Backpacking meals

I took the salami you suggested and really enjoyed it. No problems with it in canyonlands in Aug.
Had that with some hard white cheddar GF crackers, raisins, and peanuts.
Best lunches we have had backpacking in a long time.

We now live very close to a Whole Foods market and further away from all the others. We were in need of a good hiking salami and gave their Gusto Napoli, Applewood smoked salami a try. It is not inexpensive at 10 bucks for 6 oz but one can see where that money went. It is the best salami I’ve ever eaten by far. I’m spoiled now and doubt I’ll go back to anything else. We had it with a nice grass feed cheddar to accompany it but will find a good Gruyere to go with it. That is one of the top recommendations for hiking/backpacking cheeses by the cheese sellers in Europe and a cheese we already like and use.

Give this one a try and see what you think. I think everyone on this forum might like this salami.

3C9C9638-AF0A-4276-8AB2-B805AB8F3C61.jpeg

My all-time favorite preserved meat is Tyrolean speck (I prefer the leaner cuts, speck senza grasso), which I discovered in the Dolomites. I built a smoker to make my own at home from pork loin, but you can find it sometimes at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

My all-time favorite preserved meat is Tyrolean speck (I prefer the leaner cuts, speck senza grasso), which I discovered in the Dolomites. I built a smoker to make my own at home from pork loin, but you can find it sometimes at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

Similar to speck, bresola is a wonderful thing to take camping: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bresaola
it's sort of like beef jerky from heaven.

Going back to the Good-to-Go dehydrated meals, they're generally quite good, I definitely recommend trying. They take 20 minutes to rehydrate so you obviously need to wrap them in a hat or puffy jacket or similar, if you don't want to eat lukewarm food.

You could try Soylent or Huel if you haven't already. I can't find the word "gluten" on the Soylent site, but Huel says it has some gluten-free products. I've tried Soylent, with added powdered milk + butter.

As for repackaging meat, I'd do it only if starving, facing certain death otherwise.

Similar to speck, bresola is a wonderful thing to take camping: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bresaola
it's sort of like beef jerky from heaven.

Going back to the Good-to-Go dehydrated meals, they're generally quite good, I definitely recommend trying. They take 20 minutes to rehydrate so you obviously need to wrap them in a hat or puffy jacket or similar, if you don't want to eat lukewarm food.
Or you could do like I do and rehydrate them IN your pot or rewarm them in your pot. I know I know that messes things up and makes a dirty pot but I can't ever eat out of aluminum foil pouch ever again after that Bolivia experience so that is what I do when I eat freeze dried commercial food like when someone gifts me some.

Or you could do like I do and rehydrate them IN your pot or rewarm them in your pot. I know I know that messes things up and makes a dirty pot but I can't ever eat out of aluminum foil pouch ever again after that Bolivia experience so that is what I do when I eat freeze dried commercial food like when someone gifts me some.

That is what we’ve done for years, rehydrate in our pot. We don’t do store bought meals, dry our own. After bringing it to a boil, just shut the stove off and stick the pot in a cozy made from reflectix, super light and keeps the meal steaming for an hour if you need that, a great fuel saver.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nick Gear Review Paleo Meals To Go: Freeze dried, gluten-free backpacking meals Gear Reviews 8
Nick DIY Dehydrated Backpacking Meals General Discussion 78
B 3P Backpacking Tent Recommendation and Nemo Aurora feedback Gear 3
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
J Backpacking in the UK Backpacking 1
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
forest dweller What do you think are the most essential nutrients while backpacking? General Discussion 17
B 2P Backpacking Tent Recommendation Gear 13
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
forest dweller You guys keep a backpacking gear checklist in Microsoft Word you don't mind sharing? General Discussion 13
forest dweller I have tons of backpacking food past it's expired by date... General Discussion 10
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
DrNed Backpacking Light Memberships Resource Discussions 6
ANelson Backpacking with a 600MM Lens General Discussion 13
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
R Backpacking in the Pacific Northwest Trip Planning 7
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer 6 days backpacking Jotunheimen in the fall Trip Reports 4
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
kwc Backpacking on the Northville Placid Trail (NPT) Backpacking 13
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
SeanIsADesertRat Old guys backpacking in Dark Canyon Backpacking 17
norwegianxplorer Backpacking the Lofoten archipelago in arctic Norway Backpacking 6
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
T Southern Utah Backpacking ideas for MLK Weekend? Trip Planning 21
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
TrailScot Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter General Discussion 5
ghsmith76 Looking for best multi-day Backpacking Trips near Livingston, MT Trip Planning 6
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Rogen Nature Reserve, Sweden & Femundsmarka National Park, Norway Pt2 Backpacking 2
norwegianxplorer 10 days Backpacking Femundsmarka National Park and Rogen Nature Reserve, Norway and Sweden Backpacking 8
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Scandinavia, Norway & Sweden June-September Backpacking 4
andyjaggy A couple of Backpacking Trip Report Videos Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2
forest dweller How did you meet most of your backpacking companions? General Discussion 83
LarryBoy World's Wimpiest Backpacking Trip Trip Planning 19
Jamesoutside life Looking for backpacking buddy montana aug/sept Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
RyanP Snowy Range (WY) easy backpacking recommendations? Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer How a Reindeer herd w/calves invaded my camp & started fighting over turf, backpacking Femundsmarka NP Norway Backpacking 2