Bears

I've tried using USPS & UPS to ship it back with no luck. I have left it with friends but that may be problematic this year as neither of them may be able to join in this fall. I have considered burying it and digging it up the following year. I may end up doing that this year. I'll be curious to see how well it works after sitting underground all winter.

I carry both, bear spray for the four legged beasties and a compact handgun if things go bad. Since I keep my firearms concealed (open carry tends to weird out some people), its by far faster and more efficient to use bear spray. Also saves a lot of hassle from having to kill something and go back and report it. Its rare you will ever have to resort to using bear spray, and much less shoot something. But its better to be safe than sorry. I like Counter Assault as well, good stuff. Most people worry about animal attacks but lighting, weather, getting lost or being stupid by far cause more problems. I go outdoors to enjoy myself, I don't worry too much once up there.

I use to carry bigger hand guns, now I just carry a .22 in the Uinta's, weighs less and still very lethal if you know where to place your shots. Not to mention, if things go bad will kill small game. Yellowstone I would carry something bigger, but I would go well out of my way not to shoot anything there.

Last edited:
Dumb question from a Midwesterner who only deals with bears when I head out West...

Are there any types of bear spray that can be placed in checked luggage? One issue with traveling (often under a tight timeline) is that we have to find a source for bear spray upon arrival. It's not always feasible, depending on where we're traveling. Would love to be able to bring it along, but it appears to be banned from airplanes just like fuel.

I am going to visit my dad in month and plan to do some back country hikes. I am ordering bear spray on amazon and having it shipped to his house since i can't take it on a plane, same with my fuel for my stove.

I think they come from the same factory along with Frontiersman and the very badly named Bear Mace.

I live in Jackson. Bear spray is sold all over the place. Man, I sold so much of it at Moosely Mountaineering and Skinny Skis, caching.

I've lent it to forum friends. I think there are rental options now too. I think the days of selling more than a $1,000 worth of Bear Spray in an hour are over.

Interesting Amazon can ship it.

Thanks for the advice on the book! Sounds like valuable reading!

TC, buy that book and read it ASAP. If you wait until just before the trip, you will be very nervous about any bear you see as there are plenty of detailed stories in the book. Read it now and let your brain settle around the fact that bear attacks are extremely uncommon and there is a lot you can do to minimize the risk.

Enjoy your trip!

If you are renting a car ask if they have any bear spray. Last year in MT the rent car company was more then happy to give it to me.

I plan on backpacking in Yellowstone with my son for the first time this June. Do any backpackers carry a firearm, or what do you suggest for a bear encounter to defend yourself? I'm leaning more towards a firearm than a pepper spray
I would consider loaning a can if you are flying into or driving through Idaho Falls.

Thanks, Outdoor Fool! Yes I've already bought the book and I'm about 1/3 the way thru . Definitely glad I'm reading it now ,and let all the info sink in . I'm driving a jeep with a soft top . Any problems with bears destroying them ?

Not a problem in Yellowstone that I've ever heard of. Just do not store food or any other smelly (good or bad) items in vehicle, including toothpaste, shampoo, etc. In Yosemite, you'd probably lose the soft top.

I don't carry or even own firearms anymore so I would go with the bear spray. I carry it in Yellowstone and would in Alaska/Montana as well.

Still the best deterrent I have found is a bell. I don't have any research to point to, but it makes sense to me that an animal is going to react badly if I startle or scare them. If I am in an area that I am worried about running into a bear or moose I tie a small bell to my bag and it rings as I hike. Obviously this can scare away some wildlife but hopefully it will prevent me from walking around a corner and startling a bear.

Actually, unpublished research has shown that wearing bells in an area where bears have not had the chance to make the bells/human connection either ignore the sound or in some cases, may be drawn to it, probably out of curiosity. The efficacy of bells seems to vary widely, I'm glad to read that you carry bear spray.

That makes sense as well. The blacks here in Colorado remind me of racoons; smart, curious, and up to no good. I have used the bell for years, not even sure where I got it but I suspect the guy who told me about it started the discussion with, " let me show you an old Indian trick."

Edited to remove crazy story about Colorado Pot Farmers, fish based fertilizers, old trailer, and of course bears.

Last edited:
Nurrgle,

A few years ago I'd of laughed at you for the bell but then a guy I met changed my mind. He's a forest inventorier, like the imbecile that they dug out of 3 different holes in 2014 on Cub Creek in the Teton Wilderness. Guy I met holsters spray but also wears bells, EIGHT of them , on top of his pack and finds grizzlies pop upright out of tall grass/herbs and run away. Bells however drive me a little crazy so I just get vocal in short sight distance or hiking into stiff wind and have popped my airhorn several times.

This Youtube video is by Dr. Tom Smith, the principle author of the Alaska study.

I carry UDAP. Ditch the bells, carry a small air horn can..... If you want to ship bear spray, you have to use FedEx.....
Can send it to my address in Island Park, 22 miles west of the West Yellowstone entrance.

May be a little late to the party - but what's everyone's feelings on Yosemite's and SeKi's ban on bear spray? I'm sort of amazed that they instituted these policies. It was drilled into my head from a pretty young age that bear spray was the best solution to potential bear encounters - both for the bear and the human. Two family friends are actually rangers there, but every time I've run into them I always forget to ask about their opinions on the policy. I know Tom Smith was flabbergasted when he heard about it.