Boulder mail trail to Hwy 12 bridge question

John Mckean

I am gonna flash this hike on Thursday and then mountain bike back to the Boulder TH. I know there are some ruins a few miles from the Hwy 12 bridge. Can anyone PM me some info?

Directly under the big rim arch just upstream from Escalante Natural Bridge and just downstream from Sand Creek. It is a cliff dwelling seen easily from the trail. Go scout around below and you'll probably see some cool stuff. Lower Sand Creek is also interesting.

Thank you kind sir for that bit of info. This should be a interesting trip. I will report back with some details

There is also a small panel on the north side of the river just upstream from the hwy12 trailhead on the east side of an alcove that was recently exposed by the russian olive& tamerisk removal projects. I'd walked by it a dozen times when the trees were there and never noticed

Found the ruins no problem thanks! Didn't see a soul for the first 22 miles of this hike. Death hollow was incredible! The bike ride back to the Boulder TH was rough. The wind was blowing like crazy... made the hogs back interesting.

Intuitive cat- thanks! Didn't see this post till after my trip. can you camp in that alcove?

Found the ruins no problem thanks! Didn't see a soul for the first 22 miles of this hike. Death hollow was incredible! The bike ride back to the Boulder TH was rough. The wind was blowing like crazy... made the hogs back interesting.

Intuitive cat- thanks! Didn't see this post till after my trip. can you camp in that alcove?

the alcove is big enough to camp in. it is only about a quarter mile from the hwy 12 trailhead and a few hundred yards from the house which is next to the trailhead. there is actually a slab sided leaf bed in that alcove that a survival skills teacher friend of mine made years ago.
the spot used to be kept more on the down low when it was hidden behind tamarisk but it is pretty exposed and obvious now.

Yeah, that's the alcove I camped in. I was so surprised to find such a good camping spot away from the sun and wind. I can't believe I missed the panel though. I will check it out next time. It's still not real oblivious from the trail. What a great spot!

I know there is a point of interest in Sand Creek. I explored some but couldn't find anything. Do you have any info? Thanks!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
L Boulder Mail Trail April 2023 Qs Trip Planning 14
R Boulder Mail Trail to Death Hollow Trip Planning 1
TrektheWorld Boulder Mail Trail - end of October? Trip Planning 18
Brett Boulder Mail Trail - April 26-27, 2019 Backpacking 2
cmgz Boulder Mail Trail - Escalante Trailhead to Mamie Creek Hiking & Camping 1
Brett Boulder Mail Trail - Logistical Qs Trip Planning 10
Janice Loop possible with Boulder Mail Trail? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 8
Ugly In and Out - Boulder Mail Trail to DH Backpacking 9
Jackson Death Hollow from the Boulder Mail Trail Backpacking 18
Skiwi Boulder Mail Trail to Death Hollow questions Trip Planning 8
Nick Boulder Mail Trail Backpacking 10
mattvogt7 Boulder Mail Trail, Jan 2014 Backpacking 13
Nick Boulder Mail Trail in winter General Discussion 37
John Mckean Boulder Mail Trail to Highway 12 Backpacking 6
J Boulder Mail Trail Question General Discussion 2
Tyler Boulder Mail trail to Sand Creek March 2012 Backpacking 3
Nick Death Hollow & The Boulder Mail Trail Backpacking 23
Titans Boulder Mtn snow March 29- 2023 Photography 1
M Hollow Boulder Trip Planning 1
John Goering Boulder Lakes, Tobacco Root Mountains Off Road 0
RSchott Hello from Boulder, CO Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
swmalone Restaurant Suggestions for Escalante or Boulder General Discussion 11
LarryBoy Five Days on Boulder Mountain Backpacking 5
Udink Boulder Top Hiking & Camping 4
ramblinman Boulder Creek Day Hike, Escalante National Monument Hiking & Camping 5
WasatchWill To the Boulder Top Backpacking 9
Parma Idaho's White Cloud Mountains - Boulder Chain Lakes - Chamberlain Basin Backpacking 8
J Who's done Steep Creek Canyon off Boulder Mtn folows into the Gulch at the Burr Trail? Trip Planning 3
3DegreesSouth Paria/Buckskin Boulder Jam Trip Planning 6
ramblinman Food Fight: Article in the New Yorker about the Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder, UT General Discussion 7
msteudel Boulder Mountain North Slope UT: Donkey Res. to Lost Lake? Trip Planning 1
wesleyS Road from Boulder airstrip, UT Hiking & Camping 5
Perry Spring Day Hike up Boulder Creek Hiking & Camping 2
S White Cloud route, Big Boulder Lakes to Boulder Chain Lakes Trip Planning 3
M VIDEO - Bear Peak, Boulder, Colorado General Discussion 0
Bob Morris Glacier in 2 Weeks!!! (Boulder Pass Questions) Trip Planning 10
Jammer Boulder Creek NON Short-cut General Discussion 15
John Goering South Boulder River (Tobacco Root Mountains) day hikes. Hiking & Camping 8
muir_mountain Walker Ranch Loop, Boulder, CO Hiking & Camping 3
Jimmy Glacier Natl Park - Boulder Pass Trail Trip Planning 36
lostlandscapes Big Boulder Lakes, White Clouds -- July 3-5, 2015 Backpacking 12
Nico Boulder Mountain Trip Planning 19
Duke Which Lakes on the Boulder have no vehicle access General Discussion 7
steve Thanksgiving: Capitol Reef to Boulder Mountain Off Road 5
Jammer Boulder Mountain → Moab Hike Backpacking 14
Laura Aspen on Boulder Mountain Trip Planning 5
Nick Boulder Creek, Escalante Backpacking 34
Jammer Boulder to Moab Hike Video Backpacking 22
BJett Boulder Creek Backpacking 18