Backpacking Yellowstone: Fairyland Basin, Josephs Coat, Wapiti Lake, and Pelican Valley

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Joey, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Joey

Joey walking somewhere

Could be true. I've heard that story. I've heard several different stories, and don't know who I believe. It's definitely been on people's radar since the 1990's. I've also heard word got out after a longtime park employee died, and his journal was read.

Keith likes this.
  2. Joey

Joey walking somewhere

I don't know if this is the type of trip I would take someone on for their first Yellowstone backpack. Fairylands is like dipping Skoal straight. You got to really like it. It would probably seem boring to most backpackers.

I think a trip out into the Thorofare or deep into the Lamar would be a true experience to see how you like Yellowstone. And the Bechler combo of Mr Bubbles and Dunanda Falls is probably the best backpack in the park.

We all go out into the wilderness for our own reasons. The beautiful thing is that we are all different, and appreciate different things. If we were all the same, then places like Glacier and Yosemite would be the only places anyone went to. :)

Keith, Bob, Jackson and 1 other person like this.
  3. Chuck the Mauler

Chuck the Mauler Formally known as "kcwins"

You calling me a Fairy, Utah?

Bob and Joey like this.
  4. Joey

Joey walking somewhere

I thought you quit. And dipped Wintergreen.

Yes, wintergreen is more of a Teton flavor. :)

Keith, Bob and Chuck the Mauler like this.
  5. danger02ward

danger02ward Love the Mountains!

I enjoyed reading another one of your great reports and adventures. I love the part walking out in the river where you are taking time to be aware,feel alive, and just enjoy the experience. Looks like a beautiful place! Sounds difficult and tedious. The pictures are awesome!

6. Keith

Keith Member

I'm ready to go back -- 2019?

On his 18th birthday none the less!

It was more worried about facing the wrath of their females if they didn't make it back whole.

Great memories! After that I didn't think @Joey or @scatman would ever include me on another adventure.

I had two bad falls. Colin saw one and the other was on my solo trip back to Coffee Pot.

Understatement. Huge understatement.

Nothing is more dangerous than hope.

Colin is always a hoot.

Good thing you stopped Colin. I still shudder when I think about watching him scale Electric the hard way without any climbing gear (he subsequently found the "easy" way for me to take").

Understatement

Every night.

I LOVE this section of the park. I said -- 3 miles as the crow flies. Geez people.

It wouldn't be summer in Yellowstone without a little hypothermia.

@scatman would have scared it off.

You are very resourceful.

Kind of -- someone had siphoned most of the gas from Jamey's car and we barely had enough to get back to Canyon.

scatman, Jackson and Jeffrey Chandler like this.
  7. scatman

scatman Member

@Keith - I almost smiled when I read this.

Keith likes this.
  8. Vince Debes

Vince Debes New Member

Hey Joey, great post! Its the most in depth description of how to get to Fairyland Basin I've found. My group is really interested in Fairyland; since you were part of the most recent group to actually make it out there could you answer some questions we have?

1: About how many or what percentage of the hoodoos/springs were actually flowing? I know Fairyland is on the brink of being completely inactive

2: You mentioned walking along/in Broad Creek part of the way back to 4B1, could you follow Broad Creek from 4B1 all the way to Fairyland? I can't see much in the way of waterfalls on Broad Creek from the Google satellite images but first hand experience is always more valuable than imagery.

3: About how long did it take you to get from Fairyland back to 4B1 along Broad Creek? It seems like that is a more efficient way to get down in there vs going around by Coffeepot Springs.

Thanks again for writing up such a detailed post and providing pictures! It really helps us with planning.

Cheers!

Vince

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Nick likes this.
  9. scatman

scatman Member

Impasse Falls is the obstacle that keeps one from travelling down the creek to Fairylands. It is 25-30 feet in height with no way around so at some point you will have to head up to the top of the Promontory before heading back down to Fairylands. The drop down off the Promontory takes place on the Broad Creek side. You might be tempted to descend on the Shallow Creek side (mistake I made) but it is too steep. Also, you cannot follow Shallow Creek to Fairylands due to Golden Fleece Falls which is impassable (100 ft drop). So the question becomes where to take out of Broad Creek and work your way up and across the Promontory before dropping down to Fairyland. I'm not sure I know the answer to this. When I made my attempt, I went through Coffee Pot Hot Springs because I wanted to see the thermal area since I was already back in there.

10. Bob

Bob Trailmaster

We dropped in on the looking downstream left side of the actual basin. Easier just upstream of the basin on the right going downstream...That's where we climbed out. Kinda neat to see but most features are dead. I wanted to go down to the Yellowstone .... But ran out of time