BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 3 - Mountain Biking the laSal's

Blake Merrell

Life Elevated - Rising Higher

To be honest, I had not idea what this day would bring. Armored with some internet beta, a map, and a desire for adventure, I lead 30, unassuming, people on a blind mountain bike ride. All I knew was that there would be a lot of climbing on this trip. I did know that there would be a lot of uphill sections and I did my best to warn the group beforehand. Still, I think some were cursing my name while they were pushing the bike up the mountain! haha :)

Though some might have been cursing my name for the uphill portions, I think it is impossible to not enjoy the downhill sections! WHAT A BLAST! Some sections are a little rough, and many of us walked those, but, man alive, a lot of that downhill trail was fun.

The total distance we rode was about 8 miles. It was a great workout, and once we got to the top of the 4x4 road, it didn't take long to finish the last 2.5 miles of downhill riding! The trail was a blast, and the views from the area were breathtaking!

This was my first time ever on a real mountain bike trail. I had a great time with the whole trip. Even when I was pushing my bike up a trail, it was just nice to be in the mountains, enjoying the scenery. I even enjoyed the ride along the road. It was 3 miles or so of pure uphill riding. It was great exercise and I was proud of myself for not getting off and pushing my bike. i made the whole ride without walking!

Once we were to the top of the route, it was all fast and fun from there on down. The ride was beautiful and thrilling all at the same time. Before we knew it, we were all back at camp. It was a day of real mountain biking. I know I felt accomplished after the trip!

To celebrate I took my new Tenkara Fishing Rod and gave it a go at fishing. Sure enough, an hour later I had caught 5 trout! It was my first time catching a fish Tenkara style! It was a lot of fun!

@Blake Merrell was Mark Colton a part of this trip? I listen to BYU speeches podcast and in a episode from this past June he describes going on a trip eeriely simililar to this one.

Just curious.
Ned

That was the trip! Mark is our Venture Scout Leader. He used my picture of him rappelling in his devotional. He was terrified of doing a rappel. I was thrilled when he did it anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice! #morekidsonbikes I highly approve of this.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Blake Merrell BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 2 - Kayaking the Green River On The Water 10
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
Kullaberg63 Gore high traverse Backpacking 11
Parma Camping with a double high air mattress? General Discussion 2
travel2walk preventing high altitude (khumbu) cough techniques? Resource Discussions 2
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
Bob Teton Wilderness - 50 miles of High Country - Aug 2022 Backpacking 45
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
balzaccom My second mystery novel set in the High Sierra is now out! General Discussion 6
balzaccom Gibbs Lake, High Sierra Backpacking 2
fossana Palisades Roundabout (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
fossana Evolution Loop (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 10
N Gilbert Meadows- High Uintas Trip Planning 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
balzaccom Mystery set in the High Sierra General Discussion 4
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
C High Uintas Wilderness - Last minute plans Trip Planning 4
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
Tarp Boy High Sierra Camp Loop, Yosemite, CA Trip Reports 5
fossana A taste of the GR11: 6 Days on the Travesía Pirenaica (High Pyrenees, Spain) Backpacking 18
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
fossana Bear Lakes > Royce Lakes overnighter (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
DrNed Plan B to High Uintas Backpacking Trip Planning 20
Dave High Uinta sheep grazing EIS General Discussion 2
J Cali: Cinder Cones, High Sierra Rambles, Famous Domes Oct 26-31, 2018 Hiking & Camping 3
R Psuedoephedrine at high altitude General Discussion 6
fossana Pine Creek/Granite Park fall excursion (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 14
David Rule High Peaks Wilderness-August 2018 Backpacking 1
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
Born to Hike Clements Lake and East Basin in the High Uintas, mid-July 2018 Backpacking 6
scatman High Sierra Trail Backpacking 23
D Wind River High Route Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure Backpacking 21
Ross High Spur and North Wash Canyoneering 5
westy High Uintas - West Basin Backpacking 0
George_Washington_Hayduke High Uintas: Allen Lake and Thunderstorms Backpacking 0
westy High Uintas - Henry's, Painter, Yellowstone, Smith's Backpacking 5
westy High Uintas - Middle Basin Backpacking 5
Luke High elevation uinta campgrounds/lakes General Discussion 9
S Central Utah high alpine suggestions Trip Planning 2
N Which High Uintas overnight hike? Trip Planning 2
mattvogt7 High Water Bruneau On The Water 8
Tim Valentine High Sierra Lakes Tour Backpacking 11
Perry Sierra Designs High Route 1FL Tent - Looks interesting Gear 6
S High alpine in central Utah Trip Planning 4
Devin Ashby Ostler Peak - Amethyst Basin - High Uinta Wilderness Backpacking 0