Bag Night Challenge 2020

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Alright. Start! Same rules as always. You are supposed to post your status and count to date and post one or two pictures for each status report. Thus if you are reporting out your status update with three trips put up one or two pics for the most recent camp. If you don't post a pic you won't be eligible for the prize drawing at the end of the year :)

There are no official rules, but a bag night in the tread is typically defined by a night out camping in some form. It doesn't matter if you sleep on a tarp, in a tent, or in the back of your car. It is more of an attitude thing. If you are outside to enjoy nature, if it's camping baby, it's a Bag Night.

Last edited:
Night 1 of 2020.
No off days last week(worked 16 days in 2 weeks through the holidays :p), but I took one this week.
Drove to TN after work Tuesday morning, and did part of the Fiery Gizzard trail, finishing 20min after sundown.
Then drove to the Walls of Jericho TH/campsite in AL and set up in the dark.
Hiked in/out to the "Walls" today, back at work tonight.
Pics from both places are in the waterfalls thread...

My new shelter only has 3 nights on it, but in 3 different states(TN, NC, AL). I may go do the waterfall trail and backcountry loop at Cloudland Canyon in GA next week, just to be a goofball about it. I'm afraid that trend's gonna be pretty short-lived, though!

Maybe this will finally be the year I don't miss a month. Just got back from my solo road trip to see Tool in Vegas and Phoenix. Spent a couple of nights in a hotel in Vegas but the rest camping. It was particularly nice to drive out into the desert after the concert Saturday night and be surrounded by Saguaros.

Total: 3 Nights

Jan 15 | Silver Reef | 1 Night
Jan 18 | Table Mesa Arizona | 1 Nights
Jan 19 | Outside Page Arizona 1 Nights

Camp on night 1.

My view Sunday morning after the Phoenix show.

My view this morning outside of Page. I tried for another more epic spot but got my self into, and out of some trouble and retreated to this excellent spot. Not a bad consolation. Plus I had full LTE and spent half the day working here.

And a view from the shows. I was 3rd row just right of center in Vegas and 2nd row left of center in Phoenix. Worth every penny and mile driven.

Total: 4 Nights

1/17/2020 - Cañon Largo, NM
1/18/2020 - Cañon Saladito, NM
1/19/2020 - Alamo Windmill, NM
1/20/2020 - Encino, NM

I took Tuesday off work and had four days during Martin Luther King, Jr., weekend to explore New Mexico. A buddy and I started off near Farmington, camping in Cañon Largo and visiting some petroglyphs in a side canyon and ruins on the mesa above. That night we camped in Cañon Saladito, and not being able to find an existing camp spot where we had cell service, we just camped in the middle of a road where we did have service. The next day we found some rock art nearby and then visited the ruins at Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument, and after more driving spent some time checking out the Three Rivers petroglyphs.

On the third day we had camped at Alamo Windmill and checked out the many petroglyphs on Alamo Mountain that morning. Next we dipped down into Texas briefly, re-entered New Mexico, and visited Carlsbad Caverns. We drove north a fair amount that evening and couldn't find any public lands to camp on, so we squatted on some private property outside Encino. The fourth day was mostly driving, with brief stops at some petroglyphs near Waterflow and Four Corners. All told it was 1,750 miles and I took over 600 photos.

Cañon Largo
IMG_0009.JPG

Cañon Saladito
IMG_0143.JPG

Alamo Windmill
IMG_0343.JPG

Outskirts of Encino
IMG_0617.JPG

Night 1 of 2020....My new shelter only has 3 nights on it, but in 3 different states(TN, NC, AL). I may go do the waterfall trail and backcountry loop at Cloudland Canyon in GA next week, just to be a goofball about it. I'm afraid that trend's gonna be pretty short-lived, though!
Added Kentucky to the list, for night 2 of 2020.
I'm supposed to be in the backcountry now, but had to hike out due to an injury flareup. Luckily the hike out was short, and a pretty easy trail, however slow and painful. Hoping I'm better tomorrow-comes and goes.

Horrible spot, chosen strictly because I thought it looked cool. 15F or lower, and gobs of condensation, but I love the Big South Fork!

Last edited:
Added Kentucky to the list, for night 2 of 2020.
I'm supposed to be in the backcountry now, but had to hike out due to an injury flareup. Luckily the hike out was short, and a pretty easy trail, however slow and painful. Hoping I'm better tomorrow-comes and goes.

