Bridal Cave, Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri

Curt

My wife and I drove out to South Carolina at the end of February for a wedding. The drive involved taking I-70 across Missouri. Having visited Onondaga Cave State Park (south of I-70 and west of St. Louis) (https://backcountrypost.com/threads/onondaga-cave-state-park-missouri.5249/) and being thoroughly impressed with it, I began looking for another cave to visit on our transit across Missouri. The one I finally chose was Bridal Cave. It's on the shore of Lake of the Ozarks south of I-70 and east of Kansas City in a private park called Thunder Mountain Park. It's claim to fame is that more than 3000 weddings have been performed inside the cave since it was opened to the public in the late 1940's. I honestly wasn't expecting much but ended up being very impressed. The cave isn't as big as Onondaga but there's even more fancy cave formations here. I thought it was very nice.

The weddings are performed in front of a formation called 'The Wedding Cake' not too far inside the cave. There's a small room there that would hold maybe 100 people if you shoe-horned everyone in.
P3024155-Pano.jpg

Many of the other formations had names but I didn't take notes. Just pictures. So, here's some of the others.
P3024171-Pano.jpg

P3024174.jpg

P3024175-Pano.jpg

P3024179-Pano.jpg

P3024188-Pano.jpg

P3024194-Pano.jpg

P3024198-Pano.jpg

P3024202.jpg

P3024207-Pano.jpg

P3024214-Pano.jpg

P3024234-Pano.jpg

This is called "Mystery Lake". The mystery is that no one knows how or when the ladder and other debris got into the water. Speculation is that it dates from the earliest exploration of the cave which was somewhere around 1910.
P3024253.jpg

The big flat wavy formation on the upper right of the picture is called "cave bacon".
P3024258-Pano.jpg

These are called "soda straws". They are hollow. and drip water constantly.
P3024221.jpg

P3024269.jpg

Early cave explorers found that the best way to get around was on shelves about mid-height in the cave. In the picture below there is a wooden bridge placed by early explorers to cross between rooms. In the late 1940's the cave owner wanted to open the cave to the public for the revenue and decided it was too dangerous to have people climbing ladders and crawling across rickety bridges so he had a crew jackhammer through formations between rooms and pour a concrete walkway.
P3024272.jpg

This is a historic ladder still remaining in the cave.
P3024225.jpg

Attachments

• P3024239.jpg
    P3024239.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 9

Miya

Because I am able.
The Mystery Lake...is spooky...
I love this! I don't much listen to all the details during tours either and just go for the shots. :p Really cool share!! Was happy to see it. :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Outdoor_Fool Snowshoeing to Castner Glacier Ice Cave, Alaska Range Winter Sports 5
westy Cave Canyon, Grand Canyon west Hiking & Camping 5
J Mount Nutt Wilderness Cave Spring Area dayhike Nov 26, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
F Goshute Cave Everything Else 1
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Cowboy Cave Hiking & Camping 2
C cave of 200 hands in Canyonlands Trip Planning 0
Ross Hiking/easy canyoneering partner for Bull Valley Gorge,Sand Wash (Red Cave) & other spots Trip Planning 0
C cave of 200 hands Trip Planning 2
Curt Onondaga Cave State Park, Missouri Everything Else 7
uintahiker Indian Cave Nebraska Hiking & Camping 8
Aldaron Tumbling Rock Cave Everything Else 17
Nick Timpanogos Cave Hiking & Camping 7
uintahiker Lava River Cave, AZ Hiking & Camping 0
Udink Cowboy Cave Hiking & Camping 1
Udink Quail Panel and Funk's Cave Hiking & Camping 5
Nick Son Doong Cave General Discussion 4
Christian Great Basin NP and Crystal Ball Cave, UT Hiking & Camping 16
Nick Bullseye Ruin and Ballroom Cave, Cedar Mesa Hiking & Camping 3
barl0w Klondike Snow Cave Camping at Aspen Grove, UT 3/16/12 Everything Else 3
Alison Cave Valley-Kolob Hiking & Camping 5
Seldom Seen Anderson Cave Valley Hiking & Camping 3
DOSS Camping in a Cave with girls May 2010 Off Road 5
uintahiker Goshute Cave and Blue Lake Trip Planning 5
J Lake Mead NRA and Sloan Canyon NCA summit and vista hikes. Nov 21-25, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Grizzly Lake - Yellowstone National Park - September - 2022 Meet Up (Members Only) 81
Jackson Hearst Lake Hiking & Camping 10
P Overnight at Ice Lake, Yellowstone Backpacking 4
TrailScot Lake Powell and the 'return' of Glen Canyon General Discussion 8
Jackson Hollow Top Lake Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Shoshone Lake, Ouzel Creek, and Three Rivers Junction -- September 13-16 2021 Backpacking 62
TrektheWorld Crater Lake and Lone Eagle Peak Backpacking 1
randakag Anaconda-Pintler: Lake of the Isle?? Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Off Trail to Yellowstone's Aster Lake and Upper Witch Creek -- September 13, 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
Bob Wind Rivers - Lee Lake Loop Backpacking 6
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2
A Wind Rivers: Clear Lake, Faler Lake and Roaring Fork General Discussion 7
balzaccom Gibbs Lake, High Sierra Backpacking 2
scatman Beartooth Wilderness - Flat Rock Lake Lollipop Loop - July 26, 2021 Backpacking 56
kwc Short jaunt to Broomstick Lake, southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
Janice Mirror Lake Highway - Crowds? Recommendation? Trip Planning 4
Chuck the Mauler Sierra North Lake / South Lake "loop" questions Trip Planning 10
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
Georgia Yankee Apostle Islands, Lake Superior, June 2021 On The Water 4
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
SirDonB Echo Lake via the Overlook Mt Trail Hiking & Camping 0
Tim Valentine Market Lake Idaho: Birds Photography 3
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Dustynails0 Beartooth lake to East rosebud traverse Trip Planning 6