Bag Night Challenge 2020

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

OwenM

They knew I'd be hiking down from Peekaboo, and I didn't know any better.
I'll definitely be back, though!

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
It's definitely impassible to vehicles (the first few miles to Horse Canyon were okay, though beyond that the road was flooded), but hiking it is no big deal. I didn't speak to any rangers though, which is probably why it was easier going. :roflmao:
The road is almost always flooded beyond Horse Canyon to Peekaboo, even when it’s open there’s a lot of driving through water.

Always a good idea to avoid the rangers as much as possible :)

Titans

It's definitely impassible to vehicles (the first few miles to Horse Canyon were okay, though beyond that the road was flooded), but hiking it is no big deal. I didn't speak to any rangers though, which is probably why it was easier going. :roflmao:
Congratulations on your first Needles trip!

Last fall somebody got stuck out there, got a towing company in and somehow they managed to flip the car and do a lot of damage to the road.

OwenM

That's a Katabatic Bristlecone bivy. I got it to keep condensation off the bag, and keep out windblown snow on those rare occasions that becomes an issue. Turns out I really like it for "cowboy camping", as it keeps me from getting off in the dirt. Doesn't need the groundsheet, but since I already have that along, it's kept the bivy clean the few times I've used it. Packs up so small that I keep it in a 1qt Ziploc freezer bag.

Last edited:

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
We spent the weekend exploring Trachyte Creek and lower Maidenwater. It was very windy for most of last night.

Total: 13 Nights

Mar 6-8 | Trachyte Creek | 2 >> http://adventr.co/2020/03/the-canyons-of-trachyte-creek/
Feb 29 - Mar 1 | Jackass Benches | 1
Feb 14-15 | White Sands National Park | 1
Feb 11-12 | Aravaipa Canyon | 1
Jan 31 - Feb 2 | White Crack | 2
Jan 25-26 | Behind the Rocks | 1
Jan 17-20 | Mojave Desert | 3
Jan 3-5 | Mountain Belle | 2

Trachyte Creek Campsite #1
by Randy Langstraat, on Flickr

Trachyte Creek Campsite #2

Trachyte Creek Morning

Last edited:

OwenM

@OwenM -And does the frost accumulate on the surface of that in the winter instead of on top of your sleeping bag?
Sorry, I missed that earlier. I've only used it a few times. "Usually"(based on those few times), even if the inside of my shelter is coated with ice, the bivy is dry.
So far, conditions have been far from ideal most of the times I've used my Solomid XL, and condensation has been an issue on several occasions.
The bivy has been a welcome addition.
Doesn't hurt that I happen to love bivies. I'd still be using an Integral Designs eVent Unishelter, except for the fact you can't sit up in it.
Another plus is that my water bottles don't freeze, even in the teens, if I put them inside the bivy, alongside the pad.

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Spent a few nights in Canyonlands and it seems the world has gone crazy once I had cell signal again!

Total: 16 Nights

Mar 12-15 | The Needles | 3
Mar 6-8 | Trachyte Creek | 2
Feb 29 - Mar 1 | Jackass Benches | 1
Feb 14-15 | White Sands National Park | 1
Feb 11-12 | Aravaipa Canyon | 1
Jan 31 - Feb 2 | White Crack | 2
Jan 25-26 | Behind the Rocks | 1
Jan 17-20 | Mojave Desert | 3
Jan 3-5 | Mountain Belle | 2

West Side Campsite

Salt Creek Evening

Peekaboo Camp

OwenM

Night 1: Walls of Jericho, AL
Night 2: Big South Fork, KY
Night 3-5: Canyonlands, UT
Night 6: Savage Gulf, TN

Great hike. Waterfalls flowing well, water in creeks where I've never seen it-everything goes underground via "sinks", so there are lots of creek beds that have flow only when the subterranean rivers are overwhelmed.
I've been debating a less warm quilt than my Katabatic Palisade, and the way my old 40F bag unbalances the overall color scheme of my gear may be prompt me to take action.
Don't wanna be clashing in the wilderness...

My camera's Wifi and my phone are arguing, so I can't get the pics tranferred over, but here are a couple GIFs from videos on my phone:

Last edited:

Udink

Keep going.
Total: 8 Nights

1/17/2020 - Cañon Largo, NM
1/18/2020 - Cañon Saladito, NM
1/19/2020 - Alamo Windmill, NM
1/20/2020 - Encino, NM
2/28/2020 - Hart's Draw, UT
2/29/2020 - Hatch Point, UT
3/27/2020 - The Gulch, UT (GSENM)
3/28/2020 - The Gulch, UT (GSENM)

A friend and I camped in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument this weekend and did a long day-hike in the Gulch. We didn't see any other people while hiking, and only stopped once for fuel in Torrey with proper hand-sanitizing techniques. There were definitely more cows than people in the area!

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

OwenM

Night 1: Walls of Jericho, AL
Night 2: Big South Fork, KY
Night 3-5: Canyonlands, UT
Night 6: Savage Gulf, TN
Night 7: DeSoto State Park, AL

Was dayhiking at Savage Gulf in TN, but there's nowhere to camp around there.
DeSoto State Park in N. AL takes late arrivals, though, so I called ahead, then drove down, set up in the dark, and knocked out 12+ hours of sleep.

Aside from people being in some kind of cabin that they also rent out, I had their primitive campground to myself. There are also several small waterfalls that I was able to visit this morning, in spite of my back being very unhappy today.
Late breakfast at Lost Falls:

One of my stops yesterday was the short Greeter Loop at Savage Gulf, which I always turn into a much longer off-trail adventure, rather than staying on the trails.
The highlight is Lower Greeter Falls,

...but my personal favorite is Lower Boardtree Falls, which is off-trail, and down in a gorge that I love to play around in.

Rain certainly makes social distancing easy. I was the only person on the Savage Day Loop.
The only other time I've had Savage Falls to myself was during a polar vortex that brought subzero temps.

Last edited: