Boats... to rent or buy?

Add me to the "no self restraint" club. The only restraint I have is when I drive with my seatbelt on.

x3 on the no restraint club. Case in point:

This is kind of the opposite end of the spectrum from the packraft subject, but I thought I'd mention it since this thread is pretty much wholly responsible for spurring the decision. We decided to buy instead of rent. Meet the latest addition to my fleet (and my wife testing out the couches). This is going to be my 'mothership' for getting kayaks, camping gear, doggies and my feet into some awesome remote canyons and great fishing (Yellowstone Lake here I come!). We were thinking about buying an old junker, but the pontoon boats were really appealing. Relatively inexpensive, cheap to operate and cheap and easy to maintain. And all the room! I'm thinking she needs a BCP-related name, especially since she already matches the BCP color scheme. Any ideas? :)

upload_2014-1-30_15-19-13.png

IMG_0059.JPG

pontoon looks like some great times :)

Getting the girls (and dogs!) to come along is worth the price of admission for sure.

Bringing this back up. We have decided to buy some inflatable kayaks. I'll most likely go with the aquaglide columbia tandem or possibly a sea eagle fast track. The tributary is an option as well.

Hey Randy, do the vents in your boat let water in? Is there always a couple inches of water in the boat, or can the floor stay completely dry?

The floor of the boat is higher than the holes in the seams since it is inflated, so the floor is usually dry. There is usually some water in the seams between the side tubes and floor, but that usually won't get you our your gear wet.

The floor of the boat is higher than the holes in the seams since it is inflated, so the floor is usually dry. There is usually some water in the seams between the side tubes and floor, but that usually won't get you our your gear wet.

Does the floor inflate as well, or just the two side pontoons?

I will follow this thread closely because I'm buying an inflatable soon, too.
Still have my eyes on the Tomcat Tandem or Sawtooth II, not sure which one I should choose. I will primarily use it for float trips, lakes, reservoirs