Boulder mail trail to Hwy 12 bridge question

John Mckean

I am gonna flash this hike on Thursday and then mountain bike back to the Boulder TH. I know there are some ruins a few miles from the Hwy 12 bridge. Can anyone PM me some info?

Directly under the big rim arch just upstream from Escalante Natural Bridge and just downstream from Sand Creek. It is a cliff dwelling seen easily from the trail. Go scout around below and you'll probably see some cool stuff. Lower Sand Creek is also interesting.

Thank you kind sir for that bit of info. This should be a interesting trip. I will report back with some details

There is also a small panel on the north side of the river just upstream from the hwy12 trailhead on the east side of an alcove that was recently exposed by the russian olive& tamerisk removal projects. I'd walked by it a dozen times when the trees were there and never noticed

Found the ruins no problem thanks! Didn't see a soul for the first 22 miles of this hike. Death hollow was incredible! The bike ride back to the Boulder TH was rough. The wind was blowing like crazy... made the hogs back interesting.

Intuitive cat- thanks! Didn't see this post till after my trip. can you camp in that alcove?

Found the ruins no problem thanks! Didn't see a soul for the first 22 miles of this hike. Death hollow was incredible! The bike ride back to the Boulder TH was rough. The wind was blowing like crazy... made the hogs back interesting.

Intuitive cat- thanks! Didn't see this post till after my trip. can you camp in that alcove?

the alcove is big enough to camp in. it is only about a quarter mile from the hwy 12 trailhead and a few hundred yards from the house which is next to the trailhead. there is actually a slab sided leaf bed in that alcove that a survival skills teacher friend of mine made years ago.
the spot used to be kept more on the down low when it was hidden behind tamarisk but it is pretty exposed and obvious now.

Yeah, that's the alcove I camped in. I was so surprised to find such a good camping spot away from the sun and wind. I can't believe I missed the panel though. I will check it out next time. It's still not real oblivious from the trail. What a great spot!

I know there is a point of interest in Sand Creek. I explored some but couldn't find anything. Do you have any info? Thanks!

Back