web interface for creating routes and will continue to use it.

For me, the biggest thing is the integration between site and phone. I spent an entire day yesterday copying gpx files to my phone and downloading about 20 gb of topo info to backcountry navigator. The Caltopo app promises to make that so much easier and more seamless. Really looking forward to it.

I frankly don't need or want a ton of features in my GPS app. I mostly just want it to work well and ease the complication of transferring information between fora.

Those are good points. What I didn't see on the caltopo app yet was good in app track recording, which is a lot of what I use Gaia for. My management of tracks and other data us nowhere near as intensive as yours, since I don't do long distance hikes, so it's not a big deal for me.

I have started playing with gaia's web interface, it has some learning curve coming from caltopo and the syncing of tracks is super smooth on the caltopo app, which is great. I'll be fiddling with both side by side for a while.

Caltopo app can record a track. At least in theory... I havent actually tried it out yet to see if it's live.

Rejoice! Full details here:

http://caltopo.blogspot.com/2018/12/android-open-beta.html

It's still in beta testing, so I'm sure Matt would appreciate any feedback. I found it to be pretty laggy for a while this evening. But something's better than nothing. If you have a paid-for subscription, you can download different layers for offline use. IOS is supposedly coming within a few months.

Maybe this makes me a nerd, but a caltopo app is by far the best "gift" I could get for Christmas. :D

I wondered what the heck Matt was doing.

Super excited about the caltoipo app, been waiting for this for years. Could have really used this on the CDT this year. We used the Guthook app mostly for navigation on the CDT, but when you go off trail or do an alternate that's not on Guthook, I had to rely on my garmin GPS. I tried Gaia but was never able to download enough map tiles for it to be worthwhile (free version).

I'm sure over time Matt will make caltopo a serious contender, if not the industry leader, in mapping apps. Caltopo rules!

Super excited about the caltoipo app, been waiting for this for years. Could have really used this on the CDT this year. We used the Guthook app mostly for navigation on the CDT, but when you go off trail or do an alternate that's not on Guthook, I had to rely on my garmin GPS. I tried Gaia but was never able to download enough map tiles for it to be worthwhile (free version).

I'm sure over time Matt will make caltopo a serious contender, if not the industry leader, in mapping apps. Caltopo rules!
Wait you hiked the CDT this year? What dates?

I just downloaded. Only played with it a few minutes, but wasn't able to figure out the offline layers functionality. Hopefully I can get it all figured out and understood. In the mean time, I'm stoked to see where future development on this goes.

Apr 21st - Oct 2nd, trail name Famous... what about you?
Ah yes. Sent you a PM. I started a couple weeks ahead of you but I think we have s buddy or two in common. April 10-sep 4, and my trail name is, unsurprisingly, LarryBoy :)