Bivy or One Man Tent

Also, I have Tarptent and love it -- they make really great products. But even so, I'll take a bivy instead on many trips for reasons outlined.

A few years ago I was trying to climb Mount Baker in spring and had a tent for base camp and a bivy for higher up and the weather turned so bad one night that after a few hours of shivering I climbed into my bivy inside the tent. I've never been so warm and happy.

One last thing: if there's possibility of weather and you're sleeping in a bivy, you need a way to cover your pack at night so it doesn't soak through. But on that kind of trip you probably have a daytime pack cover, so this may not add any weight.

If it's raining it will drive you crazy in a bivy.......even though you are dry your mind thinks you are getting wet.... plus if you have to stay in it for any length of time due to weather.......

I got rid of mine years ago......been a tent guy for a lot of years, and open tarps as a shelter are right behind the bivy as undesirable...

If it's raining it will drive you crazy in a bivy.......even though you are dry your mind thinks you are getting wet.... plus if you have to stay in it for any length of time due to weather.......

I got rid of mine years ago......been a tent guy for a lot of years, and open tarps as a shelter are right behind the bivy as undesirable...

I think one of my craziest experiences in a Bivy was during a crazy thunderstorm. The thunder was so close it felt like some one was taking my Bivy and shaking it.

So I just purchased the Marmot EOS 1p. ANd got a pretty good deal:

https://www.rei.com/product/895636/marmot-eos-1p-tent

I was able to get it for $136.62 !!! There is a sale right now on REI so I got $49 off the tent, then I had a $78 return at REI for this year which came in a couple of days ago! I should have it by the end of the week, I will let you all know what I think.

Doe Anyone know much about the EOS 1P from Marmot? This is the one man tent I am looking at right now and am looking for soem good reviews.

https://marmot.com/products/details/eos-1p

I haven't been able to find any images of it rolled up. I guess I need to plan a trip to REI this weekend!

Hey Mike,
Marmot makes great products. I just recently bought the Flashlight 1 from Sierra Designs and I love it. Has a nice gear closet in place of a traditional vestibule, it's a trekking pole tent, but super functional, and isn't a bank account killer. Go check it out.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
trampalong Mylar and Mylar Bivy Advice Needed Gear 18
Mike Jones Starting to build my own Bivy Gear 11
The Trout Whisperer A wise man just asked about my cuisine in th backcountry… General Discussion 41
Perry Holy Crap! Cougar Stalks Man on Local Trail General Discussion 14
Ross Anyone want to do East Fork Fat Man's Misery-Barracks-Labyrinth Falls Oct 15 (tues) Trip Planning 0
ram Fat Man's Joy 12-25-18 Canyoneering 4
Parma American man first to solo across Antarctica unaided General Discussion 21
Rockskipper Man wades into Katmai bear feeding zone, takes a selfie General Discussion 2
Perry Wow! Another Impressive Feat: Man Climbs Colorado's 100 Highest Peaks. Nonstop General Discussion 2
andyjaggy Missing Uinta Man Found General Discussion 0
IntrepidXJ The Rain Man Site Hiking & Camping 2
westerner54 Government Trail to Big Man Pictographs, Grand Gulch Utah Backpacking 3
hatchcanyon Neanderthal Man - or so! Everything Else 4
gnwatts Stop THE MAN redux..... General Discussion 6
Duke My "Poor Man's L" Lens Photography 9
Nick Dog saves man, man eats dog General Discussion 6
gnwatts Fight the MAN! Labyrinth Canyon........ General Discussion 3
Tyler Fat Man's Misery teammates needed next weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Howells Outdoors Fat Man's Misery - 4/6/2013 Canyoneering 12
Howells Outdoors Mountain Man Captured General Discussion 4
Howells Outdoors Fat Man's Misery (5.2012) Canyoneering 2
lostlandscapes Fat Man's Misery -- 9/14/12 Canyoneering 6
IntrepidXJ Falling Man to Dante's View Hiking & Camping 4
Seldom Seen Anderson Little Man Site Everything Else 11
Nick Fat Man's Misery, Zion Canyoneering 28
Archbishop Lazy man's trip report. Hiking & Camping 2
IntrepidXJ Big Man Panel & Lower Comb Wash Hiking & Camping 1
R Getting to All American Man Trip Planning 3
R Salt Creek - All American Man Trip Planning 28
OldBill Tool for tent comparisons - useable space Gear 0
gnwatts A new tent Gear 8
B 3P Backpacking Tent Recommendation and Nemo Aurora feedback Gear 3
R Pls recommend 4-season 1 person tent Gear 16
westy Rooftop tent General Discussion 3
Wanderlust073 Copper Spur UL1 new shock cord for tent poles Gear 4
B 2P Backpacking Tent Recommendation Gear 13
F Gingerbread tent! General Discussion 4
F Looking for tent recommendations Gear 20
Jackson Big Agnes Tent Durability Gear 11
Rockskipper Car Camping Tent Suggestions Gear 37
P Drippy tent General Discussion 11
Bob New tent on the market Gear 1
JuddOutdoors What is a good backpacking single person tent? 4 Season Gear 14
regehr Jumping Jack tent trailer for sale! Gear Market: Buy, Sell, Trade 2
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway in the fog, trying out my new 4 season tent Trip Reports 3
Perry Free Duo Free-standing Tent from Zpacks Gear 10
westy Stuff to let go - pack, tent, jacket Gear Market: Buy, Sell, Trade 0
Perry Drop/Dan Durston XMID Two Person Tent Coming Gear 0
D Trekking poles for lightweight tent Gear 15
Perry Interesting New One Person Tent - Review Video Added Gear 34