Boats... to rent or buy?

Uh oh, I just spotted the alpacka gnu...

If anyone could make a lightweight boat, it'd be alpacka. If they had a packboat similar to a touring kayak, that would be awesome. I think the sides would be too tall on the gnu to paddle with a kayak paddle. Anyone seen one in person?

this trip report got me thinking, and I'm considering getting a packraft too. I know the packrafts don't track extremely well, and they're not super efficient, but I love the weight and packability. Has anyone taken them on an extended river trip? I'm talking something like the 45 miles down labyrinth canyon. I worry that they'd be so ineffecient that you'd be exhausted when you got to camp each night.

I know it's designed to be packed and packed up frequently, but if I can streamline and get by with one boat to do my water trips, it may be the ticket.

Last edited:
Well I hope you don't pull the plug on Fender's boating career just yet, give him few more chances to redeem himself. :)

I thought it was a lost cause, but as I read about it, it sounds like it's just going to take a lot of time and patience to acclimate my dog, but it's worth it. I figured he'd be fine the first time out, but now I see that 20-30 min for a first outing is a bit much. We'll work our way up.

I thought it was a lost cause, but as I read about it, it sounds like it's just going to take a lot of time and patience to acclimate my dog, but it's worth it. I figured he'd be fine the first time out, but now I see that 20-30 min for a first outing is a bit much. We'll work our way up.
Good to hear. I took my dogs out in a canoe the other day for a bit, little guy just sat there relaxed and taking in the new atmosphere and surroundings. The curious beagle however moved around a bit(all that space), have a drink from lake every few mins, she definitely needs more training and patience but it went way better than I had expected. Weather looks pretty bleak for weekend, but planning to take the canoeing bird refuge are and do some bird watching, that will be ultimate test for the beagle senses.

Awesome, you're a lucky man! You're off to a great start.

5 min into it, my dog started panicking, shivering, and whimpering uncontrollably. In the 3 years of owning him, and taking him rappelling, swimming, canyoneering, and hiking, i've never heard him whimper.