Backpacking Yellowstone: Fairyland Basin, Josephs Coat, Wapiti Lake, and Pelican Valley

Google returns interesting results for Fairyland Basin.
"Discovered by rangers in 1976." For true?
Could be true. I've heard that story. I've heard several different stories, and don't know who I believe. It's definitely been on people's radar since the 1990's. I've also heard word got out after a longtime park employee died, and his journal was read.

We've had this conversation, where I try to describe how I just don't "get" Yellowstone with you. I think Fairyland Basin would be something to get me up there. That's an enchanting destination, maybe because of the suffering required to get there.
I don't know if this is the type of trip I would take someone on for their first Yellowstone backpack. Fairylands is like dipping Skoal straight. You got to really like it. It would probably seem boring to most backpackers.

I think a trip out into the Thorofare or deep into the Lamar would be a true experience to see how you like Yellowstone. And the Bechler combo of Mr Bubbles and Dunanda Falls is probably the best backpack in the park.

We all go out into the wilderness for our own reasons. The beautiful thing is that we are all different, and appreciate different things. If we were all the same, then places like Glacier and Yosemite would be the only places anyone went to. :)

I enjoyed reading another one of your great reports and adventures. I love the part walking out in the river where you are taking time to be aware,feel alive, and just enjoy the experience. Looks like a beautiful place! Sounds difficult and tedious. The pictures are awesome!

He made it down to Fairylands with me. While down there, I distinctly remember Keith looking at me and saying "I'll never do that again. Once is enough." He would puke a few hours later from dehydration on our long walk out.

I'm ready to go back -- 2019?

Jamey had made it down to Fairylands with us back in 2012.

On his 18th birthday none the less!

Last year, Keith made me walk right next to it with him, telling me it was the only way. This year though, with his family in tow, he was much more concerned with safety, and found another way around it.
scatman-emoticon.png

It was more worried about facing the wrath of their females if they didn't make it back whole.

We crossed what Keith has unofficially named "Puke Creek"

Great memories! After that I didn't think @Joey or @scatman would ever include me on another adventure.

Often times, walking on a down tree was the easiest method of travel. This can be very dangerous, especially when walking on one that is still suspended in the air.

I had two bad falls. Colin saw one and the other was on my solo trip back to Coffee Pot.

The worst thing about going out to Fairylands, is that you then have to go back.

Understatement. Huge understatement.

We took a break, and I began to think we might actually make it back before dark. Moral kind of took a boost. But that quickly changed.

Nothing is more dangerous than hope.

"Where's the bear?" ..."Holy shit, that was hot!" Colin yelled

Colin is always a hoot.

Colin was busy trying to scheme up a scenario where we carried him into camp and pretended that he was injured. "No, we're not doing that. Keith will hit his Spot button before we can stop him, if he hasn't already." I said.

Good thing you stopped Colin. I still shudder when I think about watching him scale Electric the hard way without any climbing gear (he subsequently found the "easy" way for me to take").

The rest of the group was relieved to see us back.

Understatement

I do believe it rained on us again during the night.

Every night.

The plan for this day was to follow Broad Creek up stream to where it connects with the Wapiti Lake Trail...Keith guessed it was only a few miles. His family didn't seem to believe him, and much time was spent mulling over the map.

I LOVE this section of the park. I said -- 3 miles as the crow flies. Geez people.

About a mile before returning to our camp, a huge hail storm hit us, along with heavy rain. Lightning struck overhead, and within minutes I was completely drenched. The hail continued to come down hard, blowing right into our faces. The trail was flooded, and we slopped our way back to camp.

It wouldn't be summer in Yellowstone without a little hypothermia.

He had this crazy, evil eye, and just stared at us while we walked past. Most bison will stop munching on grass when they look at you, but not this guy.

@scatman would have scared it off.

A candid shot of me taken by Keith. Notice the wooden stick in my hand. I had completely broken one of my tripod legs, and used this stick to balance the tripod for the last 3 days.

You are very resourceful.

Kind of -- someone had siphoned most of the gas from Jamey's car and we barely had enough to get back to Canyon.

Hey Joey, great post! Its the most in depth description of how to get to Fairyland Basin I've found. My group is really interested in Fairyland; since you were part of the most recent group to actually make it out there could you answer some questions we have?

1: About how many or what percentage of the hoodoos/springs were actually flowing? I know Fairyland is on the brink of being completely inactive

2: You mentioned walking along/in Broad Creek part of the way back to 4B1, could you follow Broad Creek from 4B1 all the way to Fairyland? I can't see much in the way of waterfalls on Broad Creek from the Google satellite images but first hand experience is always more valuable than imagery.

3: About how long did it take you to get from Fairyland back to 4B1 along Broad Creek? It seems like that is a more efficient way to get down in there vs going around by Coffeepot Springs.

Thanks again for writing up such a detailed post and providing pictures! It really helps us with planning.

Cheers!

Vince

Last edited:
2: You mentioned walking along/in Broad Creek part of the way back to 4B1, could you follow Broad Creek from 4B1 all the way to Fairyland? We've done steep hikes into thermal areas like Calcite Springs (NE part of the park in the Yellowstone river canyon) but we would like to avoid cliffs as much as possible since we will likely have packs full of science crap. I can't see much in the way of waterfalls on Broad Creek from the Google satellite images but first hand experience is always more valuable than imagery.

Impasse Falls is the obstacle that keeps one from travelling down the creek to Fairylands. It is 25-30 feet in height with no way around so at some point you will have to head up to the top of the Promontory before heading back down to Fairylands. The drop down off the Promontory takes place on the Broad Creek side. You might be tempted to descend on the Shallow Creek side (mistake I made) but it is too steep. Also, you cannot follow Shallow Creek to Fairylands due to Golden Fleece Falls which is impassable (100 ft drop). So the question becomes where to take out of Broad Creek and work your way up and across the Promontory before dropping down to Fairyland. I'm not sure I know the answer to this. When I made my attempt, I went through Coffee Pot Hot Springs because I wanted to see the thermal area since I was already back in there.

We dropped in on the looking downstream left side of the actual basin. Easier just upstream of the basin on the right going downstream...That's where we climbed out. Kinda neat to see but most features are dead. I wanted to go down to the Yellowstone .... But ran out of time

Awesome report, thank you! We are planning a trip back there and have one question...for as many years as I can remember, 4B1 has only been open until mid-August. How did you swing it in September? I would love to go in cooler weather!

Joey doesn't post much here anymore so you may not get a answer from him.

Awesome report, thank you! We are planning a trip back there and have one question...for as many years as I can remember, 4B1 has only been open until mid-August. How did you swing it in September? I would love to go in cooler weather!

There are no restrictions on time of year for campsite 4B1 other than you can only book it for two consecutive nights.

Reactions: Ben