Backpacking in Yellowstone

I've never used a canister so I don't know about them. I haven't heard of any area in Yellowstone that requires a food canister. I did a quick search on their website and didn't find anything. Each campsite has a pole strung up high above between two trees where you hang your food and pack. I actually liked having that pole, it's much easier to get a rope over than a tree branch!

that's really interesting with the canisters. Because in the Adirondack they are required in the backcountry and we're only having black bears.
Anyway, if a food bag is okay, I'm good with that. The advantage of those bags are, they are less bulky and easier to handle. :)

New York! Oh man, I am jealous of you! Your state has some of the best waterfalls, especially in the fall!!!

that's my stomping ground, at least 200 waterfalls within a 3 hour drive in every direction. So you can guess where I've spent my weekends the last few fall seasons. ;)

This has been my expirence as well.

Bechler area has many waterfalls, this is an area I would love to explore as I love waterfalls! My co-worker went in many years ago in the spring and he was wading through water from ankle deep to mid thigh through Bechler Meadows.

I’ve heard Heart Lake is a good area, but never been. Good job posting this pdf Yellowstone 1. We used this for a lot of the information we needed when we backpacked it. I also recommend the hiking map by Earthwalk Press. I like this map because it includes the areas that were burned during the fire of ’88 (see the yellow and orange.
Here is what a section of the map looks like:
View attachment 241
That is a map I will pick up for sure! @Homer J On the snow in Bechler, I say that cause Grant and Lewis Lake campgrounds typically don't even open until mid June because of snowpack. I guess it just depends on the year. Another issue might be fording any creeks or rivers in the area with the runoff that time of year. Miss Buffalo Another cool waterfall to check out is Osprey Falls up by Mammoth.

That is a map I will pick up for sure! @Homer J On the snow in Bechler, I say that cause Grant and Lewis Lake campgrounds typically don't even open until mid June because of snowpack. I guess it just depends on the year. Another issue might be fording any creeks or rivers in the area with the runoff that time of year.
I asked my co-worker when he went it was when he was wading through water across Bechler Meadows and he said July 1st. So it was later than I thought.

I asked my co-worker when he went it was when he was wading through water across Bechler Meadows and he said July 1st. So it was later than I thought.
A place that I would really like to just hike into is the Pelican Valley. You can't start hiking too early there because the hours are limited to like 9am to 7pm, I believe. I'd like to hike into White Lake and back or maybe Pelican Cone. You can also do a backpack and stay near White Lake. HomerJ

Forgive me for bumping this old thread, but I am hoping to get out for a few nights in the Yellowstone backcountry soon and am looking for some ideas. I spent a few days with non hiking friends in the park a few weeks ago, and while still having a good time, it was a bit frustrating never leaving the tourist stops. I have to go back and do a little more exploring this fall. It's looking like it will work out for mid to late September for the wife and I to get out for probably 2 nights in the park. Would like to get in a bunch of fly fishing while we're there and I wouldn't mind either hiking to 2 different spots and make a loop out of it, or just doing out and back while staying in the same spot 2 nights. The NPS site is kind of pain to plan with because they don't tell you which sites are reservable and which are walk-ups. I am guessing the most of the reserved sites are taken, so we plan on being there at 8 to get spot. Does anyone have any ideas of decent hikes in the 3-5 mile per day range? Any other advice for hiking in the park?

Bechler Falls area has had legendary fishing in the past. Not the best for fishing but I love Boundary Creek. Dunanda Falls here is a bit under 9 miles in, fairly flat walking, spectacular falls and where the hot water mixes with creek water it can still be to hot so approach from distance and find sweet spot. To close to th e second pic source and apendages will burn off. Great spots to squat in the creek.

Dunanda & Me..jpg

YNP DUNANDA SPRING.jpg

I loved trip starting at Bechler Ranger Station to Dunanda Falls above and then on up the Bechler to grants Pass and on to Old Faithful. 3-4 nights. Great stuff, hopefully bugs are down for you. Great falls in the Cascade Corner.

YNP Bechle Colonade And Iriz Falls.jpg

Google other classics like Skyrim,Union Falls, etc. Slough Creek could have good fishing. Amazing fishing in the Teton Wilderness out of Turpin Meadow. Thorofare is more than just a few days.

Yellowstone is a special place. Vast and beautiful.
I've canoed into Shoshone Lake many times and each has been unique. I've never backpacked there but that is a bucket list item.
One memory was a year we took a small transistor radio and from the top of a knoll in the geyser basin turned it on to hear a scratchy announcement that Salt Lake City was chosen for the Olympic Winter Games.
That's a distant memory now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Absa, I'll have to check out some of those. Those falls look freaking awesome, but my wife may not be a fan of a 9 mile hike in, and with kids in school we are pretty limited on the days we can be gone.

Does anyone know if there is a list anywhere of which campsites are walkup and which are reservable? I can't seem to find it if it exists. I think I may just have to have 3 or 4 plans and show up and hope for the best.

If you're looking for good fly fishing, Slough Creek is tough to beat. I spent two nights up there in the 3rd meadow a few years ago and it was incredible. We got advanced permits, though, and you're right that the park service website doesn't give a good list of which sites are reserved in advance and which are walk-ups. If all else fails, you could camp at Slough Creek campground and dayhike into the meadows to fish. I know it's not what you wanted because it is not backcountry camping, but I also know that campground has walk-up permits so it might be an option anyway if you can't get backcountry permits.

Just did a trip in the northwest corner of the park. The camera broke day 2, so the video turned to picks. It's not a "typical" Yellowstone trip in that the Skyrim is nothing like the rest of the park. Really enjoyed that along with Sportsman Lake. Here's the video if anyone is interested. It's a bit amateur...but I didn't want to see the footage lost.

Just did a trip in the northwest corner of the park.

Good vid. I think that's the 'hilliest' part of yellowstone I've seen. Usually it's endless forest and meadows.