Horrible spot, chosen strictly because I thought it looked cool. 15F or lower, and gobs of condensation, but I love the Big South Fork!
View attachment 86339

View attachment 86340

That looks sweet! Love deciduous woods in winter. Thanks

Last edited:
Spent two nights at the White Crack and day-hiked to an overlook of The Confluence on Saturday. Weather was nice and the White Rim Road was in good shape on the east side of the Island in the Sky.

Total: 8 Nights

Jan 3-5 | Mountain Belle | 2
Jan 17-20 | Mojave Desert | 3
Jan 25-26 | Behind the Rocks | 1
Jan 31 - Feb 2 | White Crack | 2

The Confluence
by Randy Langstraat, on Flickr

Needles Sunset

Jealous! I have two nights at white crack booked in Mid-March but some other things just came up and now I think I have to give them up! :cry:

Let the games begin.

My total Bag Nights for 2020 up to February 11 is---

21 Backpacking
21 Backyard Bedroll Camping

TOTAL 42

I just pulled a 21 day backpacking trip in the mountains of TN/NC and here's some pics---

Trip starts on January 17 with a 95 lb pack and 40 lbs of food etc.

A NC view coming off Hangover Mt down to Slickrock Creek.

The 12 high water crossings of Slickrock Creek.

All squared away in Crowder Camp on Fodderstack Ridge in TN.

The trip ends by climbing up and over Flats Mt.

Arrived home late last night after spending the past week in Arizona and New Mexico for my birthday. Although we didn't do much camping on this trip, we did get out for two overnight backpacking trips.

Total: 10 Nights

Feb 11-12 | Aravaipa Canyon | 1 >> http://adventr.co/2020/02/grand-canyon-of-the-sonoran-desert-aravaipa-canyon/
Feb 14-15 | White Sands National Park | 1 >> http://adventr.co/2020/02/returning-to-the-white-sands-of-the-tularosa-basin/

Aravaipa Canyon

Aravaipa Canyon Camp

Dune at Dusk

White Sands Camp

Last edited:
We spent Leap Day at Swasey's Leap and then spent the night in the Jackass Benches before heading home today.

Total: 11 Nights

Feb 29 - Mar 1 | Jackass Benches | 1
Feb 14-15 | White Sands National Park | 1
Feb 11-12 | Aravaipa Canyon | 1

Jackass Benches Camp

San Rafael River

Can't believe this only gets me up to 5 for 2020, but I had some other playgrounds to visit(Arches today, Arches or Island in the Sky next day or two).
So total nights, 5.
Night 1: Walls of Jericho, AL
Night 2: Big South Fork, KY

And 3 from Canyonlands, Needles District, UT
Night 3: Squaw Flat

Night 4: Elephant Canyon

Night 5: Chessler Park

Total: 6 Nights

1/17/2020 - Cañon Largo, NM
1/18/2020 - Cañon Saladito, NM
1/19/2020 - Alamo Windmill, NM
1/20/2020 - Encino, NM
2/28/2020 - Hart's Draw, UT
2/29/2020 - Hatch Point, UT

I made my first trip to the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park this weekend, camping in Hart's Draw on Friday night and hiking Salt Creek all day Saturday. Then I camped Saturday night at Hatch Point and visited the Needles Overlook and Eightmile Rock on Sunday before moving on to a couple of other interesting locations.

Packing up camp at Hart's Draw
IMG_0646.JPG

Camp on Hatch Point
IMG_0845.JPG

I made my first trip to the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park this weekend, camping in Hart's Draw on Friday night and hiking Salt Creek all day Saturday.
Figures. Rangers told me Salt Creek was inaccessible/impassable. One told me it was flooded:rolleyes:
The sign-in sheet did have a note from someone coming UP Salt Creek that they "could not make it up" to SC2, so I headed back to Moab and Arches without checking it out. Had planned to at least do an overnighter to Angel Arch and back, if not a 3 day trip all the way down to Wedding Ring Arch(though a local had warned me that was quite a slog).

Figures. Rangers told me Salt Creek was inaccessible/impassable. One told me it was flooded:rolleyes:
The sign-in sheet did have a note from someone coming UP Salt Creek that they "could not make it up" to SC2, so I headed back to Moab and Arches without checking it out. Had planned to at least do an overnighter to Angel Arch and back, if not a 3 day trip all the way down to Wedding Ring Arch(though a local had warned me that was quite a slog).
It's definitely impassible to vehicles (the first few miles to Horse Canyon were okay, though beyond that the road was flooded), but hiking it is no big deal. I didn't speak to any rangers though, which is probably why it was easier going. :roflmao: