Gear Review Best Hiking Briefs

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Antlerking, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Antlerking

Antlerking Member

Ok guys,

I'm looking for some good hiking/backpacking briefs. Right now I have a few pairs of ExOfficio boxer brief, I love them but they ride up. I want to stick with the boxer brief's, but ones that hold your stuff in and breath good. What are some recommendations?

2. Nick

Nick Post 'em if you got 'em!

Costco carries some nice boxer briefs that I have liked hiking in more than anything else I've tried. I think they are Champion brand. Nice and long so they don't ride up too much and leave your thighs chafing. I've also found that using Body Glide can go a long way to keep the thighs from becoming hamburgerized on long hikes.

TannerT likes this.
  3. mak1277

mak1277 Member

I have a pair of under armor boxer briefs that I prefer over the ex officio ones I have. They are a little more snug, and ride up less. One (potential) drawback is that they don't have a fly. I don't mind personally, but YMMV.

I've also used the C9 brand (Champion) that is sold at Target. While they aren't bad, I think they're clearly inferior to ex officio and under armor as long as you don't mind dropping a bit of coin on undies.

4. steve

steve Member

x2 on body glide.

TannerT likes this.
  5. Bob

Bob Trailmaster

Commando........ A guy in our old group (younger) had a guy that used to hike nude into the grand Canyon.... :help:

6. The Splitter

The Splitter Member

I wear the longer length under armor ones, the shorter ones ride up on my legs and turn into whitey tidies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Mike K

Mike K Member

I liked this write-up. I haven't tried them and I'm not sure how quick-dry they are and if they're specifically good for hiking...but...maybe.

8. TannerT

TannerT Hike Hard, Tread Lightly

Those sound great actually. I third what @steve and @Nick said about bodyglide. AMAZING!!! I need the comfort and support too. I use some fruit of the loom boxer briefs but on long hikes, or intermittent strenuous activity during the day (hike hard - rest - everything dries and leaves salt leftover - hike hard - chaff - :cry:) it's not good to say the least. I'll try out the others that have been suggested as well.

9. gnwatts

gnwatts Member

10. Artemus

Artemus I walk

You guys wear briefs? WIld!

scatman and Nick like this.
  11. Bob

Bob Trailmaster

Noooooooooooooooo don't tell me you were commando :help:

scatman and Artemus like this.
  12. Vegan.Hiker

Vegan.Hiker TR or it didn't happen

I wear UnderArmour spandex type boxer briefs when hiking and find them to be very comfy, supportive, and dry.

13. Mack Shaft

Mack Shaft Member

I use a Target brand. I like them and fair price.

14. onepaddlejunkie

onepaddlejunkie New Member

I am still a firm believer that ExOfficio Boxer Briefs are the best. The thing I have found is to buy one size less than what you think you wear. I wear XL in about everything but Large fits me just right in the ExOfficio. I have a pair of the older Under Armor boxer briefs and they make me sweat like a pig. The will last forever in the back of the drawer because they will never be worn again. Wal-Mart sells a light weight synthetic boxer brief (Life by Jockey) that I wear every day and they work pretty well. They sell about a half dozen different styles of these briefs but only one has long legs and a pocket to put all your marbles in. Good Luck on your hunt!

Hurakan likes this.
  15. Hurakan

Hurakan Member

@onepaddlejunkie That's all I wear now is the Exofficio, they last, dry fast and are comfortable. They stay put for me just fine, might be my thighs are pretty thick.

16. steve

steve Member

another big vote for underarmor compression shorts.