Backyard Igloo Adventure

WasatchWill

Ready For More
With all the snow the last couple weeks, I was itching to get out and do an igloo camp. Plans to go out with a friend Friday night fell through so I settled for my backyard. I only got a little more than halfway done with the igloo on Friday night before I called it quits for the night. It still needed a roof. With temperatures expected to get down to single digits over night, I greeted it as an opportunity. I had acquired a new EN comfort rated 0 degree down bag from Teton Sports last spring and had yet to put it to a real winter test. This would be as good a night as any. I also had new gear in an MSR Windpro II stove picked up for winter and group use (by far the most I've ever spent and hope to ever spend on a stove), an OliCamp XTS pot w/ heat exchanger, and a new ultralight insulated Klymit Static V with a 4+ R value I recently ordered through a Massdrop that all deserved to be tested out in such cold temperatures.

I'm happy to report that the stove performed admirably in heating up water to fill a Nalgene to serve as a heater for my bag, and then again in heating up some of that same water for oatmeal and a hot drink upon waking up the next morning. Even more impressive though was the sleeping bag itself. Combined with some merino wool base layers, my lightweight down jacket, a thin fleece balaclava with an extra fleece beanie over the top, the heated Nalgene bottle, all on top of the new Klymit pad doubled over a Therm-a-Rest Z-lite SOL, I did not get one shiver. I was unbelievably warm and comfortable all through the night and was surprised to have slept over an hour beyond dawn. The only time I ever awoke in the night, unfortunately, was to answer a nature call. For what it's worth, my keychain thermometer showed a temperature at right about 0 F when I awoke. So now I know I can take my bag to its comfort limit and actually be comfortable, even if it takes a few extra little tricks to ensure its comfort.

I was able to close in the roof and finish the igloo on Saturday at which point one of my daughters wanted to have another igloo camping experience -- We had done a backyard igloo campout last winter too. Knowing the temperatures would be warmer both inside the now enclosed igloo, and on the outside that night, I obliged. In fact, we went to bed with it snowing that night and woke up with it raining outside. Sadly, that rain has continued on over the last few days and has eroded and melted away much of the igloo since.

The new MSR Windpro and Olicamp pot in action
upload_2017-1-11_6-57-49.png

Waking Up from 1st night
upload_2017-1-11_7-1-43.png

0 degrees
upload_2017-1-11_7-1-58.png

No roof
upload_2017-1-11_7-2-19.png

All finished now
upload_2017-1-11_7-2-52.png

Waking up from the 2nd night out
upload_2017-1-11_7-3-9.png

Melting away :(
upload_2017-1-11_7-3-50.png

For those who may be curious about the tool I use to make the Igloo, it is called the Ice Box by Grand Shelters. I was fixing to splurge for one new from their site a few years ago, but then got lucky when I searched out KSL Classifieds and found a used one for less than half the new cost at that time. Still had to drive an hour away to retrieve it, though. It had all the parts and everything looked like it was in good shape. Score!

Last edited:
Making an igloo is fun stuff! Ed at ice box is a great guy, and is up almost every weekend building igloos and staying in the up in RMNP.

He and his partner made a fantastic tool that obviously took a lot of thought, math, and geometry to make usable.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
fossana Plan B Rainy Day Backyard Exploring Hiking & Camping 9
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
scatman Rockskipper's Big Adventure Backpacking 8
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
Desertratgal 3-Day Rattlesnake Arches Area Adventure Backpacking 4
Mormadmom New and looking for an adventure Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
kwc A Frosty Snowshoeing Adventure in the Southern Adirondacks Winter Sports 0
Perry My First Overnight Ski Touring Adventure Winter Sports 3
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
NorthwestWanderer Route Finding adventure, Copper Pass to Blue Lake - Goats, Bears, Lions, Oh my! Backpacking 3
Mike K Tires For Older Truck (Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure?) Gear 12
Scott Chandler Adventure Vehicle Opinions Gear 18
balzaccom A Southwest Adventure Hiking & Camping 3
Perry Mt Timpanogos - Hartsky Loop Day Adventure Hiking & Camping 13
Jimmy Baker Lake, Lake Diablo, North Cascades, Olympics Family Adventure Hiking & Camping 8
LarryBoy Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure Backpacking 21
AbinadiWitness Colorado Adventure 2016: To the Grenadiers! Backpacking 9
o2bav8 Kayak Adventure on Glen Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
Vegan.Hiker Adventure Journal General Discussion 4
Jen High Uintas Quintuple Pass backpacking adventure Backpacking 15
b.stark A Grand Adventure-Grand Canyon 2016 Backpacking 7
powderglut 1981 Hole In The Rock Canoe Adventure On The Water 24
swmalone Perry Canyon Trail Run and Adventure Everything Else 3
Blake Merrell Kayaking Lone Rock Canyon: Another beUTAHful adventure! On The Water 8
Blake Merrell BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 3 - Mountain Biking the laSal's Everything Else 8
Blake Merrell High Adventure 2015 - Day 1 - Canyoneering Double Arch Canyon Canyoneering 2
Blake Merrell BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 2 - Kayaking the Green River On The Water 10
Blake Merrell Slate Canyon Loop: A local Backpacking Adventure! Backpacking 20
steve Invite Urban Adventure - floating the Jordan River this Sat, 3.21.15 Meet Up (Members Only) 7
Vegan.Hiker Great article about a fellow adventure seeker General Discussion 4
ram Cove Canyon-A 4 day Grand Canyon Adventure 2/8-11/15 Canyoneering 17
elkaholic It’s that time of year again...Planning for the Scouts High Adventure General Discussion 3
Dave B. Uintas Epic Adventure Trip Planning 5
Vegan.Hiker My Cross Country Weekend Adventure in Utah Hiking & Camping 17
jdgibney Southwest Adventure - Oct 2012 Part 1 Hiking & Camping 2
Cairn you dig it? first utah backpack adventure... suggestions? Trip Planning 7
JoanieBelle Solo Utah Adventure Trip Planning 8
Michael Wire Pass to Lee's Ferry - 4 days adventure and fun (May 2012) Backpacking 25
Nick BCP wins 'Best Adventure Blog'! General Discussion 16
V May Maze Adventure! Trip Planning 3
A Invite August Adventure CO/UT/CA/AZ Meet Up (Members Only) 10